Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for cheap colo in the Midwest
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for cheap colo in the Midwest

RizRiz Member
edited June 2015 in Requests

Hi,

I have a few boxes I need online somewhere in the Midwest. Latency is import to me so Chicago, or Denver preferably. I don't need much for bandwidth split between them, 3-5TB should do. Power usage will be low as it's only 2 Atoms and an e3. They are all 1U. One private vlan is fine and lastly I need kvm on demand as none of these have onboard IPMI. KVM will be used rarely -- only for installs.

Please PM / post your offers with a test IP. Don't bother with Kansas / east coast / west coast. The Midwest is important to me.

I am here for the long haul, don't need much support.

Thanks!

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Riz said: Chicago, or Denver

Riz said: Don't bother with Kansas

Riz said: The Midwest is important to me.

Um...

Kansas is closer to Chicago than Denver...and more to the point, Kansas is in the Midwest while Colorado is not.

• RizRiz Member

@raindog308 most Kansas operations are subsidized and I have not had a good experience with routing in the past through there. I love in Minnesota, and a majority of the traffic here backhauls through CO / IL / WA.

• RizRiz Member

Anything?

• There is FDC in Chicago, would also be worth checking with Continuum.

• @Riz You're really limiting yourself with "cheap colo" + "has to be midwest". Try WHT, might be someone on there who has some space in their racks in Chicago and can cut you a deal.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

We have in Dallas? If could work with you? for $35 per month + DDOS protection + free racked.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited June 2015

Riz said: I love in Minnesota

Lots of people do. We didn't get the nickname "Minnesota Nice" for nothing you know.

Also, if you're willing to deal with bandwidth yourself, there's Cologix at 511 11th in Minneapolis.

• Riz said: most Kansas operations are subsidized and I have not had a good experience with routing in the past through there.

Mostly not a major routing / peering hub is why. Most traffic go to Dallas or Chicago.

• concerto49 said: Mostly not a major routing / peering hub is why. Most traffic go to Dallas or Chicago.

For Minnesota, the 2 major neighbors on the network map are Denver and Chicago. Beyond that, nobody else has a direct route, it's all bounced around.

• RizRiz Member

Thanks for the suggestion @Microlinux. I'll take a look.

@mikeyur As I mention cheap I don't have a budget set. Something reasonable with the low power / bw usage accounted for should help bring down the bill. These will be colocated long term. I'll take a look at WHT.

@Rallias - You got it with the minnesota nice! I wish the routing here was better. I looked at a few DCs locally and their main carriers were only HE / Cogent. I figured Cologix was out of the picture in regards to price -- I'll give them a shout and see. Thanks!

• @Riz - We maybe able to help you in Minneapolis if thats what you need. We are very power constrained there though. Please PM me the equipment list and I'll get you an answer on Monday.

• Riz said: You got it with the minnesota nice! I wish the routing here was better. I looked at a few DCs locally and their main carriers were only HE / Cogent. I figured Cologix was out of the picture in regards to price -- I'll give them a shout and see. Thanks!

One thing to be aware of with Minnesota. Hurricane Electric will get you all the micro-carriers, but Comcast, TWC, and CenturyLink don't appear to peer in-state last time I checked.

• Riz said: I looked at a few DCs locally and their main carriers were only HE / Cogent

IP House at 511 has TWTC/L3/HE, but Chicago generally makes more sense, unless HE's routes at MICE of are of specific interest.

• Microlinux said: IP House at 511 has TWTC/L3/HE, but Chicago generally makes more sense, unless HE's routes at MICE of are of specific interest.

Well, if price is of no concern, or an already-well-peered provider is found, 511 is the better option. They have access to the following carriers on site:

360 Networks

AT&T

Charter Communications

Cogent

Comcast

Global Crossing

Integra

Level 3

Qwest

Sprint

University of Minnesota

US Internet

Verizon

XO Communications

And of course all the un-announced companies. Comcast is the defacto cable provider, although I think TWC does something in North Minneapolis. Quest is CenturyLink. Then there's MICE which can be gotten at with Hurricane Electric which will cover you for the majority of the micro-carriers like I said.

• Rallias said: 511 is the better option.

I don't think it makes much sense for reaching a general audience, unless it's important to have local physical access to your gear (or you have an upstream with MICE connectivity, and that's useful to you). It's generally more expensive than Chicago and adds additional latency for most routes. Colo in the Twin Cities is primarily attractive to the corporate crowd for now.

I doubt the OP is looking to bring his own connectivity, so I don't think individual carrier availability is of any concern.