Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bypass CPanel DNSOnly RAM check
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bypass CPanel DNSOnly RAM check

spammyspammy Member

It seems that even the CPanel DNSOnly installer these days require minimum of 768MB of RAM even though for a relatively small DNSOnly set up, a 128MB box used to be more than enough.

Is there anyway we can bypass the check? There is a force install parameter but that doesn't seem to help.

Comments

• Essentially - No. But if you install of the components yourself it will be fine. Just use BIND for your dns. If you're using it as part of a cPanel cluster environment i would suggest looking in to different methods, or simply upgrading your vps.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • spammyspammy Member

may be time to learn some bind knowledge at last...

• gonggogonggo Member
    edited June 2015

If you're not using cpanel or only managed few domains, may be its good just install it from command line, or may be ISPconfig.

I resized the VPS to higher RAM (1GB) in DigitalOcean, and after the install was finished I changed it back to 512mb. Maybe you can kindly ask your host to temporary upgrade the RAM during install.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

If you have an option, you can try upgrading and immediately downgrading VM after install.

Bear in mind they might have put this requirement there for a reason. I haven't been trying to install DNSOnly on such small VMs yet.

Bear in mind that some hosts won't allow downgrading hdd, you might need to backup and restore on a new smaller VM.

• @spammy,

You're just thinking the DNSOnly installer just installs BIND and that's it, well no it's not, it has the web frontend and a backend for management to work like a DNS cluster.

They also don't want the users of the DNSOnly to complain about performance so they set them to an optimal level.