Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[UGVPS] Should i rebrand? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[UGVPS] Should i rebrand?

Comments

• @curtisg said: ever heard of backorder?

never noticed that that is rip-off and you never actually get it without paying more?
    The $45 is just to let GoDaddy etc now that you're interested, they will grab it for like $10 and make you pay more, if you don't, then they haven't lost anything anyway, that's how it works.

backorder is like $300 or more eventually, most providers either just plainly rip you off or do fake bidding

• Keep it, re-brand down the road.. its still to young.

• @Patrick said: could have PM'ed him that so no one else chases after that domain :P

Her, Crystal is a female I believe.

• @Ishaq said: Her, Crystal is a female I believe.

Never know these days, what was that other provider named Ashley but was a guy?

• Who cares, I've seen some real ugly names succeed. How good you handle the job is what you really need to focus on.

Warm Regards

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited December 2012

@semoweb said: Never know these days, what was that other provider named Ashley but was a guy?

VMPort/GetKVM?

By the way, are you Dustin or another support tech?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Getkvm

• You could go with HostByCrystal :D
    Anyway its not about the name its how you manage your work and you do greate job Crystal.

• @5n1p said: You could go with HostByCrystal :D

Anyway its not about the name its how you manage your work and you do greate job Crystal.

This is an old thread, it looks like she decided upon the name UniqueGeek to fit 'UG' already. Pretty creative!

Although I'm not sure why Crystal didn't register uniquegeekVPS.com yet :P

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited December 2012

@N_Serian said: uniquegeekVPS.com

1). Because UGVPS.com is shorter
    2). Some poeple have issues remembering how to spell unique..
    3). Consumers don't have to relearn the domain.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

I own tinyno.de if you're interested.

• I have some good branding suggestions.

• How much? I can has?

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@SimpleNode said: How much? I can has?

PM meh

• haseltinehaseltine Member
    edited December 2012

Instead of asking people for advice, you should look at your own company.
    Rebranding isn't a good thing. And it's always a risky thing!
    A couple of things you should look into

1. Your customer base, is it big? How many customers do you currently have?
      If it's 20-50, then its bearable to change. If it's 100++, dude, you need to think thrice.
      You don't want to change your brandname and realize that you're losing your current customer base. It is as if Levi or Nike or even Coca-cola change their brandname. Did you know coke's brand equity is bigger than its solid asset? Simply put, if Levi is to rebrand, it will lose thousands of its loyal customers. The brand has asset and equity too! and the worst thing is it isnt something you can buy or build overnight. Changing brand name in business world can mean throwing away some of your solid asset.

2. The basis of branding itself in marketing only works for 3 reasons, Easy to Remember, Differentiate products from competitors, Create a Positioning in consumers mind. This is it. Nothing wrong with UGVPS. Do you think your brand is, easy to remember, is able to differentiate products from competitor and create a positioning in consumers mind? If it serve the 3 purpose, it works, as a brand name. A positining in consumer's mind means, the value consumer perceive your product. It can be either cheap boxes, quality boxes or managed boxes.

3. If say, you're close with every each of your customer, rebranding won't hurt. That being said, you have to have that touch feeling. Meaning to say, you are able to ensure that every each of them understand the purpose of your rebranding and it won't be perceive as another acquisition or buy off. Sending mass emails sometimes won't work. You have to calculate the risk of even one of them missed your email you sent. 1 lost of customer base is a lost of future investment.

4. If you already have a solid positioning, than you shouldnt be changing your name. That is, you serve a niche market, and the niche knows very well what you do. But if it doesn't communicate such purpose, or it has become "obsolete" due to competition clutters that differentiate the positioning the same as UGVPS, then go for rebranding. One thing in mind, is the future brand name can cover the losses of current brand equity, faster, better, and even profitable?

Instead of rebranding, I personally think you can easily bypass this issue people in leb mentioned. I mean no offence, if one do not put a thought on it, it is only a brand, nothing as such what peeps in the leb tells you so, girlie vps... constipation... what?
    This is what you can do to reposition what people think. Create a meaning for UG. Such as Uber Gigantic VPS. Put this brand logo as 5 cm in length on center top of your website. Redesign it so it tells people what it exactly mean but not some unappealing name which the peeps in leb has mentioned. This way it defeats their mind in perceiving it into something negative.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited December 2012

get a caveman to be your mascot and your saying can be "Beating our Competition over the Head!

• @Ishaq said: By the way, are you Dustin or another support tech?

