Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap SMS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap SMS ?

ChiefChief Member
edited October 2012 in General

Looking for an SMS gateway to send site notifications from web to mobile.
Anyone able to suggest some cheap prepaid or pay as you go bundles?

Comments

• We've had good luck with twilio.com. nexmo.com isn't bad, as long as your carrier actually gets the SMS' it sends.

Thanked by 1Chief
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nextmo seems soooo good

• i use clicksms

• jhjh Member

A bit off topic, but why do you guys still use email to SMS when we have push email?

• lbftlbft Member
    edited October 2012

I've found Clickatell to be pretty good, although I haven't used them in a while.

• @lbft said: I've found Clickatell to be pretty good, although I haven't used them in a while.

@Chief +1 for clickatell, use them for all my projects. Pretty good pricing and really well documented, easy to integrate into anything.

• @jhadley Customers tend to ignore and/or dismiss emails from their provider, and if use a tittle with lots of exclamation signs and "Emergency Emergency" just to get their attention, then they will panic. SMS makes perfect sense.

@Chief +1 for Clickatell - and there is also a WHMCS module for this kind of stuff: http://www.whmcs.com/appstore/116/The-SMS-Addon-plus-Admin-Secure.html

• @jhadley said: A bit off topic, but why do you guys still use email to SMS when we have push email?

People are still reachable via mobile network if the web-/mail-network fails.

• In this case it's being used for a second stage of authentication where email is already in use.

Twilio looks good, clickatell has some credit based system as where I find the twilio website far more straight forward. API is nice as well.

Now off to find/test a heap of 25% coupons in the hope one works ;)

• Guess Twilio doesn't have the $30 signup bonus anymore.

Here's a couple more:

• @Chief said: In this case it's being used for a second stage of authentication where email is already in use.

How about play with Google's Two Step Authentication?
    There's clients for most devices these days, including J2ME phones :)

• I can vouch for https://www.tropo.com/ , I implemented them in an authentication process with absolutely no issues and have not had one problem with them, in a system that gets used ~15-30 times a day.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

@ElliotJ said: How about play with Google's Two Step Authentication?
    There's clients for most devices these days, including J2ME phones :)

This. I'm playing around with getting it to work with php auth system at the moment, would make a good option to use it on a vps control panel.

Also, Twilio are great too, excellent APIs. Met the guys who run it and used it a lot of apps. Just a little more expensive though.

• @ElliotJ said: How about play with Google's Two Step Authentication?

@AsadHaider said: This.

Is it this? http://code.google.com/p/google-authenticator/

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

@Damian Yeah, those are the mobile apps you use to authenticate with. It's used for Google's two-step authentication on their accounts.

Dropbox use it too I think, and you can integrate it into your own apps.

• Thanks! I'll look into this.

• @AsadHaider said: and you can integrate it into your own apps

Indeed, and it's pretty straightforward too :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@netomx said: Nextmo seems soooo good

Wait...
    n e t o m x
    n e x t m o

Conspiracy.

• I can recommend Twilio. They've got a straight-forward interface, a good API and some libraries for popular programming languages to get you started. They're cheap, though the fees do vary per country.

• SendHub is promising too. Cheaper than Twilio for sending SMS with easy to use API.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jarland said: Wait...

n e t o m x
    n e x t m o

Conspiracy.

damn

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

EDIS?

• As an alternative to Google....

Havent used the service yet but the people behind this auto service are extremely sharp and solid: http://www.duosecurity.com/pricing /cc @chief

• @craigb said: As an alternative to Google....

$3 per user per month.. no thanks :P