Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions regarding VoIP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions regarding VoIP

I am from Netherlands and Im new to this VOIP thing so I have a few questions:

1. What sort of number do you get by Asterisk?

2. How does another VOIP know where your server is by just the number? Is there some DNS thing going on?

3. Is it possible I call with VOIP on 3G?

4. Data plans are limited here. Does VoIP use alot of MB?

5. Is it possible I call with my VoIP to mobile number of friends (some of them use Vodafone, T-Mobile) and they call me?

6. Since my friends always use 06 to call me. Is it possible I add an 06 number to my VoIP?

7. What apps can you recommend me for VoIP? Using Android.

Sorry for so much questions. I really want to get more to know about VoIP and set it up on my VPS.

I know there are some Dutch fellows that use VoIP so if they can shine light about the 06 situation would be very awesome.

And thanks everyone for helping.

Comments

• You need to get a number from someone who has one. It's called a DID. Many VoIP providers are not CLEC's so they use numbers from some other numbering authority. You can get a free NY DID from Callcentric, or a Seattle number from IPKall. Most other's cost a little bit per month.

It sounds like you need to read up on telephone technology. I suggest you have a read on the VoIP Tech Chat forum where your questions will get expert answers:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

For a purchasing perspective have a look at Callcentric's page. http://www.callcentric.com/ You will see that you buy ingoing (DID) services separately from outgoing services. Regular (POTS) providers do the same just bill you in an old-fashioned, and very, very, expensive way rather than a la carte. VoIP varies from expensive (but very good routing) like 1.98 cents per minute to under 0.1 cents per minute. Beware of the quality of the routing. There is a big difference in what companies provide. One cool thing is that in reality (ie. VoIP) there is not really any such thing as "long distance" so a call from NA to Germany might cost the the same as a call across the street.

• Based on your questions I wouldn't bother setting up an Asterisk server just yet, particularly one that has access to an outgoing trunk and if you really must then I'd suggest going with a prepaid provider.

I'm not saying this to be nasty i'd just be worried that you wouldn't secure the box properly and thus end up with it being exploited to rackup a large phonebill.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited June 2015

dragon2611 said: I'm not saying this to be nasty i'd just be worried that you wouldn't secure the box properly and thus end up with it being exploited to rackup a large phonebill.

Do not ignore what @dragon2611 said here. If you have a box for this online you WILL get attacked - make sure you know how to protect the box.

The attackers will generate phone traffic to expensive destinations, - VERY expensive ones, like satellite providers - and telecoms pay them a % of the cost you will pay for the call. Make sure you understand this.

• I just ignored the question about asterix because based on your other questions you'll need to understand the telephone system first. Like @dragon2611 and @Traffic said, it could just get you into trouble.

As for apps, don't bother. Nobody uses that stuff except to fool around. A real phone needs either an IP phone or an ATA. I use an ATA with two lines and that's a convenient way to incorporate two providers without the learning curve of a PBX.

• TripleflixTripleflix Member
    edited June 2015

I dont think a 06 (cellphone) number can be a voip number (at least not yet).

if you want a voip number, take a look at www.voys.nl they are simply THE best voip provider there is (literally)

• So I did a few more digging and found for my purpose I just need to buy an SIP and hookup with an android app and done. That easy? Is it true?

btw my purpose will be like regular calling. Not like call support line.

@Ole_Juul said:
    You need to get a number from someone who has one. It's called a DID. Many VoIP providers are not CLEC's so they use numbers from some other numbering authority. You can get a free NY DID from Callcentric, or a Seattle number from IPKall. Most other's cost a little bit per month.

It sounds like you need to read up on telephone technology. I suggest you have a read on the VoIP Tech Chat forum where your questions will get expert answers:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

For a purchasing perspective have a look at Callcentric's page. http://www.callcentric.com/ You will see that you buy ingoing (DID) services separately from outgoing services. Regular (POTS) providers do the same just bill you in an old-fashioned, and very, very, expensive way rather than a la carte. VoIP varies from expensive (but very good routing) like 1.98 cents per minute to under 0.1 cents per minute. Beware of the quality of the routing. There is a big difference in what companies provide. One cool thing is that in reality (ie. VoIP) there is not really any such thing as "long distance" so a call from NA to Germany might cost the the same as a call across the street.

>

Aha thanks For the info.

@dragon2611 said:
    Based on your questions I wouldn't bother setting up an Asterisk server just yet, particularly one that has access to an outgoing trunk and if you really must then I'd suggest going with a prepaid provider.

I'm not saying this to be nasty i'd just be worried that you wouldn't secure the box properly and thus end up with it being exploited to rackup a large phonebill.

Ah thanks for alert. i will not ignore

@Traffic said:
    The attackers will generate phone traffic to expensive destinations, - VERY expensive ones, like satellite providers - and telecoms pay them a % of the cost you will pay for the call. Make sure you understand this.

I understand.

• TehEnforce said: So I did a few more digging and found for my purpose I just need to buy an SIP and hookup with an android app and done. That easy? Is it true?

It's true if you only want to make calls. To receive calls you need a DID (telephone number). As for the android app, you may want to consider the quality, but perhaps not. Also, you can get a SIP number for free.

• @Ole_Juul said:

I only need mobile calls since my home phone already use VoIP and very good pricing there. So if I get SIP and DID I can also call people using the 2G/3G network and reverse? Also does SIP call use alot of 3G internet data? I most of the time have WiFi so if its data heavy no problem but. Is voice encrypted? I don't like my school tapping.

Are there any SIP providers with +31 extension?

• cassacassa Member

Try CheapConnect and connect your Asterisk server to it

• VoIP uses under 100 kbps. I prefer the G729 codec which uses 31.2 kbps and sounds great. I have no knowledge about cell phone service as it's not available in my area.

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

You should also look at companies like flynumber.com. They are cheap on DIDs and outbound calls and also provide a host PBX for you (if you dont have a large amount of volume).

If you just wanted to do call forwarding they are also one of the cheapest per minute.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Also check out didlogic.com for cheap did numbers, good rates and call quality.
    I would also think that if you are only trying to set up something where you can call your friends. You could set up asterisk as a sip without an outgoing trunk and no did numbers. Just assign extensions to everyone you want to call. Your friends would need an app hooked to your sip to receive and send calls to other group members. Getting hacked would not be an issue, as you would have no service beyond your group. Just a thought...

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • You might want to see if one of the providers has an app that uses something other than standard SIP or at least standard sip with some kind of SSL/TLS security as SIP on it's own is hopelessly insecure as everything is sent in the clear.

That's usually fine on your internal network, or in the case of business a dedicated voice network/vlan but I wouldn't want to be using it on random WI-Fi Hotspots.

• @dragon2611 said:
    You might want to see if one of the providers has an app that uses something other than standard SIP or at least standard sip with some kind of SSL/TLS security as SIP on it's own is hopelessly insecure as everything is sent in the clear.

That's usually fine on your internal network, or in the case of business a dedicated voice network/vlan but I wouldn't want to be using it on random WI-Fi Hotspots.

I have no idea if there are any dutch SIP providers that provide encryption. In today time its required.