Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your "First Computer" ? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What was your "First Computer" ?

1235»

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Intel Pentium 3 at 600Mhz with Windows 2000, 20GB disk.

• cassacassa Member

@Ole_Juul said:

I think it's still owned by the same company.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

heetrash said: Expandable from 64 KB up to 1 MB RAM or more

I remember buying an add-on card for mine that I think provided an additional 128KB. It was a card in a slot and was not like getting an additional 128KB of additional main system RAM...it was RAM but your app had to know how to use it.

• Maounique said:

http://sinclairzxspectrum.elite-systems.co.uk/index.php

Still too expensive for me, and it is not really a clone, it would be a nice toy for old timers, though.

Actually, I don't think they really have a realistic target market. Check out what old timers think and you'll find that they collect the original (if they don't already have one) and are certainly not going to pay good money for a substitute.

• emgemg Veteran

@raindog308 said:

I remember buying an add-on card for mine that I think provided an additional 128KB. It was a card in a slot and was not like getting an additional 128KB of additional main system RAM...it was RAM but your app had to know how to use it.

It used bank-switched RAM. The software would write (or read) a memory mapped location that indicated which 16 kbyte bank of extended (or was it "expanded"?) memory would overlap the top 16k of addressable memory from 48k to 64k. You could only read/write one 16 kbyte bank at any given time. Yuck!

How do I remember? Because I wrote software, mostly in 6502 assembly, that utilized those Apple II extended/expanded memory cards. In those days, we penny-pinched every byte of memory in our code, too.

I was so looking forward to the next project where I would get to write 8086 assembly code, until I found out that the 8086 architecture used that messy segment/offset addressing. Double yuck!

Thanked by 2raindog308 XiNiX
  • Mine is a Intel 486DX4-100 with 8M ram and 540M harddisk, with CD-ROM and soundblaster card, and a Trident 9440 video card. I cost more than $2500 for it, damn shit.

• jbarrjbarr Member

My first was a Commodore VIC 20.

It was replaced by a Commodore 64, which was later replaced by an Amstrad PCW8256 CP/M computer. After that, it was DOS and Windows PCs.

• Mine was also a Commodore 64 - trying to load games using a datasette made me the patient but slightly disturbed individual that I am

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited June 2015

My first ever was a sinclair spectrum zx rubber keys.
    And also my favourite

Amiga 600

Also Atari 2600

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • Can't remember the specs on the first but it ran Windows 3.1 and died like 6 months later. The one I remember was a Sony Vaio celeron box with 512MB ram, running Windows XP in late 2001-ish and my mom got us a decent DSL connection to go with it.

• eloftyelofty Member

some acorn thing. Awesome for playing lemmings :)

• HorusHorus Member

It was a Siemens Fujitsu. with 20GB HDD and 256 MB Ram.

• Apple IIe that my dad, a school teacher, ganked from his school and gave to me.

• n1kko said: Atari 2600

I have a Atari 2600 I bought from a carboot market with a stack of cartridges. Real vintage stuff!

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • A hand me down Apple IIe - no harddrive only a 5 1/4 floppy. Upgraded from that to a 486 with math coprocessor. 20mb harddrive 16mb ram and a 9600 baud modem ... those were the days.

• Anna_ParkerAnna_Parker Member
    edited June 2015

Atari 65XE -> Commodore 64 -> Amiga 500 -> my love... Amiga 1200 [32 MB Fast, Blizzard PPC, BVision, Zorro IV slots, network, USB, etc. (still alive and I'm working on Amiga OS 4.1 sometimes) -> "486" Compaq with DOS + Win95.

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • @klpowell said:
    A hand me down Apple IIe - no harddrive only a 5 1/4 floppy. Upgraded from that to a 486 with math coprocessor. 20mb harddrive 16mb ram and a 9600 baud modem ... those were the days.

20mb hard disk was a very old one, may be came with a 286 processor? I can't image it will still work with a 16m ram, which is even more enough for win95.

• A 66Mhz Pentium 1 with Windows, Probably 3.11 - Maybe 95. Can't remember exactly.

Later i got one with TURBO BUTTON, great for games.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

William said: Later i got one with TURBO BUTTON, great for games.

Indeed, you could slow down or speed up at will (the former, mostly).
    I had an XT with such a button, a second hand probably one of the last models, made in korea in 1990, 30 MB disk which was much-much faster than the old XT made in ireland in 1986 with 20 MB disk. The korean one also had dual display you could switch at the back from hercules BW to CGA.

• Mine was already pretty old when i got it - Still totally worth it though.

I also had something with Windows ME - God, so much hate.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited June 2015

TI-99

or an IBM PC-XT, 1200 baud modem, 10GB HDD (*lol, 10MB HDD, rather), CGA graphics (card? or integrated? don't even remember), printer, .... the base 640KB RAM? I guess it was ..

first console Odyssey (ed:, sorry, that would be the Odyssey²)

ed2: oh, it had an ibm model m 1391401 kb too. i still use that, bought a bunch of them new off of ebay a decade ago or so, i've gone through 2 so far

Thanked by 2XiNiX bitseeker
  • ZX Spectrum 128k!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Clearly I'm not the oldest here.. 386 on dos/win 3.1

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

With a turbo button!

• @jbiloh said:
    Clearly I'm not the oldest here.. 386 on dos/win 3.1

That's OK. We won't hold it against you. :)

• Mine was celeron.. but don't exactly know how many RAM... :(