Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS hacked, bunch of VPS customers offline - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS hacked, bunch of VPS customers offline

Comments

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

@soluslab There is any security problem in SolusVM API?

• @DewlanceVPS said: @soluslab There is any security problem in SolusVM API?

Not that they can find, they're waiting additional info from ChicagoVPS.

• @soluslabs said: Thanks for this post. Very Very useful

It is. It warns both us and you guys. I believe you started when all the LxLabs trouble was going on and you'd be doing it differently, better. From what I get now and from what I get from using your product, you are just as bad. If not worse, because you've seen it all go wrong and still don't get it.

Instead of firing of at Francisco for telling the truth, you'd better get started with this: php.net/manual/en/book.pdo.php

• so you heard anything from CVPS so far? @soluslabs

• @apollo15 said: so you heard anything from CVPS so far? @soluslabs

Negative. It's not mandatory for them to give us an explanation. I would like one though.. just for the record.

• @Soluslabs you're confirming there is no known threat to current Solus installations providing that appropriate security measures are taken (restricting IP API etc)?

• Weird, so I guess Chris has lied once again.
    "We are now talking with SolusVM. So buzz off." - 4am today
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/147801#Comment_147801

• CVPS is still struggling to get folks back online. I won the lottery on this one :(

I'd give everyone benefit of the doubt and give them a few days after things settle to do a post incident wrap up.

• LeeLee Veteran

Chris is saying he is talking to solus. solus is saying he isn't. Yeah, benefit of the doubt right enough.

• @AsadHaider said: I like this. Unfortunately @KuJoe this is the stuff I have to do irl :(

Which course are you doing at Uni? Need to cross that one off my list of possibilities :|

• More bullshit from Chris, eh? I guess one of the many people the guy pissed off guessed his password was password123 and decided to piss him off in return.

Props to SolusVM for being active here, open to discussion and checking the code.

• Tell you what, if Solus folks don't hear from Chris about this, then I say heck with him.

I know how difficult a mass outage like this can be -- especially on little to no sleep with a tiny staff. So I give him plenty of rope. If he decides to use that benefit of the doubt rope to hang himself, well then, such is life.

• I wish that this situation was handled with more poise by CVPS but from what I understand there is a real issue here that the developers of the panel in question need to further examine. Given a few more days (once all their fires are put out) I expect that a more open line of communication will exist between CVPS/developers. For everyone else, just relax and take a step back. The pot shots back and forth, and sniping at CVPS helps no one.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@soluslabs said: Negative. It's not mandatory for them to give us an explanation.

Pretty funny how you opened a ticket with us, and Jeremiah said he has been talking to you.......

• Guess what, this is looking worse by the minute.
    Not only they lost the VPSes but also the Central Backup is gone.

• So, @soluslab is lying here?

• KairusKairus Member
    edited November 2012

@LAKid said: So, @soluslab is lying here?

Doesn't seem that way. A lot of what Chris has said is just contradictory.

• Either SolusVM are lying, or Chris is. Chris is a twat. That much is fact, so it's not much of a leap to assume he's a liar too.

• Don't care anymore as long as my box is up and running flawlessly.

• SolusVM should revoke his Licenses if this is true, as it is just damaging SolusVM as much as ChicagoVPS.

@Spirit said: As far as I see you put blame on SolusVM almost from beginning

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Jacob said: SolusVM should revoke his Licenses

I doubt that is possible, they can at most sue him.
    M

• @Maounique said: I doubt that is possible, they can at most sue him.

M

Pretty sure they can refuse service to whoever they want.

• @LAKid, still down, are you?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Zen said: The argument of how much they would lose VS the value of what they have 'lost' with this thread - comes into play to determine what they think is acceptable..

I can certainly say SolusVM hasn't lost any of my business from this thread, I hope it won't sway any others until something has been figured out worthy of writing down on paper. The guys have provided unbelievable support for me when I've had any issues, the kind that makes me want to buy them a drink. They've been very quick to make their presence known here at the slightest indication that there could be an issue, which I very much appreciate as well. Hopefully that's the same picture everyone else is seeing.

• @pubcrawler up, no problem at all.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Maounique said: I doubt that is possible, they can at most sue him.

M

It's very much possible, they did it to us :P

We were pissed off with Solus' progress on IPV6 RDNS so we coded our own into a page and merged it right in along side solus at the time. I bragged about it on WHT and they simply locked our license.

After that was squared away we said screw it and worked on Stallion.

As Corey said, it's their product and they decide who they work with. If they don't want to sell you a license? That's their choice.

Francisco

• I also think @soluslabs was the good one in this case, Chris was and still is the asshole.

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited November 2012

Can't smart people guess?
    10 servers went down at the same time and data is also gone as well as backup, then, what is it?
    Can't be HD failure, ...?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@Francisco said: It's very much possible, they did it to us :P

Hum, over here you cannot refuse service to anyone unless you have a valid reason. Closed clubs and such are exempted. Maybe in US it is different. Besides, it would be a violation of a contract, can at most revoke licenses when they expire.
    M

• @Maounique said: Maybe in US it is different.

SolusLabs is a UK company

This discussion has been closed.