Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS : How to Backup and Sync ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS : How to Backup and Sync ?

MridulMridul Member
edited June 2015 in General

Dear Members,

A. Introduction :

I am assisting my freind to setup his whmcs and i have theoretical idea of taking backups and sync for whmcs to make the setup redundant and safe from crashes.

B. The Problem :

What if the WHMCS ( the VPS on which its installed ) Fails for any odd reason, How do i address my clients and provide support ?

C. The Proposed Solution : Lets Have 3 VPS Servers :

• primary.com ( having production whmcs )

• backup.com ( having HIDDEN whmcs install , synced with primary.com )

• 911support.com ( Kayako System, ONLY for client support when primary.com fails and we can access ONLY backup.com )

So even if primary.com fails , the staff can access the updated backup.com and provide support vis 911support.com , till primary.com gets online.

D. The Setup :

• Main WHMCS on VPS 1 : primary.com
  • Backup WHMCS on VPS 2 : backup.com ( Hidden , Not Publically Available )

E. The Query :

1. Is this setup recommended, or its flawed in someway ?
  2. How to sync whmcs databases on VPS1 and VPS2

Im sure this will help many others who wish to make their whmcs setup more redundant and secure.

Thanx.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

mysql master <> slave, done.

It is not flawed it just seems a bit over the top, unless your 'friend' is hosting his billing platform on someone else's infrastructure and has no access to take backups of the full disk image.

The problem with replication is shit in shit out, i.e. unless you notice it pdq your slave will be fubar too if it is sql related i.e. injected.

Honestly I think your 'friend' should be able to answer this question in detail for you if he is planning on getting in to this business to begin with, it is more alarming that your 'friend' needs someone else to setup his billing system to begin with....

Just make a DR plan, make sure everyone is aware and it fits your business practices and setup and your done.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • MridulMridul Member
    edited June 2015

Honestly I think your 'friend' should be able to answer this question in detail for you if he is planning on getting in to this business to begin with, it is more alarming that your 'friend' needs someone else to setup his billing system to begin with....

Agreed.
    Dont worry , we are only learing , using a few WHM resellers and hosting local clients.
    India is a Huge Market where an India Hosted VPS with 1 TB B/w is a rare phenomenon !

btw, can you plz give the practical steps to perform : mysql master <> slave

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2015

Why not just run a load balancer/failover system and take traditional backups?

MySQL replication is useful but as pointed out make sure you have plans in place against injection etc.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Mridul said: btw, can you plz give the practical steps to perform : mysql master <> slave

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=setting+up+mysql+master+slave+replication#

First link.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited June 2015

Do you have node access?
    If so, you can have the main node vzdump the production server and copy it over.

• MridulMridul Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    Do you have node access?
    If so, you can have the main node vzdump the production server and copy it over.

Ok, do you mean rsync ?

• No - I was asking if you had root access to the main node. If not, rsync should do the job. Just have a cron job sync /var/lib/mysql or use SSHFS.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • MridulMridul Member

Im exploring the vzdump idea. Looks really interesting. Basically it would clone the production whmcs vps , thats exactly what i want.