Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIP BetterLinux, shutting down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIP BetterLinux, shutting down

Dear users of BetterLinux,

Effective immediately we are discontinuing future signups to BetterLinux and have adjusted all licenses to expire on July 1st, 2015. It comes with heavy heart that we are closing the doors on BetterLinux as it's been a great opportunity to work with the Linux community and our users to bring them a quality product for resource management.

We encourage all our users to utilize the time before July 1st, 2015, to uninstall BetterLinux. After that date, BetterLinux will discontinue to function on your servers if you haven't removed it.

Until July 1st, 2015, our site will remain active so anyone can access their client login area, but the installation media has been removed. All documentation will remain available un til that time and if you have any issues regarding uninstalling BetterLinux, please contact us.

-BetterLinux Team

just got this
RIP BetterLinux , it was a worthy project though

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is BetterLinux?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rds100 said:

It was to be a competitor to CloudLinux, along the same lines. I think, but have no actual evidence to suggest it, that Endurance might have been toying with it as a product to standardize the systems across their hosts to allow for smarter overselling of shared boxes. That or maybe they just wanted to profit from the market created by CloudLinux.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • LeeLee Veteran

It started out well but I never felt it was going to equal CloudLinux. Now when I say equal that does not necessarily mean I put the CloudLinux bar high.

• @rds100 said:

Ex blue host owner pet project of competitor of cloud linux.... think used by blue host and some others EIG brands

@Jar if they want that their mistake was the price if i can buy 5+ Cloud Linux License for $10 why to pay $9 for something with less features and less polished....

coolice said: if they want that their mistake was the price if i can buy 5+ Cloud Linux License for $10 why to pay $9 for something with less features and less polished....

That's kind of why I figured it was intended for standardizing the systems across the brands, so they didn't have to pay for CloudLinux if they wanted a standard way to keep boxes from dropping due to a few users with extremely unoptimized websites that tried to hog all of the CPU/memory. As it stands, each brand does their own thing.

• @Lee said:
    It started out well but I never felt it was going to equal CloudLinux. Now when I say equal that does not necessarily mean I put the CloudLinux bar high.

The strong will flourish and the weak will fail, just like Uber and a regular taxi.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Lee said: Now when I say equal that does not necessarily mean I put the CloudLinux bar high.

Now I'm curious why you don't think much of CloudLinux.

raindog308 said: Now I'm curious why you don't think much of CloudLinux.

I wonder if I can channel my inner @Lee to answer this for him, in an exercise of entertainment...

Because hosts advertise it like it's a benefit to customers when in reality the biggest selling point is that it allows hosts to oversell their shared hosting servers while still being able to sleep at night knowing that if anyone gets serious traffic, they'll likely be the only one down.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • MridulMridul Member

why shut it down, why not make a free release ?

• Mridul said: why shut it down, why not make a free release ?

It's not always easy. It could hurt their reputation if it's not done well.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Jar said:
    Because hosts advertise it like it's a benefit to customers when in reality the biggest selling point is that it allows hosts to oversell their shared hosting servers while still being able to sleep at night knowing that if anyone gets serious traffic, they'll likely be the only one down.

My bitch has covered it off. Whilst there is sensible use it's a tool for overselling in shared/reseller hosting as OpenVZ is to the VPS industry.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Jar said:

Well thats also a HUGE selling point to a shared customer. Why should their site go down for somebody else's use?? Clients are glad to know that their site won't be down, and only that person site would be.

Thanked by 1Maounique

@OnraHost said:
    Well thats also a HUGE selling point to a shared customer. Why should their site go down for somebody else's use?? Clients are glad to know that their site won't be down, and only that person site would be.

I would agree.

• LeeLee Veteran

@OnraHost said:

Yes indeed, however in the world I live in, crazy I know, but the services are priced, servers loaded and client base chosen in such a way that the odd WordPress plugin or abuse client will not affect everyone else, or very rarely.

Back in the day many people actually knew how to be a web host without toys like CL. Skills that few have today.

Then there is this world, which I really don't care to explain because I am sure you know where it's going.

• So much for claiming to be the better alternative. Good bye.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

Lee said: Yes indeed, however in the world I live in, crazy I know, but the services are priced, servers loaded and client base chosen in such a way that the odd WordPress plugin or abuse client will not affect everyone else, or very rarely.

Back in the day many people actually knew how to be a web host without toys like CL. Skills that few have today.

Yep, and why use solus when you can always provision manually and send the root pass and IP to the customer, why use any kind of panel when you can always edit apache conf or sendmail conf files, php, etc, why apt-get when you can wget the sources and compile, why even use distros when you can always use linux from scratch, compile your own kernel and invent your own containerization/virtualization?
    Sadly, very few people have those skills today, world is going to hell.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Good thing they are shutting down. They lack the business ethics to be a viable option if they only give their clients a few weeks notice to build new servers and migrate their clients to a new OS. The least they could do is stop providing patches and give their clients a month or two.

This would be like Microsoft saying "Server 2003 is EOL and it will stop working next month, good luck with this unscheduled migration we're forcing you into" or Android saying "If your phone is using anything less than Android 4.0 you won't be able to make or receive calls in 3 weeks, better go buy a new phone or learn how to install a community OS"