Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMWare or Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMWare or Proxmox

elgselgs Member

I played with both. I got a free ESXi 5.5 license from VMWare. They both seem to be very promising. What do you think about these two for production? Thanks.

Comments

• I would not deploy vmware in public - behind a firewall/LAN for business purposes okay.

I say proxmox because its stable and you won't need a license in the future.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

You cannot use any of the free or perpetual license for multi-tentant hosting (providing virtual servers to the general public). You must be in the VSPP program of VMWare in order to provide hosting services.

In this case, you should use Proxmox.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • I use proxmox on a online.net dedi, couldn't be happier :)

I tried out ESXI and virtualizor, none of them as straight forward as proxmox. And besides, there's so much documentation & tutorials out there for proxmox compared to esxi and virtualizor.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Proxmox! I tried to VMWARE route... It fu**ed me so bad :( If I went Proxmox then I'd most likely still be trading today.

• pbgben said: It fu**ed me so bad :(

License-wise?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Die_Quelle said:
    I would not deploy vmware in public - behind a firewall/LAN for business purposes okay.

Why?
    You can limit access to the web interface and ssh by IP if needed!?

• @mikho said:

for me it feels securer, but thanks for this advice.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Die_Quelle said:
    for me it feels securer, but thanks for this advice.

Vsphere also has a firewall where you can limit who can access specific services on your server.