Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need: Windows QCOW2 Openstack image
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need: Windows QCOW2 Openstack image

Can anyone upload/link a working QCOW2 Openstack image for any of the windows namely :win7 / Win 8 / Srv 2008R2/ Srv 2012

I tried using this one here at cloudbase.it, it loads to the instance but then the instance doesn't boot

I'm using Mirantis Openstack and upon raising a ticket, they said I will need to create my own image or check elsewhere as they do not have "official licensing" to provide windows support... the platform however does support windows.

Please put some thoughts....

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

You should be able to boot the instance from a Windows ISO file, attach a volume (assuming your platform supports that?), install Windows on the volume, and then boot an instance from the volume (or convert volume to image and boot from that).

What platform are you using? Or is "Mirantis" a provider (from the website it sounds like it's just some software)?

• Yes Mirantis is a provider and they have free Express trials running. I've been running my linux practice on them, I just wanted to try out my hands with Windows but encountered this problem.

No the ISO doesn't boot -- probably it keeps looking for VirtIO drivers

• Ah i need this too, better it can be resize able depend on the flavor.
    i create from iso but cant resize by flavor even the size have match and bigger than the qcow image.

mgilang said: Ah i need this too, better it can be resize able depend on the flavor. i create from iso but cant resize by flavor even the size have match and bigger than the qcow image.

Have you tried http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/windows-image.html ?

• HDD = ???
    please inbox

vnndotmx said: HDD = ??? please inbox

Hm, is the answer DD3?

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

nah I think it's XFS

HDD = XFS please inbox

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @perennate said:
    Hm, is the answer DD3?

eg : HDD = 20Gb or 30Gb

edited June 2015

20Gb and 30Gb are four characters, not three. That's why I was guessing three-letter words for your puzzle. Please make sure the puzzle is correct in the future before posting.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited June 2015

PLs explain what you mean by HDD = xxx ? What do i need to check and tell ?

Also I tried to load a Windows ISO and create instance from it, all I see in my console is
    Imgur

The ISO mounted supposedly includes VirtIO Drivers, so I'm not sure why the ISO isn't even booting at all. Any pointers ?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@mehargags said:

No the ISO doesn't boot -- probably it keeps looking for VirtIO drivers

If you have a correct, bootable ISO it would atleast boot and stop on the page where you select the drive/partion to install the OS if the problem were VirtIO drivers. Because the installation can't find any drives.

What you can do in that case is to either install the drivers into the ISO (make sure the ISO remains bootable) if you have access to the ISO.

• Hey @Mikho...
    Can you connect me to an ISO which you are sure off will boot correctly ? if so, pls connect so I can try....
    Appreciate your help!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
  • fLoofLoo Member

http://mirror.corenoc.de for a working digitalrivercontent mirror. :)

• Hmm -- don't have a Win 7 serial handy right now...
    I am downloading windows 10 tech preview for now, let me take a shot with it. Else will try to upload a Genuine win 7 ISO that I have on my PC.
    Thanks

• @fLoo.... Many Thanks for the pointer... Going to try out!

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited June 2015

Well, I tried with Win10 and win 7 (from fLoo's) but the same result.
    Actually, when I Spawn a new instance, I think OpenStack dumps the ISO to Hard drive and then it doesn't know how to boot and what.

I tried attaching the volume from ISO to the instance but then I can't figure out how I can "choose" the boot volume. As told by the Support of Mirantis, I need a QCOW2 image only, which I did and still have the same results.

The Windows just doesn't boot.

Can anyone of you Sign up for a FREE TRIAL.... its actually not bad to get a 4c/4gb/80GB resource free to use and practice... I've been running Linux pretty fine!

You need a company/corp. email ID, public email like gmail/hotmail is not accepted

• RurikoRuriko Member

mehargags said: Sign up here https://express.mirantis.com/request-trial You need a company/corp. email ID, public email like gmail/hotmail is not accepted

How long is the trial for?

• When I signed up 3 months before -- it was for ONE FULL YEAR... not bad hmmm ?