Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why KVM? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why KVM?

2»

Comments

• @rds100 said: My point was that if someone wants your files and is willing to pay me $2M to get them - he will have it, no matter how you try to hide those files ;-)

LOL, true that :)

• @rds100 said: My point was that if someone wants your files and is willing to pay me $2M to get them - he will have it, no matter how you try to hide those files ;-)

Just mount the KVM imagefile or volume on the host... no issue with a few trys to find out what FS it is.

• @William could be encrypted volume. Still there is a way around it, if there is enough motivation.

• I think there are a lot of newbies on LEB who see VPS as an upgrade to shared hosting.
    e.g I have some 5 year old images probably Fedora 8, Ubuntu 6.06 or something even more ancient. With KVM I can get those images running again and I won't even need the hosting provider to install the ancient ISOs.
    I have even had some providers here query why I need Ubuntu 8.04??!? Well it is because I am using Ubuntu 8.04 I need a KVM or Xen HVM service.

When the time comes when you've made a lot undocumented/adhoc customisations to your system and your provider says he is shutting down or something, you will see the benefit of KVM.

There is a reason why VMWare is raking it in so much. There is a lot of legacy stuff whose developers have left the company, only consist of binaries etc. Try running an ancient Windows NT4 or OS/2 system on OpenVZ.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rchurch said: Try running an ancient Windows NT4 or OS/2 system on OpenVZ.

There is no doubt that there are ppl who NEED kvm/vmware/xen-HVM, etc. What I wonder is how meany REALLY need it.
    I dont put sensitive files unencrypted on OVZ so I have no such a problem, I always loved OVZ, tho I love Xen more.
    KVM is OK, but Xen-HVM is just as good if you need the full machine-like feeling.
    It may be that KVM will soon pass Xen given the push from RH and the drop of Xen support but that is just artificial/external intervention, Xen is a stable and proven technology, will not go so soon, no matter what RH/providers push/pull.
    There was choice and the customers saw that was good.
    M

• @Asim said: Lastly, I was discussing performance issues (6mo ago) with a host and it informed me that one container was doing xyz and he killed his processes, I was like can you do that and see the processes, he was like YES so thats not-ok with me.

Wait, so you can't view running processes from the host node of KVM containers? Where the hell do the processes go? Why is it not OK with you that a provider can kill a malicious process to keep you stable?

• @Corey said: Wait, so you can't view running processes from the host node of KVM containers? Where the hell do the processes go? Why is it not OK with you that a provider can kill a malicious process to keep you stable?

A KVM guest is a process on the hardware node.

• iwebsourceiwebsource Member
    edited November 2012

Don't forget, the great thing about KVM servers are that they support additional HD images, like a second hard drive. Partitioning LVM as well works flawlessly!

Also, the future of KVM is also looking good :)