Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Limit outgoing/incoming bandwidth - ideas?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Limit outgoing/incoming bandwidth - ideas?

mahjongmahjong Member
edited October 2012 in General

Dear Users!

I was really looking for a way to limit incoming and outgoing bandwidth of a webserver. In nginx you can actually limit the number of connections. What i would like to achieve is to limit the overall incoming and outgoing bandwidth speed, like file upload sites doing so.

(I would like to build a site where users can upload and download big files. It will be a small site with friends with zipped images /5-600 mb/, and similar personal content. The problem is: once something is uploaded /like videos from a concert/ everyone starts to download like hell. I can take care of the number of connections so the server won't overload, but even with one connection with a fast internet, they can use a lot of speed /and vps hosts don't like that/, so i would like to, for example, limit to 1000 kb/s the overall outgoing bandwidth)

Is there any way (maybe a simple one with nginx or iptables?) to do so? What is the best solution for this and where can i read about it?

Thank you for every idea!

p.s. Don't come with: buy dedicated port, or: you need a dedi for that. I want to do it by myself, and on a vps.

Comments