Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cloud load balancer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cloud load balancer

hi there
i am searching for a cloud loadbalancing tool for my 2 nodes, all the popular ones costs the price of my 2 nodes :P
health check, global availability are the most important feature for me

any recommendations ?

regards
ahmad

Comments

• I am not sure what you are wanting here, but I suspect you are wanting a CDN for your site to help speed up the loading of your site in other locations than where the servers are located? If this is the case I am pretty sure Cloudflare has a free tier which could work for you.

Cheers!

• no no
    cloud based load balancer, they give you an ip, when accessed it will redirect your users to one of your nodes depending on your chosin algorithim (round roubin...etc)

like http://totaluptime.com/solutions/cloud-load-balancing/#load-balancer-pricing (which is the best i found so far, but cant justify the price for 2 nodes)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just install HAProxy on a VPS. For real fun, use a DNS failover service and set up two HAProxy VPS.

• @Jar said:
    Just install HAProxy on a VPS. For real fun, use a DNS failover service and set up two HAProxy VPS.

it has some perks like the fact that most of them uses cdn locations so initial latency is super fast, and the fact that i dont want a single node to handle redirecting all the users

dns looks clean and easy approach

Thanked by 1jar
  • If you are on a budget you should set this up your self on a few VPS servers. Use HAProxy as was mentioned or you could use Varnish or Nginx on your entry server to also add caching at the balancer. Wasn't even aware they offered this as a service, I would figure most would just opt for CDN or set it up them selves.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    If you are on a budget you should set this up your self on a few VPS servers. Use HAProxy as was mentioned or you could use Varnish or Nginx on your entry server to also add caching at the balancer. Wasn't even aware they offered this as a service, I would figure most would just opt for CDN or set it up them selves.

Cheers!

can a 128mb or 256mb vps do the job ? and do it well ?

• Possibly, it depends on how many users you have visiting. All I can say is set it up and try it to see how its handled. Then upgrade if you need to.

Cheers!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I think Rage4 does this. What you want is not a load balancer but a Geolocation aware (smart) DNS.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Move your infrastructure to ovh and use their load balancing stuff

• @pbgben said:
    Move your infrastructure to ovh and use their load balancing stuff

i like my current ramnode setup, machines are really powerfull yet cheap

@Zen said:
    HAProxy can run extremely lightweight. I've been able to handle tens of thousands of concurrent visitors on under 1GB (not too sure about CPU). They have a ton of documentation & benchmarks on the website so you should check that out for information on what type of performance you can expect.

Here's a quote, taken out of context but still:

"HAProxy will need about 34 kB per session, which results in around 30000 sessions per GB of RAM"

"Session rates around 100,000 sessions/s can be achieved on Xeon E5 systems in 2014."

http://www.haproxy.org/#perf for more info.

Bottom line two small VPS' with HAProxy and some failover DNS and you're good to go.

actually thats pretty good, i guess i am going with a 256mb machine first then grow frim there

any idea if there was a gui interface for haproxy ? for monitoring ? (to know when its time to upgarde)

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Haproxy have readonly web stats plus can be controlled by socket

• Guess what guys, the awesome people at http://www.snapt.net offered me a free license of their software

• @a7medo778 said:u
    Guess what guys, the awesome people at http://www.snapt.net offered me a free license of their software

Seems like you work for them…

Thanked by 1pbgben