Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange dedicated orders
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange dedicated orders

HWAYSHWAYS Member

Hello
I usually sell on my website shared or vps.
In the last month I got 3 orders for dedicated servers from 2 persons.
They used the same text as requests even if they have different names and emails.

The first one paid for the server very quick, asked for 4 additional ipv4 . moreover he asked and paid for a second one.

Today got another request from another guy, but the request text is the same.

They paid all the time the asked price.

I don't own the dedi I delivered I just buy from another provider, I install the OS and do some security installs and that's all.

PS. On the first server there isn't even traffic done.

Do I have the best no question asked clients or there can be a scheme ?
How should I know ?
Should I check their IPs?

Thank you.

Comments

• Just wait a few days. If they are spammers, they'll start spamming usually within a few days or maybe 1 week of ordering.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited June 2015

They're spammers. Cancel, terminate & refund ASAP.

Else, you'll lose the amount you paid for the servers + the amount the client paid + the chargeback fee (as this will probably be a stolen bank card/paypal transaction) your processor charges.

Thanked by 1jar
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

What country are they from? Did you check the order IPs to see if it was from a consumer datacentre (not actual home ISP) or VPN server?

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

How should I know if they are spammers ?

• HWAYS said: How should I know if they are spammers ?

Your upstream will notify you when the IPs start getting blacklisted

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Use FraudRecord, run their details here: https://fraudrecord.com/report-manager/index.php?action=make-query&; even if no results are returned it still sounds like the PredictLabs spam group or similar.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • MannDude said: it still sounds like the PredictLabs spam group or similar.

Exact.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

Exactly. Predictlabs.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • HWAYSHWAYS Member

So should I stop the servers usage ?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited June 2015

HWAYS said: So should I stop the servers usage ?

@Traffic said:
    They're spammers. Cancel, terminate & refund ASAP.

Else, you'll lose the amount you paid for the servers + the amount the client paid + the chargeback fee (as this will probably be a stolen bank card/paypal transaction) your processor charges.

Gonna / Anna Sovgut? Notorious spammer. Just look: https://www.fraudrecord.com/api/?showreport=c2fd96ace367ff8d

• MannDude said: Gonna / Anna Sovgut? Notorious spammer.

They can make up any name though. But what OP described is what they usually do.

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Yes, cancel the accounts. We've had PredictLabs before we introduced FraudRecord in our order system. Just caused loads of problems with blacklisted IPs etc. Avoid at all cost!

Traffic said: They can make up any name though. But what OP described is what they usually do.

Of course, though she commonly uses that name herself / people get orders from that name still frequently.

Lot of others in the mix too.

For those of you rocking whmcs, enter this into your hostname search:

eg.server

Lot of the PredictLabs idiots just copy/paste items. They will order servers with hostnames that begin with "eg.server" because they're not smart enough to realize that the spam prompt/template they're reading from means "For the host name, enter something like server.domain.com" and instead just copy/paste the example hostname. You may find several hostnames in your system that start with "eg.server" and you'll find they're all from "different people". Look at their ticket history. They will all have the same rDNS requests submitted for random dictionary word hostnames, but the format of the request is always the same.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

I stopped both servers.
    Also probably it will begin the dance with PayPal.

How can I implement Fraud record ?

Thank you.

• HWAYS said: How can I implement Fraud record ?

Not a provider, but I think this will help get u started.

• @HWAYS said:
    I stopped both servers.
    Also probably it will begin the dance with PayPal.

Don't wait for that. Refund it yourself.

How can I implement Fraud record ?

https://fraudrecord.com/integration/

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • HWAYSHWAYS Member

Thank you all of you.

• What's their reasoning? Show us their justification as we have a spell of spammers order but we denied every one of them.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

They said they needed it for VPN.
    They already asked me why they cannot access the server. I have to say that I reinstall it and shut down the machine without any prior notification.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

@HWAYS said:
    They said they needed it for VPN.
    They already asked me why they cannot access the server. I have to say that I reinstall it and shut down the machine without any prior notification.

you have to give proper answer for your client even he is a spammer. Deleting/reinstall the issued server is not better for business

• incoming "hways = scam!!!!" thread on LET

"I buy server to spam but provider cancel server and refund me. why scam!"

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited June 2015

suraj4u said: you have to give proper answer for your client even he is a spammer. Deleting/reinstall the issued server is not better for business

Don't worry, they're not stupid. They know OP catched them.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • HWAYSHWAYS Member
    edited June 2015

@hostnoob: I just asked for an advise. I had to cancel and stop the server because I know that if the IP is blocked in the spam network is almost impossible to whitelist it.
    And in such cases I am directly responsible for the IPs and what is going with the server.

Also I asked myself.of the issue once somebody with the same request asked the same server specs. That means today.

@hostnoob: why you wrote that about me?
    See my other comments and you will see that I am trying to learn over here.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

If you are trying to learn, shouldn't you actually be working for someone instead of doing your own business?

• HWAYSHWAYS Member
    edited June 2015

Guys, I am the culprit here ?
    What's up with you. Are any of you as God trying to judge ? I only thank to all that offered me info about scams and all that.

@cloudvider: I bet you are still working for someone even now.
    Otherwise I don't think that we EVER met and solved all issues which might appear.

PS. If there is nothing to be added I prefer to have the trolls put away.
    Thanks.

• @HWAYS said:
    hostnoob: why you wrote that about me?

I was just saying the spammers may post something like that. Often, on LET people complain about a host even though that person was in the wrong themselves.

So even though you did the right thing, the spammers will probably complain anyway (even though they were in the wrong for spamming)

Apologies if you misunderstood.

• PresbytisPresbytis Member
    edited June 2015

@HWAYS said:
    hostnoob: I just asked for an advise. I had to cancel and stop the server because I know that if the IP is blocked in the spam network is almost impossible to whitelist it.
    And in such cases I am directly responsible for the IPs and what is going with the server.

Also I asked myself.of the issue once somebody with the same request asked the same server specs. That means today.

hostnoob: why you wrote that about me?

He was trying to warn you (sarcastically) that there will be complaints and accusation against you because you terminate your service. Its not unusual where fraudster blame providers when their order terminated. Just be prepared.

However you should terminate that spammer, refund, and give the real reason to your client when terminating it, tell them that you suspected them for spamming or fraud, don't give vague/dishonest answer like reinstall or what not. Its all your rights to decline any clients whatever the reason anyway.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

Sure. I got it.
    I already refunded him and let him know the reasons. I checked the offered rdns and I have already some evidences

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

@HWAYS said:
    Sure. I got it.
    I already refunded him and let him know the reasons. I checked the offered rdns and I have already some evidences

Good move.. Keep it up