Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runabove snapshots and images
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runabove snapshots and images

rchurchrchurch Member
  1. When you snapshot an instance then terminate it, does Runabove keep the snapshot for you to create a new instances from it if you want?

2. Can you create an image from a snapshot and create new instances from it?

Comments

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

if runabove uses openstack backend then there is no reason why it couldn't be done.
    we use openstack and these features are available from our custom control panel through openstack api.

• J1021J1021 Member

1.) Yes, they are stored in your object store.

2.) Snapshots are stored as an image. They can be launched from the snapshot overview or from a dropdown whilst deploying.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • Are instances which are shutdown billed until they are destroyed?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

@rchurch yes, see https://community.runabove.com/share/topic/if-instance-is-shut-off-i-still-pay-per-hour-why-is-this (the resources are reserved for your VM so you get billed)

Unfortunately currently there is no way to reserve IP for your VMs AFAIK, so while you can save the disk with snapshot, you may get different IP when the new VM boots.

@hbjlee17 stop making useless spam posts please

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • Can you download your image in an appropriate format to launch it another provider for instance?

• J1021J1021 Member

rchurch said: Can you download your image in an appropriate format to launch it another provider for instance?

As I can see from the panel, the images are in QCOW2 format and downloadable from the object store. It also has the ability to upload QCOW2 files, so I assume they can be taken to other OpenStack providers.

I'll have a go myself.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

It seems like RunAbove exposes the OpenStack API. So if you have your Horizon login details, and install the OpenStack glance client somewhere (make sure version roughly matches the one RunAbove is on), then you could just do:

glance image-list
    glance image-download [image uuid from list] --file file.img