Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VNC Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VNC Help

SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
edited November 2011 in Help

Hello,
I have a small issue with VNC, VNC runs perfectly, but when I add more users to it, Eg, User1, User2 and User3. All 3 Users can see the same desktop, If, User1 has FireFox open, even User2 and User3 can see that,

Is there a way to give the 3 users a different desktop's each ? So that its like their own desktop ? and in which they can't see each other's work ?

Comments

• What's the OS on the VPS?

From a quick google, it appears that out of the box, most OS don't support such which to me seems strange considering all those getty's running on my VPSes. I thought that that's what they're supposed to be there for. Many of the discussions I've found are years old though as well.

Seems that there are a number of methods around that to allow multiple VNCs but they appear to be OS based. Or at least *nix vs windows.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

I'm currently using CentOS, I could switch to Debian, No probs.

I saw a few Linux RDP selling hosts do that.. That's when I tried, with no success :( wonder how they do it.

Anyway's No prob's :) Thanks for your time @drmike ! Appreciate that :)

• You can configure VNC to start more than one server, using the display variables.

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/

Each display number is a new port starting from the base port (5900). So to access VNC session 2 you would enter myserver.com:5902, session 4 would be at myserver:5904 etc

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

So, If I run the server at different ports

User1 = Port 5902
    User2 = Port 5903
    User3 = Port 5904

Then, all 3 users would have different desktops right ? Separate & Private desktops ? I'll surely give it a try :D

Thanks ! @robvas !