Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the Advantage of Shared Hosting - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the Advantage of Shared Hosting

2»

Comments

• @Dillybob Hosting it yourself seems to be much cheaper, at least at Gandi's prices.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Traffic said: @Dillybob Hosting it yourself seems to be much cheaper, at least at Gandi's prices.

This seems true because I was just going to check the prices. I would need to purchase another server as well, to use PHP... It seems like that ghandi thing is just for node itself. Plus, 60GB a month is nothing especially for a game server. Yeah fuck ghandi. Srry Rawr. VPS ALL THE WAY, plus node is easy to install on debian 7 tried 2 weeks ago on my cvps dos'd box rofl.

Fuck Shared Hosting. Worst of the Hosting Industry.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • It used to be cheaper but lots of them are only comparable to LET if you prepay a year or longer. Their target market is certainly people who either don't know how to or don't want to waste time maintaining a server.

I'd say the "responsibility of maintaining the server" is the main advantage.

• ricardo said: I'd say the "responsibility of maintaining the server" is the main advantage.

That'd be true if they did manage the server - properly, that is.

• That's a broad brush stroke for thousands of hosts. There are lots of shared hosting companies who are more than adequate. They likely still have lion's share of the hosting market.

• I started with shared hosting 8 years ago and still use them even though I could do it myself. As mentioned above, they keep it online 24/7 and I can relax. Also, at the beginning I was a bit green and they'd talk to me within a few minutes. And the 2000 mail addresses without me dealing with spam is nice too. For just under 7 bucks a month, I feel I'm still getting value by not having to pay attention all the time. Oh yes, and the security of them looking after backups and me not worrying about losing anything because of security fault or equipment failure is relaxing.

• Lee said: Am I the only one that seen a spam post?

Yeah it is a C&P boogiejack.com /hosting/what-is-shared-hosting.html

• It's the start of summer guys. The hosts are coming... Prepare yourselves!

Thanked by 1W3HostingServices
  • LeeLee Veteran

Ole_Juul said: and the security of them looking after backups and me not worrying about losing anything because of security fault or equipment failure is relaxing.

Even in 2015 it scares me that people rely so implicitly on their provider to not loose data.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Lee said: Even in 2015 it scares me that people rely so implicitly on their provider to not loose data.

Especially when the risk of losing the host is sometimes greater than the risk of technical fault.

• Lee said: Even in 2015 it scares me that people rely so implicitly on their provider to not loose data.

You're the one that said "implicitly". Not me. My view is that nothing can be trusted implicitly.

No big deal for me to lose what's on a shared host anyway, but it's nice to not have to do any work. I do realize that one day I may have to, but in the last 8 years I haven't.

• LeeLee Veteran

Ole_Juul said: My view is that nothing can be trusted implicitly.

Ok, fair enough.

Ole_Juul said: the security of them looking after backups and me not worrying about losing anything

That seemed like fairly implicit trust to me.

• Lee said: That seemed like fairly implicit trust to me.

OK, I see what you mean. To me security is having something good enough that it's not worth my time to worry. There's nothing implicit about that. Just a frame of mind. In fact, for all I know you could be the guy looking after my shared hosting and I'd expect you to do the worrying for me. If you screw up I won't get all bent out of shape about it because you're a professional and presumably did a decent job - and I know that shit happens. Life is too short for me to think in absolutes. YMMV

• SyerateSyerate Member, Host Rep

Yeahh I agree when saying its just good for hassle free management.

• banhammered

• I don't believe there are any advantages to shared hosting. And I wish this board would go back to the way it was, before shared offers were allowed. Nowadays it's getting difficult, trying to see a genuine vps offer, through all the riff raff.

• ChuckChuck Member

How is shared hosting cheaper than most VPS offers on here?

I see many shared hosting offers for $1 a month with super low disk space (3GB) and low bandwidth (50GB). You can get a $12/year VPS has double disk space and 500GB bandwidth.

• @Chuck said:

I see many shared hosting offers for $1 a month with super low disk space (3GB) and low bandwidth (50GB). You can get a $12/year VPS has double disk space and 500GB bandwidth.

You answered your own question. A vps can be split into a lot of shared boxes.

• @Chuck said:

True, but those who can't manage a server will go for shared host even with low specs. Not everyone is able to setup stack to run a server.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2015

Advantages of Shared Hosting:

• cheap
    Cons:
    - unpredictable server speeds, uptime (essentially how reliable it is)
    - usually oversold heavily (I mean, unlimited is the thing now, right?)
    - shared servers are DDOS magnets (this is due to the # of accounts on the same IP; if one site on the server is attacked, everyone is affected)
    - dangerous (server can be hacked, etcetera)
    For me, the cons kind of outweigh the advantages, so... I like to stick with dedicated.

OpenVZ is shared too - removed the previous message :)

• ChuckChuck Member

@Droidzone said:
    You answered your own question. A vps can be split into a lot of shared boxes.

Ok, so what? How is shared hosting cheaper than most VPS offers on here?

• Chuck said: Ok, so what? How is shared hosting cheaper than most VPS offers on here?

Why aren't you getting it? A shared hosting allocates a lot of shared resources and a single IP (usually) among a lot of customers. The resources that a single VPS customer requires are used buy dozens of shared hosting customers.

• Chuck said: Ok, so what? How is shared hosting cheaper than most VPS offers on here?

I think the key is how one defines "cheaper". If time is valued then being able to leave a shared hosting site running for months without even looking at it is certainly a saving.