Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hi we are a web hosting VoIP hosting company moving into the world of VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hi we are a web hosting VoIP hosting company moving into the world of VPS

ClancomsClancoms Member
edited November 2012 in General

can anyone tell me the the best way to go as far as do i want VMWare or HyperVM the + & - of the 2 ?

thank you

Comments

• Don't, if you are asking these questions.

• PM @DewlanceVPS or @ajones if you need help in the world of VPS.

• @Nexus said: PM @DewlanceVPS or @ajones if you need help in the world of VPS.

Please make sure Autoboot is set up...also make sure you know how to run Windows firewall in Linux

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

If you want to actually have a real conversation than talking to these guys email me at [email protected]

We can help you and give you some pointers

• @zhuanyi said: Please make sure Autoboot is set up...also make sure you know how to run Windows firewall in Linux

Also need to be able to run EXE in Linux.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page

Memorize this and you can't lose, if you already know how to run a server.

• actually CVPS_Chris we are a customer of chicagoVPS and are now going out on are own
    We are very versed in Linux and servers having been hosting Website and Teamspeak servers for many years now our only question here was what of the 2 are better easier to manage more stable you know the simple answer is all that is needed here not the dont and run away and all that just a simple educated answer lol or should i just Email CVPS_Chris like he said lol

• Wow bro, you need to learn to use punctuations.

@Clancoms said: actually CVPS_Chris we are a customer of chicagoVPS and are now going out on are own

We are very versed in Linux and servers having been hosting Website and Teamspeak servers for many years now our only question here was what of the 2 are better easier to manage more stable you know the simple answer is all that is needed here not the dont and run away and all that just a simple educated answer lol or should i just Email CVPS_Chris like he said lol

• Get. sysadmin and get them to setup for you

• @Clancoms said: not the dont and run away and all that

o.o

• Hi @clancoms, would love to work with you on your move into VPS systems. Do drop me a PM.

• Heh. Neo doing sysadminn work ?;-)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@concerto49 said: Also need to be able to run EXE in Linux.

Is this is a joke or you are serious?

(Beginners Tip: Linux can run .exe files using Wine)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

@Clancoms said: can anyone tell me the the best way to go as far as do i want VMWare or HyperVM the + & - of the 2 ?

1. VMWare
    • I never use VMWare
    1. HyperVM
    • Its a Free
    • Can run Windows/Linux (Note: Also VMWare can run Windiws/Linux)
    • Messaging system
  • VMWare is amazing if you have the money to pay for licensing (Please no cracked ESXI boxes, thanks.)

I think you're messing up Hyper-V with Hyper-VM, Hyper-V is really nice too. If your systems are Windows, that is.

All in all, please hire a sysadmin or consultant who can advise you better - you likely aren't about to find quality help or advice on these forums.

:)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Customers will love VMware VPSes, however, it will cost a ton for licensing.
    If you want to go that route, KVM will be better.
    Hyper-V works and is good for windows, but KVM is the standard pretty much these days.
    M

• VMWare server was free the last time i used it, but this was long time ago. How much do the licencses cost now?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 server is, however most people use ESXi and don't bother licensing it despite running it commercially so it is free but only sort of.

• ESXi is only free for personal use.

While nothing stops you from using it commercially, I'd think twice about buying from any host who does.

@rds100 said: VMWare server was free

It is still free however is EOL since 2010 IIRC and has some vulnerability.
    Boo to VMWare for dropping an otherwise great product.
    M

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: VMWare server was free the last time i used it, but this was long time ago. How much do the licencses cost now?

for service providers you need to subscribe a VSPP license. You agree to pay a fixed layer of "points" starting with 360.

Old contracts paid on a per virtual cpu allocated/per month, while the new contracts charge on RAM usage.

• OpenVZ:

• really easy to manage (e.g. free templates)
    • very transparent
    • bad reputation because of bad overselling hosts
    • not VM's, containers, so only supports Linux (shared kernel)

Xen PV:

• people think Xen PV is worth a lot more than OpenVZ
    • Xen community version isn't that community, it's Citrix trying to convince you to use their paid products
    • worse than OpenVZ in my opinion
    • templates cost money
    • being able to change system time or customer kernel is illusion (people might think Xen PV == Xen (HVM))
    • again, only Linux, this is ALSO a container, but looking like a VM

Xen HVM:

• fully virtualized (Windows, FreeBSD, etc)
    • Don't bother, this is complete crap, go with KVM

KVM:

• great community
    • support from Linux kernel people
    • People seem to rather buy Xen? (or is that an illusion at my end?)

Complete solutions:

VMWare:

• It's not an actual virtualization, it's rather an operation system
    • licenses for commercial use costs tons

HyperVM:

• not really supported

Hyper-V:

• no.

virtuozoo:

• made by Plesk, so of course compatible with plesk
    • OpenVZ is the free version

XenServer:

• commercial version of Xen
    • Easy to manage

Proxmox:

• Lovely, just lovely: OpenVZ + KVM, my favourites
    • Really easy control panel

SolusVM:

• start selling within only a few hours after setting everything up

OnApp/OpenStack:

• great interfaces/dashboards/management panels
    • most of the time require you to setup your nodes as a cloud, which isn't that great if you're starting small.
  • @BronzeByte said: Hyper-V:

• no.

uh? Why?

My personal experience has been very positive. I've been on both ends, although never sold containers based on it.

• Hyper-V is nice, just people are way too lazy to build okay frontends for it.

@BronzeByte said: Xen PV:

• people think Xen PV is worth a lot more than OpenVZ
    • Xen community version isn't that community, it's Citrix trying to convince you to use their paid products

Actually, it is supported by Debian quite hard, even tho RH dropped the support.

• worse than OpenVZ in my opinion

If you mean speed, you are right, it is somewhat slower. In any other aspect, it is better from the consumer point of view.

• templates cost money

Making your own template is trivial. It is also much better than rolling some created by ppl you dont know.

• being able to change system time or customer kernel is illusion (people might think Xen PV == Xen (HVM))

Actually, that is perfectly possible, just not as straight-forward as in a full HW virtualization as expected. Also custom kernel is fully possible, including some other *NIX-es, see below.

• again, only Linux, this is ALSO a container, but looking like a VM

Wrong again, you can use any domU aware kernel and, for example, freeBSD can run in Xen_PV without a virtualization-flagged CPU. It is NOT a container, will run own kernel if it is made aware of the dom0 one, they must work together.

Xen HVM:

• Don't bother, this is complete crap, go with KVM

While KVM is an equal contender here, RH support made it more popular, however, I do not find KVM faster or better overall than Xen-HVM. It is down to personal preference.

M

• I have bad experience when running opensips, kamailio, and asterisk on openvz. It is not stable.
    It work nicely on kvm and Xen.

I don't go further to find the problem with openvz, maybe i just doing misconfiguration, or maybe i'm not lucky.