Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding Windows 10 Upgrade
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Regarding Windows 10 Upgrade

ShivamShivam Member

hello,

Basically on all my other home user laptops, i can see the windows 10 upgrade icon.

But on mine i can't

Windows 7 Home premium - Toshiba L755

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Don't update - it's only free for one year, then you have to pay license fee to continue using it.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

rds100 said: it's only free for one year

pretty sure you can keep it forever as long as you don't reinstall

I can't see the upgrade icon either. -.-

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited July 2015

You need to have 8.1 to upgrade, isnt?

• rds100 said: Don't update - it's only free for one year, then you have to pay license fee to continue using it.

Where did you get that from?

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

@Silvenga said:
    Where did you get that from?

It's Microsoft, nothing is for free.

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • ShivamShivam Member

You dont have to have 8.1 thats for sure. And i'm pretty sure its free after you get the license as long as you've paid for your windows 7/8

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited July 2015

@rds100 said:
    Don't update - it's only free for one year, then you have to pay license fee to continue using it.

Wrong, you can upgrade during one year for free and the license remains valid forever. And one year after the release (July/August 2016) you have to purchase a license if you didn't take the free upgrade before.

They want to quickly push as many users as they can to Windows 10, probably to avoid that Windows 7 gets a second Windows XP, lasting forever.

EDIT: Volume licenses and similar keys like that are ofcourse not eligible for the free upgrade.

• LeeLee Veteran

You will never have to license Windows 10 as such, there are no more major releases any more, just updates and patches.

You get it free in the first year if you already have windows 7 or above however it will require a monthly/yearly fee to keep getting patches and access to the content that will no doubt make Windows 10 shit without them.

• MeanServers said: It's Microsoft, nothing is for free.

ASP.Net 5. :P

• NeoXiD said: Volume licenses and similar keys like that are ofcourse not eligible for the free upgrade.

Yup. No 10 icon for me. I don't know why they hate volume keys.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited July 2015

@sdglhm said:
    Yup. No 10 icon for me. I don't know why they hate volume keys.

Because they usually come already with anually contracts/subscriptions? Also, that's where Microsoft makes some real money.

• rds100rds100 Member

NeoXiD said: Wrong, you can upgrade during one year for free and the license remains valid forever.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

You can see the prices.

Thanked by 1badpatrick
  • NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited July 2015

@rds100 said:

Yes, but you have to read the whole article before making a statement. I do agree that I also see:

What will it cost? For Windows 7 and 8.1 users: free for one year; then $129/£99/€135 to start

and

However, if you're not eligible for Microsoft's upgrade program – those who upgrade after the first year free offer, or those running a non-genuine Windows version or one older than Windows 7 – Windows 10 Home will cost $119 (£99, €135, about AU$156) and Windows 10 Pro will cost $199 (about £131, €178 AU$262) per license, Microsoft confirmed to TechRadar.

but

The company promises that it will support those who scored a free upgrade to Windows 10 with security and system updates for the lifetime of those Windows devices.

Free security & system updates for the whole lifetime of all upgraded devices. They've stated that already in January and February. That said, it's unclear yet how reinstallations / bigger hardware changes will be treated.

• sinsin Member
    edited July 2015

Use the script on this page: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b

I ran it and after like 5 minutes (you'll see a bunch of stuff looping through the commandline just leave it running) the icon appeared on my taskbar.

• I've been trying out the preview as my daily driver. It's not very impressive, its a reskin thats all. Just keep your current OS and don't have to pay.

• AmarielleAmarielle Member
    edited July 2015

Why do people find this so difficult to understand? If you upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 or 8/8.1 within the first year the upgrade cost will be waived. If you don't, and decide you want Windows 10 after that time is up, you pay the prices linked above. I'll be surprised if they charge for updates for Windows 10 users in the next few years, and don't instead opt for the "OS X" model where the OS is free - driving people towards the app store/Office 365 etc for revenue instead.

Thanked by 24n0nx Silvenga
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited July 2015

@rds100 said:

Partially incorrect. It's going to be free to download for 1 year, THEN after that 1 year period is over you will have to pay to BUY IT or UPGRADE. When you get it for free in that 1 year span, you DO NOT need to pay any type of fee for updates or licences FOREVER.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Amarielle said: and don't instead opt for the "OS X" model where the OS is free - driving people towards the app store/Office 365 etc for revenue instead.

Yes!

Microsoft is more and more adopting Apple practices -.- Depending on a company is soo annoying >:(

• Dillybob said: Partially incorrect. It's going to be free to download for 1 year, THEN after that 1 year period is over you will have to pay to BUY IT or UPGRADE. When you get it for free in that 1 year span, you DO NOT need to pay any type of fee for updates or licences FOREVER.

Cite your sources please. I can't find any official references to support what you are claiming.

• I also can't find anything that it'll be free. Microsoft isn't that stupid to give licenses forever since they changed from "lifetime" to "monthy/yearly" billing. That way they can get cash each month!

• @Silvenga said:
    Cite your sources please. I can't find any official references to support what you are claiming.

Everyone's questions can be found here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

• Dillybob said: Everyone's questions can be found here

Misread your comment, I blame confusing pronoun usage.

• @Silvenga said:
    Misread your comment, I blame confusing pronoun usage.

..and I blame your comprehension.

• @rds100 said:

It's free for life if you upgrade in the first year. Microsoft have the worst PR company just like GVH...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/17/windows-10-free-for-1-year-what-happens-next/

`That’s ok, but it’s verbose and buried in a blog. So may I suggest to Microsoft it simply put this direction on the Windows 10 front page itself:

‘Upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year and it is yours free, forever. No subscriptions, no additional costs.’`

And

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/may/28/five-questions-about-free-upgrade-microsoft-windows-10

`Will Windows 10 expire?
    I read somewhere that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will expire after one year and that the user will then have to pay for the upgrade. Is this so? Alasdair

No, that’s completely wrong. Once you have installed Windows 10 and made a note of your product key, it’s yours forever. Well, you can use it until Microsoft stops supporting it, which is usually 10 years.`

• Am I the only one who thinks that each Windows OS version is better than the last?

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited July 2015

KeithGiacomo said: Am I the only one who thinks that each Windows OS version is better than the last?

Except for windows vista and 8, yeah. (8 for tablets was probably fine)

• @Dillybob said:
    Except for windows vista and 8, yeah. (8 for tablets was probably fine)

8 on a laptop would suck if the laptop wasn't touchscreen. Luckily though, mine is. :)

• KeithGiacomo said: 8 on a laptop would suck if the laptop wasn't touchscreen. Luckily though, mine is. :)

It sucks even on a touchscreen laptop.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Anybody having any luck getting the Windows 10 app working on Windows 7 inside VMware Player? I got the app working on Windows 7 inside ESXi but not VMware Player where my primary OS lives. :( Might be building another ESXi server for home.