Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GRE Tunneling Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GRE Tunneling Question

DillybobDillybob Member
edited June 2015 in Help

I would assume just out of common sense that if you buy a filtered IP (lets say BuyVM's for example), and then you use that to tunnel to your main dedicated server.

My question is: Should your dedicated server's location be in the same state as where you're going to be tunneling from? [Or atleast, in a certain mile radius] Like, you don't want a filtered ip box in WA State, and then your dedi is located in New York, right? Or is the speed difference negligible when tunneling?

Edit: Now that I think of it, for my example above wouldn't that be 2 round trips? The tunnel has to connect from WA State to New York, then the New York dedicated box has to connect back to WA State (IF WE are assuming someone is connecting from WA State) which would make the latency duration/lag even longer... or am I over-thinking this?

Comments

• Ideally, you would want to be in the same region if latency is an issue, not necessarily the same state. You should do ping/download tests from the dedi to the make sure it gets an ideal connection to the filtered IP. Any connections to and from your server will first go through the filtered IP, so yes it would be added to the latency.

User --> filtered IP --> Dedi --> Filtered IP --> User

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • out of common sense I'd just get a ds with ddos mitigation ;)

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

century1stop said: out of common sense I'd just get a ds with ddos mitigation ;)

True, but BuyVM's protected ip at only 3 a month though... :P Kind of hard to pass up hehe.

• zxbzxb Member

Latency and throughput(speed) are two different things.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited June 2015

-removed-