Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bandwidth of Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bandwidth of Proxmox

Hi

I cant read parameters in bandwidth graphs,
http://prntscr.com/7h4t6e

Please try to look at here. I made a speedtest, and it shows 370Mbps while bandwidth graphs shows 20M......

Comments

• Please read the graph header. It is network traffic, not bandwidth. It's not the same.

Thanked by 1norival1992
  • Traffic said: Please read the graph header. It is network traffic, not bandwidth. It's not the same.

Hi,

What are they different ???

• @Traffic said:
    Please read the graph header. It is network traffic, not bandwidth. It's not the same.

I want to see how many bandwidth, does this VM use ??? Example : using 50MB/s ~~400 Mbps in network.

• tehdantehdan Member

Hint: what is the minor unit on the x-axis of your graph?

Thanked by 1norival1992
  • @tehdan said:
    Hint: what is the minor unit on the x-axis of your graph?

Yep, i know. But i dont understand what it is writing.
    I want to know how to show MB/s or Mbps on per VM... I want to take care of bandwidth usage per VM.

• tehdantehdan Member

The answer I was looking for was 2 minutes :). What's the difference between 370Mb/sec for 3.5 seconds and 20Mb/sec for 2 minutes?

Thanked by 1norival1992
  • @tehdan said:
    The answer I was looking for was 2 minutes :). What's the difference between 370Mb/sec for 3.5 seconds and 20Mb/sec for 2 minutes?

Could you give me your document???

• tehdantehdan Member

I haven't published any high school maths textbooks, I'm sorry.

You want to know how many MB/GB/whatever a VM has used, right?

Thanked by 2norival1992 k0nsl
  • @tehdan said:
    I haven't published any high school maths textbooks, I'm sorry.

You want to know how many MB/GB/whatever a VM has used, right?

That is right ;)

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited June 2015

Okay -

Your graph has x-axis steps of 2 minutes (or 120 seconds). Looking at your actual figures:

The VM downloaded (net in) an average of 13Mb/sec for those 120 seconds, that's 13*120=1560Mb down

The VM uploaded (net out) an average of 10Mb/sec for those 120 seconds, that's 10*120=1200Mb up

Add those together = 1560+1200=2760Mb or if you prefer MB: 2760/8 = 345MB total traffic.

If you only measure every 2 minutes then you have no way of knowing if that was 345MB in 1 nano second, or a steady 23Mb/sec. As long as you're concerned with traffic amounts and not rates it doesn't make a difference.

• @tehdan said:
    Okay -

Your graph has x-axis steps of 2 minutes (or 120 seconds). Looking at your actual figures:

The VM downloaded (net in) an average of 13Mb/sec for those 120 seconds, that's 13*120=1560Mb down

The VM uploaded (net out) an average of 10Mb/sec for those 120 seconds, that's 10*120=1200Mb up

Add those together = 1560+1200=2760Mb or if you prefer MB: 2760/8 = 345MB total traffic.

If you only measure every 2 minutes then you have no way of knowing if that was 345MB in 1 nano second, or a steady 23Mb/sec. As long as you're concerned with traffic amounts and not rates it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks a lot.
    But my picture, which i show you that is Download speed, and upload speed is 320Mbps.
    So is there some mistake ??? I need to know to write to desktop application.
    I cant control with those values.....

• tehdantehdan Member

How long did you download 320Mbps for?

• i Think about 4 or 6 seconds

• tehdantehdan Member

how much was your connection being used for the other 114 seconds?

• I dont use anything, only make a test by speedtest.

• tehdantehdan Member

so - over the 2 minute period, what was your average usage?

• After 2 minutes, i turned my VM off.

• tehdantehdan Member

You only have data at a resolution of 2 minutes. Your graph can only show you the average traffic for 2 minute periods. Could be 120Mb/sec for 1 second or 1Mb/sec for 2 minutes - either way you've moved the same number of bytes.

• @tehdan said:
    You only have data at a resolution of 2 minutes. Your graph can only show you the average traffic for 2 minute periods. Could be 120Mb/sec for 1 second or 1Mb/sec for 2 minutes - either way you've moved the same number of bytes.

Do you have skype ??? I will give you full result.

• Also keep in mind that proxmox reports in megabytes per second (the rate limiting on the network interfaces is megabytes per second as well)

• @doverland said:
    Also keep in mind that proxmox reports in megabytes per second (the rate limiting on the network interfaces is megabytes per second as well)

Yes, i think so. Because i tried to limit per VM with 50 value 50MB/s 400Mbps.

But in network graphs, i dont know what it is writting.

• As others have put, this is only showing you what has happened between the two time slots of 120 seconds, it is not recording every second but taking how much data you have used in 120 seconds and working out an average over this time.

Your speed test only lasted a few seconds, the rest of the 120 seconds you was using none/little bandwidth so this brought down your average for that 120 seconds to what you see.

Hope that answers your question.

• Thanks,

But how can i know exactly MB to export to desktop application ?

Example: VM is downloading windows 7 iso with 3GB at 50 MB/s .

• @ggsmarket said:
    Thanks,

But how can i know exactly MB to export to desktop application ?

Example: VM is downloading windows 7 iso with 3GB at 50 MB/s .

With that data, it's impossible to know that. Even forgetting the "ISO" part, it's impossible as well.

You could have several transfers at once - no need for the BW to be a single file's BW.