Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About Reverse DNS PTR records
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About Reverse DNS PTR records

kamalkamal Member

I have the following scenario :
Main Server IP e.g 1.1.1.1 has server.domainname.com as it's reverse PTR record

I have 2 more dedicated IP address assigned as following
1.1.2.2 - Domain : mydomain.com
1.1.2.3 - Domain : yourdomain.com

what PTR record should I set for 1.1.2.2 and 1.1.2.3 ? They currently have generic ptr record set by the hosting provider

Thank you in advance for all suggestions

Comments

• wychwych Member

1.1.2.2 - mydomain.com

1.1.2.3 - yourdomain.com

• kamalkamal Member

Thank you wych for your reply. So will it help me to avoid my outgoing mails from being marked as Spam ?

• It'll help, but there are a bunch of other factors too.

• kamalkamal Member

Oh ok.. thank you that is all I want to know.

• kamal said: what PTR record should I set for 1.1.2.2 and 1.1.2.3

It depends on your mail server configuration. Generally, you set reverse DNS to match the FQDN your MTA uses. If the MTA on 1.1.2.2 identifies itself as "mail.mydomain.com" then you set reverse dns to "mail.mydomain.com".

Thanked by 1jar
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Make sure the domain (or better, subdomain) you set your PTR to has a matching A records to this IP.

Thanked by 1jar
  • kamalkamal Member

I am using cpanel so should I set the reverse PTR as mail.mydomain.com ?
    I think the A record has been created already.. What would be the best idea ? mydomain.com or mail.mydomain.com in context of cpanel ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@kamal said:
    I am using cpanel so should I set the reverse PTR as mail.mydomain.com ?
    I think the A record has been created already.. What would be the best idea ? mydomain.com or mail.mydomain.com in context of cpanel ?

cPanel can send all e-mails from one address, or it can send from dedicated IPs for each client and adjust the HELO to match the primary domain on each account. It really depends on your settings.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

kamal said: What would be the best idea ?

We usually recommend to set the PTR record to match server's hostname.

kamal said: I think the A record has been created already..

You are the one that needs to create it - check it.

• Clouvider said: Make sure the domain (or better, subdomain) you set your PTR to has a matching A records to this IP.

Yes, but it must match the mailname, which is not necessarily the same as the server hostname. e.g.

• hostname: vps7.mydomain.com
    • mailname: mail7.mydomain.com (set in the MTA)

Reverse DNS should be 1.1.2.2 => mail7.mydomain.com and there should be an A record for mail7.mydomain.com => 1.1.2.2

• kamalkamal Member

Thank you for the replies..
    I have set server.mydomain.com as reverse ptr for the main shared IP 1.1.1.1 ... it already has the A record

Also for the other dedicated IPs 1.1.2.2 and 1.1.2.3 I should have server.mydomain.com as their reverse PTR to ?

and create three A records
    for same hostname but multiple IPS ?

• kamalkamal Member

@sleddog Thank you and thank you everyone

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

kamal said: Also for the other dedicated IPs 1.1.2.2 and 1.1.2.3 I should have server.mydomain.com as their reverse PTR to ?

Only if those IPs are sending mail and that server name is what is announced as HELO when that accounts sends e-mail. You need to know these things. No one else will know it.