Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is lowendtalk.com itself hosted in a low end box? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is lowendtalk.com itself hosted in a low end box?

13»

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@qrwteyrutiyoup said:
    Opera always reminds me of this... (from WebKit memes)

Haha, awesome. :)

• How many uniques does LET get per day?

The site loads fast for me but 3 dedis does seem like overkill

• I know but it use to run on LEBs and not high end servers.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    I usually loads pretty fast here in the boonies. However, there are sporadic blackouts where I have to wait a couple of seconds or more. The worst is the Cloudflare waits. I'm thinking that dumping Cloudflare might speed things up.

We recently dumped it for our company site. Response times were much faster and site loading time was faster too. CF is overrated.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

HostMyBytes said: CF is overrated.

I don't know much about it, but have noticed that when I'm waiting for a site to load it is usually a CDN that is holding it up. In the case of LET, if they have powerful servers (as mentioned above) surely common sense would suggest that adding another layer can only slow things down. That being said, perhaps they're using CF for some other reason where the slower performance is worth the trade-off.

• If CC's Buffalo network was better, this site could be hosted directly there (they have DDoS mitigation equipment), without CloudFlare's reverse proxy.

• HBAndrei said: Not sure what people are complaining about, it's almost an instant page load for me every time I browse LET, one of the fastest forums I've ever seen.

Because of heavy CF caching which is not really "optimization" but just moving problems to somewhere else.

• @SysAdmin can you add SSL for LET? BSA already does support ads over SSL.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

William said: Because of heavy CF caching which is not really "optimization" but just moving problems to somewhere else.

As long as it loads fast, why do we care?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

From our perspective, having the extra power to deal with high load events plus the benefit of additional fault tolerance is worth the investment of a few dedicated servers. Are there cheaper ways to run the site? Sure. Better ways though? Perhaps not.

• @alexvolk said:
    SysAdmin can you add SSL for LET? BSA already does support ads over SSL.

That's probably never going to happen, it makes fighting DDoS attacks that much more difficult.

• @SysAdmin said:
    That's probably never going to happen, it makes fighting DDoS attacks that much more difficult.

I'm sorry but doesn't CloudFlare proxify SSL traffic too? Let doesn't use CF other than DNS ? Right ? Just curious.

• BochiBochi Member

Maybe this are some of the quirks people mention from time to time:

Pretty annoying beasts...

• I got that screen myself and thought that was incredible timing after being told here that these 3 dedi's would load balance and bla bla bla uptime stuff.

Thanked by 1aldothetroll
  • SNetworks1 said: I got that screen myself and thought that was incredible timing after being told here that these 3 dedi's would load balance and bla bla bla uptime stuff.

All 3 dedicated servers exploded simultaneously.

For further reference please ask @tdale as he witnessed a similar event days ago.

Thanked by 1SNetworks1
  • tdaletdale Member

@traffic,

I didnt really witness anything more than what happened. So im not sure what help id be.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

@tdale said:
    traffic,

I didnt really witness anything more than what happened. So im not sure what help id be.

Irony may be difficult to notice on a forum. This is an example of that.

• It's not that ironic, people go out of their way to try to take this site down.

• BochiBochi Member

@SysAdmin said:
    It's not that ironic, people go out of their way to try to take this site down.

So this was an attack?

• I've probably already said too much, this is why I stay in the shadows, but I can be honest in saying there's a contingent out there who tries to ruin it for everyone.

• SysAdmin said: I've probably already said too much, this is why I stay in the shadows, but I can be honest in saying there's a contingent out there who tries to ruin it for everyone.

Have you tried Incapsula? They look much better than CloudFlare and its performance is also better in my experience.

• Not familiar with Incapsula, what makes them better then cloudflare?

• @SysAdmin said:
    Not familiar with Incapsula, what makes them better then cloudflare?

First of all, they have a real WAF. Here's a full comparison: https://www.incapsula.com/incapsula-vs-cloudflare.html