Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification!

Comments

• PwnerPwner Member

@BuyAds said:
    Why they do not produce IPv5 with 5 fields (125.100.200.300.50)?
    Can this be in the future?

That just gets me wondering as to why IPv4 subnets are structured in current way they're in. Why is there a limit to 4 total subnets and the range from 0-255 for each subnet?

I know I sound stupid, but it's a genuine question.

• @Pwner said:
    I know I sound stupid, but it's a genuine question.

IPV4 is 32Bit, each octave being 8bit, so the highest number possible is 255.

IPV6 is 64Bit hence the much larger range avaliable.

Thanked by 2Traffic Pwner
  • rds100rds100 Member

AshleyUk said: PV6 is 64Bit

It's actually 128bit.

• hostnoob said: We'll probably get IPv6 support in like 2020.

Sign up for BT Business broadband at the same price as residential and get IPv6 on FTTC, not on ADSL though!

• @hostnoob said:
    We'll probably get IPv6 support in like 2020.

That's probably about when it will start to become useful.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

rds100 said: It's actually 128bit.

It's 64 bit because many websites treat a /64 as one person (and it's supposed to be like that). How many server companies do you know that give out a /64 per VPS and let you order as many in addition as you want?

And that's why I don't use IPv6. Call me when I can get as many /64s as I want.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2015

4n0nx said: 4n0nx

Due to technology limitations it is not practical to have a /64 on an OpenVZ VPS - the venet device supports only adding individual (/128) addresses. On KVM it is also not very practical, since not every VPS is on their own vlan, they share the same vlan. Yes it's possible to do it, but it's a cludge.

And one /64 doesn't mean one host, it means one ethernet segment.

On dedicated servers it is more probable to get your own unique /64 since dedicated servers are usually placed on separate vlans. At least the better providers should do it this way.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @4n0nx said:
    It's 64 bit because many websites treat a /64 as one person (and it's supposed to be like that).

And that's wrong. An IPv6 address is 128 bits.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

socials said: And that's wrong. An IPv6 address is 128 bits.

did you even read what I said

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

rds100 said: Due to technology limitations it is not practical to have a /64 on an OpenVZ VPS - the venet device supports only adding individual (/128) addresses. On KVM it is also not very practical, since not every VPS is on their own vlan, they share the same vlan. Yes it's possible to do it, but it's a cludge.

Interesting. I guess the providers could assign individual /64 to each customer and only route ~5 per /64 to a VPS. That way no captchas and not blacklisted. :D But I don't think any provider does that.. :(

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

@deployvm said:
    There's a lack of NBN FTTP (before Liberal) or even FTTN in WA's northern suburbs. It's sad, only ADSL2+ is available.

I live in the Hobart CBD and it has only just been connected.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

4n0nx said: Interesting. I guess the providers could assign individual /64 to each customer and only route ~5 per /64 to a VPS. That way no captchas and not blacklisted. :D But I don't think any provider does that.. :(

You can do that, depending on virtualisation technology. As mentioned earlier OpenVZ doesn't support it. KVM, vmware, Xen do. We do assign more than /64 per single Customer if Customer needs it.

• They have been building the NBN here for ages.
    Pity I'm moving in the next 6 months so NBN has no real benefit for me here. And I will probably move to a suburb they wont build up in for years.

But look at the NBN coverage map in Port Lincoln (where my parents are) there are like 3 roads that are NBN ready and it took over a year to do that much.

Although I do like AU getting faster internet available but, its just 100% Telsta. The people i refused to go with for about 7 years now.

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/07/14/exposed-telstras-secret-fbi-spy-deal/

So, while giving everyone access to faster internet etc, is going to increase piracy rates in AU, and increase the big brother's data on us all..

• @rds100 said:

Online.net give you a /48 with dedis.

Ramnode gives you a full /64 with any VPS

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Just came from teamarin.net/event/arin-on-the-road-dominica/ today..... they were all like.. well.. yea its finishing.... but its been finishing for ages now... no-one knows when we're REALLY gonna run out...

Plus they got that stock of 'reclaimed' blocks that are just waiting to be put back out there

• trewq said: I love on the Hobart CBD and it has only just been connected.

All I know is my streaming still lags. I keep getting complaints, which stops me from enjoying me life (read: nag by others in the family shouting about their tv paused).

Thanked by 1trewq
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2015

rds100 said: On KVM it is also not very practical, since not every VPS is on their own vlan, they share the same vlan. Yes it's possible to do it, but it's a cludge.

