Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A rootkit is like a crazy serial rapist with a very big dick
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A rootkit is like a crazy serial rapist with a very big dick

ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
edited June 2015 in General

Anyone else watch the premier of Mr. Robot on USA yet?
Not bad overall, they at least got a lot of things they talked about, showed, or portrayed pretty much right -- but some of it felt awkward -- like the "desktop environment" scene LOL.

Comments

• You been drinking tonight?

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • @Dillybob said:
    You been drinking tonight?

Read much?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I watched it a few weeks back and I liked it. Compared to other shows/movies they at least made an attempt at being somewhat accurate and I appreciated that. They did fictionalize some things for sake of story and "wow" factor but it's stuff that could be overlooked. When they showed an IP address that had an octet larger than 255 I was like "oh boy" but I'm sure that was for legal reasons.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The only thing I didn't like is that I found the lead character to be somewhat unbelievable. Maybe if you've met someone with a similar personality it can draw from that, I never have. So you've got these fairly realistic references to tech but you've got a character that I just can't identify with at all.

But that's episode one. Usually takes a few episodes to make a character.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited June 2015

Thread title not clear enough, got my dick stuck in a hard drive bay

• @nexmark said:
    Thread title not clear enough, got my dick stuck in a hard drive bay

You too?!

Thanked by 2OnraHost BensDaMan
  • KuJoe said: When they showed an IP address that had an octet larger than 255 I was like "oh boy" but I'm sure that was for legal reasons.

Just like 555 phone numbers. Although RFC 5737 does specify IPv4 ranges for documentation.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Yeah that desktop environment part was super cringey

• wychwych Member

telephone said: Just like 555 phone numbers.

As a kid growing up in the UK the only US number I knew was off die hard 555-2491...

• sinsin Member

I still say the movie Hackers is the most realistic portrayal.......of Angelina Jolie's boobs :)

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug niceboy
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

ItsChrisG said: A rootkit is like a crazy serial rapist with a very big dick

I totally WTF at this thread, but you seem to have a vivid imagination, you should write erotic fiction. ^^

• @wych said:
    As a kid growing up in the UK the only US number I knew was off die hard 555-2491...

555-3226 for me

Thanked by 1wych
  • Heroin junkies cant code

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

telephone said: Just like 555 phone numbers. Although RFC 5737 does specify IPv4 ranges for documentation.

Nice...I never knew that.

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited June 2015

@ItsChrisG Your the only true serial rapist.

@coolice said:
    Heroin junkies cant code

Perhaps they take a more relaxed approach while building their framework?

• @Jar said:
    The only thing I didn't like is that I found the lead character to be somewhat unbelievable. Maybe if you've met someone with a similar personality it can draw from that, I never have. So you've got these fairly realistic references to tech but you've got a character that I just can't identify with at all.

Actually a lot of people are like that in this Internet world of ours! I know several that are like that or similar!
    In fact, his character reminded me of someone specifically all the way down to the snuffing of morphine and description of his feelings/thoughts - made it seem pretty real/good to me then.

Though I do hate the whole 'anon' aspect they are trying to pitch on him, makes him seem like a bit of a bitch.

Thanked by 1jar
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Jar said:

As somebody who shares some of these aspects - notably the loneliness, because of other people failing to understand the reason behind your decisions - and knowing some other even more similar people... I can say that their portrayal of his character is disturbingly accurate. Possibly the most accurate portrayal of this state of mind that I've ever come across.

Thanked by 2jar Nomad
  • smansman Member
    edited June 2015

Mr. Robot was very good imho. At least the first episode. Will see how it goes. They got me hooked.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2015

@Jar said:

The main character suffers from an anti-social disorder. That's why he's in therapy. It's clinical. Not just garden variety introvert.

Will see where they go with that. It could be that everything including that secret hacker society and the guys in black suits following him are just his imagination. A lot of different ways they can go.

Thanked by 1jar

sman said: Will see where they go with that

Quite possible he grows on me a lot more. If I think about it, there's been more than a few first episodes where the characters really turn me off but I keep watching, 2-3 episodes in and I'm all in.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited June 2015

jmckeag12 said: Perhaps they take a more relaxed approach while building their framework?

Maybe if they show weed creative card can be played, but heroin? I grow up in a ghetto like neighbourhood in the times where that drug was popular, one heroin junkie take my pocket money on several occasions before we send him to jail and another one which lives on the block next to shcool die and i know a guy which brother die from overdose... I can guarantee when they was high drugs make them slow on the brains, best idea idea they got to make money for the drug was to take several teenagers pocket money, sell their moms video player or take cars radios, nothing creative or sophisticated...

• Heroin? He was doing morphine, its different

• Just watched it. I dug it. The desktop environment scene's dialogue was super cringe-y.

• @ItsChrisG said:
    Heroin? He was doing morphine, its different

It is one molecule difference...

Morphine is a highly addictive substance.

In controlled studies comparing the physiological and subjective effects of heroin and morphine in individuals formerly addicted to opiates, subjects showed no preference for one drug over the other. Equipotent, injected doses had comparable action courses, with no difference in subjects' self-rated feelings of euphoria, ambition, nervousness, relaxation, drowsiness, or sleepiness.[33] Short-term addiction studies by the same researchers demonstrated that tolerance developed at a similar rate to both heroin and morphine.

Morphine addiction is the model upon which the current perception of addiction is based.

Animal and human studies and clinical experience back up the contention that morphine is one of the most euphoric of drugs on earth, and via all but the IV route heroin and morphine cannot be distinguished according to studies because heroin is a prodrug for the delivery of systemic morphine.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2015

@ItsChrisG said:
    Heroin? He was doing morphine, its different

Not so much. Just less of a high (morphine).

• ItsChrisG said: He was doing morphine, its different

Heroin is simply morphine with an acetyl molecule attached. They are both converted to the same form of morphine when they get into the body. The only significant difference between them is that the acetyl molecule allows heroin to cross the blood-brain barrier more quickly than ordinary morphine. The result is that, in terms of dosage, heroin is about three times stronger. Heroin is illegal simply because of plain old legislative ignorance of the subject.

KuJoe said: When they showed an IP address that had an octet larger than 255 I was like "oh boy" but I'm sure that was for legal reasons.

I was thinking maybe they could use an IP address assigned to them by ARIN, but then I did a lookup for USANetwork.com and realized they use Amazon AWS/EC2 to host their website. :o

• HostNunHostNun Member
    edited June 2015

@hostnoob said:
    Yeah that desktop environment part was super cringey

@mikeyur said:
    Just watched it. I dug it. The desktop environment scene's dialogue was super cringe-y.

Wait a second. You mean to tell me a mainstream TV show's narrative fiction got it wrong re: something approximating a believable 'desktop environment'? I'll watch anything with Christian Slater, though, even if he's portraying some cheesy caricature of a hacker villain. Impossible for him to do any wrong after Heathers. :)

EDIT: Why not name the rootkit Castration Anxiety ?

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited July 2015

OMG!!!!! This shows Cliffhangers are driving me crazy!!!! Can't wait till next Wednesday now!

But I got to say they do a very good job at keeping you watching.

@ChrisMiller said:
    OMG!!!!! This shows Cliffhangers are driving me crazy!!!! Can't wait till next Wednesday now!

Dude, do what I just did. Get really drunk and rent Ex Machina on iTunes. It'll fuck with your head.

• Jar said: Dude, do what I just did. Get really drunk and rent Ex Machina on iTunes. It'll fuck with your head.

I'm already drunk so Step 1 = Complete.

Thanked by 1jar