Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostress.net (Former GVH/TacVPS) - Data loss, multiple locations at the same time. - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostress.net (Former GVH/TacVPS) - Data loss, multiple locations at the same time.

12346»

Comments

• @Francisco said:

Thanked by 2Francisco cassa
  • next up: all hostress clients migrated to BuyVM!

Thanked by 2KwiceroLTD Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Bruce said:
    I'm not suggesting YOU hacked them. I'm asking you to confirm that this was hacking by someone

No no, I get that.

I can confirm that the nodes were wrecked in an extremely malicious manner. /vz/root was rm -rf'd to screw over the PLOOP's and then on top of that they wiped the partition tables. I don't know who did it nor were the nodes root partitions in any workable shape to look for logs.

As I said, I was able to recover partition tables in spots but that did little to help since all the data inside the PLOOP's were toast.

I don't know why people think he did this to himself. @tdale has already remade peoples VM's on the exact same nodes with the exact same specifications. If he was nuking people and going 'woops we cant give you what you actually had' then I would cry foul, but this was just malicious play.

We all know that Jonny handed root access to any 12 year old girl that he thought could do migrations or do support tickets. Everyone and their dog molested those nodes and had their fingers all over them. I'm assuming @tdale did his best to scrub the nodes clean, but it's obvious he should've reinstalled the nodes that has split /vz partitions, and ordered new nodes for the ones that were shared and do a migration.

Live & learn. It's a cluster fuck and I feel really shitty for the customers that lost their data.

Francisco

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

JoeMerit said: next up: all hostress clients migrated to BuyVM!

If only...!

• @perennate said:
    Droidzone they probably accidentally did dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

Love the joke.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the server entered into kernel panic after? I mean, it's not like he's node slabbing, right?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Francisco said: Originally i was really excited since it looked like we had recovered a box, but only once we loaded an OpenVZ kernel (originally did our repairs/testing with gparted) did we realize the ploops were empty.

Am I the only one who is somewhat amazed that @Francisco would take time to help a competitor, particularly when it's something as craptastic as one of the GVH horror shows?

I was blown away when Fran spent an hour with me on a $15/year VPS issue years ago, and I was a paying customer, not a rival host.

The man is a community treasure.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    Am I the only one who is somewhat amazed that @Francisco would take time to help a competitor, particularly when it's something as craptastic as one of the GVH horror shows?

To be honest, it's not a surprise - this is like the nth time I've heard of him doing something like this.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • BruceBruce Member

@raindog308 said:
    The man is a community treasure.

paid consultant I presume. still, respect to him for helping out. would have been a bigger mess otherwise

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Bruce said:
    paid consultant I presume. still, respect to him for helping out. would have been a bigger mess otherwise

I've not been paid for any consulting work to date. @tdale is one of the few to offer to pay for my time.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Bruce
  • yyyspamyyyspam Member
    edited July 2015

TL;DR
    If you have Redhat based distro with hostress, and it's booted, but not online, use serial console in SolusVM and:
    1. add "ARPCHECK=no" to "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0:0"
    2. service network restart.
    as stated https://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3169#c9
    back up your data.

if you had the same problem and rebuilt your VPS as they suggested, my condolences.

Hi, since this thread might be the most visible one for clients for former GVH, current hostress.net clients. I wanted to report a way to deal with a problem I was having during all this fiasco.

During the downtime, I noticed my VPS was on, but inaccessible from the internet, including the serial console from the WHM client area.
    I submitted a ticket and waited. I didn't do anything with it thinking that I lost my data (had a backup from 3 days ago so it was a soft blow for me), and was waiting for my VPS to be reimaged. Well, after the 48hrs passed there was no update so I replied to the ticket for an update. Long story short I was asked to rebuild the VPS from SolusVM. Not gonna lie, completely didn't think of going through SolusVM due to all the changing owners, thinking that the address to the CP would have changed.

Fortunately I was able to log into it and even better, was able to get through the serial console. From there I managed to debug the issue.

systemctl status network -l output the same error as stated here:

http://lists.openvz.org/pipermail/users/2015-March/006121.html

Apparently this is a bug with vzctl versions <4.9. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.
    https://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3169

Can't say I found the way things were handled to be pleasant (actually, quite the opposite), but since I'm paying $5/yr, I didn't expect much. I'm not justifying the hosts' actions, I'm merely stating that client should always be weary of their hosts. If shit hits the fan, you are the one losing data. The host can only provide you with compensations. So the question is if you find that trade worth your time.

• BruceBruce Member

website says 99.99% guarantee. @tdale hasn't offered any compensation, yet. an email to explain "something bad happened" is good, but not really enough. maybe as a token, add an extra month of service. just an idea :)

• It seems like it was figured out a couple of days ago that the nodes were hacked, why has there been no email notification for the customers about this?

• gsrdgrdghd said: why has there been no email notification for the customers about this?

@tdale didn't want to.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    It seems like it was figured out a couple of days ago that the nodes were hacked, why has there been no email notification for the customers about this?

His got a bunch of empty nodes now... Let him make his money.. (stay quiet hopefully no body notices tactic? lol)

• tdaletdale Member

An email was sent out.

• tdale said: An email was sent out.

AFAIK that email didn't mention that all data on the VPS could possibly have been/was likely stolen

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think @tdale needs a break, I would say the same thing even if I found out tdale actually was johnny, a line has been crossed and kicking him at this point serves no purpose.

This thread has served its purpose all info and more is out there now, I am closing it down before it becomes a support thread for "where is my data?"

Thanked by 3Traffic tdale cassa
This discussion has been closed.