Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I need to response to a ticket that I solve it myself or just close the ticket?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do I need to response to a ticket that I solve it myself or just close the ticket?

michaelphanmichaelphan Member
edited June 2015 in General

Hi,

I know there are many hosting/VPS/server... providers here. I'm a customer :)
So I just ask for your opinions.

Some cases:

• When I open a ticket => received your reply to asking for more details about the situation => I solve it myself by google it

• When I open a ticket => received your reply to give me some clues about the situation => I solve it myself follow your help

• When I open a ticket => you still not reply yet => I solve it myself by google it

The question is that after I solved it, I just close the ticket or response to let you know that I solved it. Which one is better?

1. Do I need to response to a ticket that I solve it myself or just close the ticket?28 votes
    1. A reply will help me take care every issue of my clients better :v
      35.71%
    2. just close it, I will never mind :))
      64.29%

Comments

• sonicsonic Veteran

just close

• I feel if they helped you to solve it a response saying thank you might make all the difference. Although that's probably the entirely wrong thing for me to do but these people deal with hundreds of tickets a day and probably only get a thank you from about 10% of them...

• Sometimes I hesitate to say thank you because it would cause extra workload for the support agents to read the message then close the ticket. But I personally think a thank you message will mean a lot to an agent.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Sometimes I hesitate to say thank you because it would cause extra workload for the support agents to read the message then close the ticket. But I personally think a thank you message will mean a lot to an agent.

Yah that's it, sometimes I really want to say thank you for their help but I hesitate it would make them spend a time to open the ticket read it and then ask us to close it or not...

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I don't mind if clients close the ticket after they resolved it themselves but I prefer to get confirmation they resolved it or if it's a weird issue I like to know how they solved it so I can add it to our KB or I can share it with other clients if they run into it.

What I do not like is when a client opens a ticket, closes it, and complains that we never helped them. If the ticket is closed then that means it's not in the queue for us to work and if it's not in the queue then we don't know about it.

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • It depends on the issue. If you think it may affect other clients also, replying will help many people. In other cases just close it.

Thanked by 1W3HostingServices
  • lay295lay295 Member

I usually just say thank you, or say that it worked then close the thread right after without waiting for a reply. So if they ever see it then great but if not then maybe you saved them some time.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited June 2015

@lay295 said:
    I usually just say thank you, or say that it worked then close the thread right after without waiting for a reply. So if they ever see it then great but if not then maybe you saved them some time.

@KuJoe said:
    If the ticket is closed then that means it's not in the queue for us to work and if it's not in the queue then we don't know about it.

I think if an agent has helped you, just say thanks. If you solved it yourself, then just close it and pretend like nothing has happened. By the way, it's always a good idea to Google first and if you can't find the amswers then submit a ticket.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Sometimes I hesitate to say thank you because it would cause extra workload for the support agents to read the message then close the ticket. But I personally think a thank you message will mean a lot to an agent.

A one line sentence explaining the issue is fixed should not add more than 30 seconds to their workload. It also puts to rest the issue, and confirms whether it was a local problem vs node.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul michaelphan
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited June 2015

@telephone said:
    A one line sentence explaining the issue is fixed should not add more than 30 seconds to their workload.

Most of the time the tech will know it's resolved if you stopped replying. And 30 sec from 1 person might not be that much, but a tech will have to deal with thousands of customers and 30x1000=? 30x5000=? It all adds up.

It's good to say thanks but not always appreciated.

Thanked by 1lostinwoods
  • @TheOnlyDK said:
    Most of the time the tech will know it's resolved if you stopped replying. And 30 sec from 1 person might not be that much, but a tech will have to deal with thousands of customers and 30x1000=? 30x5000=? It all adds up.

>

It's good to say thanks but not always appreciated.

Simply saying "Thank you", then just the close the ticket. Responding with a short resolution, then yes submit the ticket.

E.g. The problem lied with a rouge cron job executing every 30 seconds. Thank you for your time.

• just say thanks, and try to update the solution.

• @KuJoe said:
    I don't mind if clients close the ticket after they resolved it themselves but I prefer to get confirmation they resolved it or if it's a weird issue I like to know how they solved it so I can add it to our KB or I can share it with other clients if they run into it.

What I do not like is when a client opens a ticket, closes it, and complains that we never helped them. If the ticket is closed then that means it's not in the queue for us to work and if it's not in the queue then we don't know about it.

If there is a ticket open, and I say "Thanks" then close it, do you guys know?

I always wondered

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

hostnoob said: If there is a ticket open, and I say "Thanks" then close it, do you guys know?

I always wondered

Yes, we'll get an e-mail for it and read it there even if we don't go back to look at the closed tickets. :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Email notification for every ticket (works for 99.9% of the tickets opened).

I would personally appreciate a reply that the situation is resolved and then if ticket is closed or not is less of a deal in that case.

Same thing goes when someone starts a topic with a problem and when you read it the last post says "Thanks, I've solved it". Nothing more..... That's annoying. Same feeling when customers closes a ticket without saying if it was resolved or not. Common courtesy I guess?!

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • mikho said: Same thing goes when someone starts a topic with a problem and when you read it the last post says "Thanks, I've solved it". Nothing more..... That's annoying. Same feeling when customers closes a ticket without saying if it was resolved or not. Common courtesy I guess?!

All long help threads should have a sticky globally-editable post at the top saying 'DEAR PEOPLE FROM THE FUTURE: Here's what we've figured out so far ...'

Thanked by 1mikho