I am indeed Dustin, nice to meet you ;)

• @semoweb said: I am indeed Dustin, nice to meet you ;)

Nice to meet you, too.

• Now hug and kiss.

• @UGVPS said: I just had a few people tell me i should.

Never seems to be a good enough reason to me, has to be a reasonable 'why' behind it.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited December 2012

Haseltine said "This is what you can do to reposition what people think. Create a meaning for UG. Such as Uber Gigantic VPS. Put this brand logo as 5 cm in length on center top of your website. "

I'm assuming you didn't even bother to look at the UGVPS website before posting your lengthy analysis because if you had looked at it you would have seen the "uniquegeek" logo which has been at the top of their site since the dinosaurs walked the earth.

• It is called magic of spamming.

• @domainBop Judging is never good. I did pay a visit, pal. All of this is what I've learnt in marketing classes and is purely a marketers view, not to rebrand. If you do realize, I put such numbering are just to allow readers to reaffirm a few things in the view of marketing before making a move, and that, my friend is one of them to have in mind. That is, let me put this in a simpler meaning so you, my friend who makes assumption is able to understand; instead of rebranding, solve the issue by turning a disadvantage into an advantage.

• @Taz A wise man once told me the blind leads the blind into cest pit. The magic of being blind.

• Being blind is not magic but a curse. If you can't open your 6th sense (which is a blessing for blind people, combined with 4 other sense that you have working), well bro, you got some issue to overcome.

• @Taz said: Being blind is not magic but a curse

Do you type to think or do you think to type?

If Blind = Curse
    And Magic = Curse
    Then Blind = Magic

• Magic is not curse but illusion and tricks combined with skill ;)

• frangofrango Member
    edited December 2012

For what it's worth, my 2 cents.

I work (and live off of) the direct response advertising industry. I am not an expert but have read a good couple of dozens of books on the topic and applied the stuff on several campaigns.

People don't buy/rent intangible services such as VPSs because of their name. It is the brand around it and how you leverage it that actually helps. And yes, it is easier to brand something with a name that people can instantly make a connection in their mind.

As an advice, I believe changing the name isn't nearly as important as it is building a brand around it. You can call your company "Best VPS" but if you don't leverage that in your sales copy, design, promotions, it won't mean/do a thing. (For example: your company, Best VPS, throws something like "you can't find a cheaper VPS anywhere!" all year long, you are not leveraging your brand so consumers won't separate you from the crowd)

In short: You can't make someone buy a service named "DirtVPS", the same way you can make them buy "AwesomeVPS". (read that again)

They don't buy because of it's name, the buy it because they recognise it as or can relate your brand with something positive or a feature you only offer (or at least you are the only one who actually leverages from it).

Here are some ideas:

DirtVPS (dirt cheap prices)
    FatVPS (big ass powerful VPS)
    MadVPS (crazy performance)
    NoBSVPS (no bullshit excuses VPS)

AuthorityVPS (market leader)
    LeaderVPS

Then again, people in this industry don't really buy based on the name, but you have to know it helps differentiate you from the crowd, which gives you an edge.

• haseltinehaseltine Member
    edited December 2012

@frango Well said, well said. Let me add a couple of a few lines here. Because of the nature of the industry, competition and product itself, the branding itself works only for the purpose of creating a Product Differentiation. That is, you market it by making it different so people would buy it. Such as, cheap like buyvm, awesome quality like prometeus etc etc. It only tells consumers where is your brand standing.

If you're selling a food, and call it cockroach jolly that might be another story. If you're selling a new-to-the-market product, a whole new kind of innovation, such as a new technology, calling it something unappealing can really hurt the future wannabe market. While it can be lengthy to explain how and why, the basis of the market needs the first group of consumers (Innovator) who are willing to take risks to try the product and then WOM to their friends.

But for VPSes. Calling it dipshit and provide top notch quality like prometeus people still buy like crazy. But of course that is a metaphor. lol. For the market itself is already saturated but at the same time growing, and the consumers especially need to be knowledgeable about the product only then they can use it, thus the only way competitors can compete is through differentiation and pricing as value, not the name of the brand. My point is, the consumers is already fully equip with the product knowledge, knows very well what is quality and what is not quality, and that is the thing you should be focusing on.

• To me the name doesn't matter, just the quality of service does. I think that you can stand out regardless of the name you use. Someone else mentioned shorter names are easier to remember and I agree with that (it's nicely short now).

This discussion has been closed.