A VPS gets one IP in a shared subnet, and their own different subnet statically routed via that IP. Not a cludge at all, that's how it's supposed to be. And I believe even the lame excuse of "wah wah OVZ doesn't support" won't work here, this can be done on OVZ too.

rds100 said: And one /64 doesn't mean one host, it means one ethernet segment.

He didn't say one host, he said one user.

rds100 said: On dedicated servers it is more probable to get your own unique /64 since dedicated servers are usually placed on separate vlans. At least the better providers should do it this way.

No they are not. None of the dedi providers I used placed each server in a separate VLAN, and at the same time many of them provide a subnet per server. In fact I am not aware if any dedi provider in the LEB segment actually does VLAN per server. But surely, all of those are not 'better' providers. Maybe you meant $200/dedi ones or something.

4n0nx said: Interesting. I guess the providers could assign individual /64 to each customer and only route ~5 per /64 to a VPS. That way no captchas and not blacklisted. :D But I don't think any provider does that.. :(

Many providers now assign a /64 or more to VPSes. They finally woke up and realized there's simply no other way due to RBLs and other similar block lists.

If you want more than one /64 on a VPS, Linode comes to mind, they offer up to a /56; Vstoike.ru up to a /56 as well; Prometeus KVM, a /48. Etc.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • nexmark said: A setup fee differs from a monthly fee. And the setup fee is one time.

The point is over your head.

$3 x 254 IPs = ???? but some of you guys are OK with $1/IP when there's providers still doing $50/mo for a /24

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited June 2015

IP's are complex in availability... @doughmanes

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rm_ said: Prometeus KVM, a /48

Not to everyone, default is /64 per IPv4. Of course, it is not so on OVZ, but we give as many as feasibly needed, more than 30 and the loading time starts to skyrocket as they are added one by one.
    OVZ can support veth and very few providers offer it, which is a shame, if we did not decide to keep OVZ in the background due to less than stellar stability, would have done something about it, might as well still do something later.

Maounique said: Not to everyone

But it's still an option to get a free /48 on request, right? And note I specifically said Prometeus KVM, so no need to explain anything about OVZ...

It was not to rebuke you, just to clarify and general comments on the thread too. Sorry it felt that way.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Down to .07 - https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_countdown.html

TWC got themselves another big range. Getting really close to the big 0.0 now. IANA are you going to save the day again?

• rds100rds100 Member

jbiloh said: IANA are you going to save the day again?

Hopefully not. Let this misery end :)

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited June 2015

4n0nx said: It's 64 bit because many websites treat a /64 as one person (and it's supposed to be like that). How many server companies do you know that give out a /64 per VPS and let you order as many in addition as you want?

And that's why I don't use IPv6. Call me when I can get as many /64s as I want.

It's not 64 bits even if it's "treated" as 64 bits. Your logic is terribly flawed... You can treat an apple like an orange, it doesn't change the fact that an apple is STILL an apple.

Everyone should start using IPv6. Why? Because IPv6 is faster than v4, v6 has IPSec built-in, v4 is facing exhaustion.

Face it, v6 has many benefits and is future proof for now. Its just a matter of time before v4 runs out.

Thanked by 2dedicados k0nsl

rds100 said: Hopefully not. Let this misery end :)

Actually this is a purely speculative move. The members of ARIN wanted to finish the pool fast because they all have huge piles of IPv4 with little to no value now, but which will suddenly double in price once the big 0 is reached.
    I doubt they would accept another /8 even if IANA would give it to them. After all, there are only that many people in the area and they have way more IPv4 per capita than in any other part of the world. This is why IPv4 hoarders will get way less from their loot than even in RIPE area, not to mention APNIC. The whole scheme was designed this way, their only problem is that ARIN had way too many IPv4 to begin with, so the value is diluted.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

GIANT_CRAB said: It's not 64 bits even if it's "treated" as 64 bits. Your logic is terribly flawed... You can treat an apple like an orange, it doesn't change the fact that an apple is STILL an apple.

I was talking about an apple that is only half an apple, not apples and oranges. Your logic is terribly flawed...

We should start boycotting VPS providers without IPv6. I might still use one, but only if it's for free.

• @jbiloh said:
    Down to .07 - https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_countdown.html

TWC got themselves another big range. Getting really close to the big 0.0 now. IANA are you going to save the day again?

Think I put my request in too late. Let's wait and see...

• How useful is a vps with ipv6 if you dont have, my ips is only ipv4, they dont plan to add ipv6 because all adsl modems are not prepared, and the ip is so dinamic i cant even get a tunnel for ipv6 working.

it sucks