Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Experiences with OVH VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Experiences with OVH VPS?

Hey guys,

i would like to know if there is anyone with experiences regarding the VPS servers from OVH (link). I would like to get me a 'VPS Classic 1'. The main use of it will be a TS3 server (around 150-200 users online).
Is it any good? Is the DDOS protection like the one used in the dedis?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• You may need to consider higher package than classic 1 to run TS server. Their DDOS is really good and I've used their VPS packages past.

Try classic 3 or 4 to run your server smoothly. They offer more power + ram.

I didn't had such downtimes with them. But one of my friend running a vps with them now and he faced a small one.

Only thing is their support is bit late (ticket. Phone support is really good. But since I'm living in LKA, calling was expensive like buying a car back then)

• Try better VPS Cloud, much better then OVZ Classic in perfomance.

• VPS Classic 1 is great in France I'm using it over year now I haved once timeout issue but OVH fixed it. In Canada VPS are fine just slow in panel like reinstall and boot it takes forever maybe because of far distance. overall their service are great.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

I had no issues until they blocked SMTP traffic after I received a few spam emails. It was tunneling traffic to my mail server, so admittedly it would be seen as outgoing as well, but I didn't appreciate packet inspection of my emails and blocking of the service with no prior warning, no RBLs despite months of use for that purpose, etc.

You dump packets when you have to, not to examine and filter customer content when you have 0 abuse complaints.

They even sent me a few subjects of the emails which, again, were incoming and simply tunneled back to my mail server (for DDOS protection).

• Took 36 hours for mine to be set up the other week. OVH DDoS Protection isn't the best, but for the money that is paid, it's fine, Other than that, it's good.

• BochiBochi Member

Switched to a OVH "VPS Classic 1" with a plex media server nearly half a year ago, no real problems whatsoever for something at this price tag.

• sc754sc754 Member

Why not go with a runabove sandbox instead, more ram and disk space, and it's cloud and still provided by OVH.

• Bochi said: Switched to a OVH "VPS Classic 1" with a plex media server nearly half a year ago, no real problems whatsoever for something at this price tag.

plex running on a single core very old amd opteron? what are your plex settings.

• CrogicCrogic Member

I ordered one (VPS Classic) on Saturday and haven't received it yet. According to the case update it looks like they don't have enough resources to deploy my VPS (VPS Classic 1 - Canada).

• Low I/O (capped at 32MB/s) if you care about that sort of thing and mine (Classic 1) used to reboot randomly all the time. Other than that it was OK.

• hostnoob said: Low I/O (capped at 32MB/s) if you care about that sort of thing and mine (Classic 1) used to reboot randomly all the time. Other than that it was OK.

i proved that was nonsense some weeks back. i had over 150MB/S

it's probably the node your on (or using the old FS)

• BochiBochi Member
    edited June 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    plex running on a single core very old amd opteron? what are your plex settings.

All of the devices support Direct Play / Stream, so this is not a problem! :)
    Some transcoding worked also but that may heavily depend on the input files.
    CPU is from late 2012, so not too old (cat /proc/cpuinfo. ;P

• MultiMulti Member

Well, i dont really need awesome I/O.

But i have heard the DDOS protection might cause problem with teamspeak. Can anyone confirm this or have a teamspeak running there?

• wheezywheezy Member
    edited June 2015

@Multi said:
    Well, i dont really need awesome I/O.

But i have heard the DDOS protection might cause problem with teamspeak. Can anyone confirm this or have a teamspeak running there?

Unless you're getting DDOSed, DDOS protection won't cause any problems. They may drop all UDP traffic during attack.

• MultiMulti Member

Well, its like using no DDOS protection then if they drop all the traffic when i get hit :D

But thanks, i think ill give them a try. I mean just 2,40 Euro per month if more then worth. Guess noone can compete that pricing.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • oalarooalaro Member

wheezy said: They may drop all UDP traffic during attack.

That means dropping all ts3 traffic. Making service unusable for his usage. I also had problems with DDoS on my ts3 server.

I'd suggest going with Ramnode(Blacklotus filtering) or BuyVM(Voxility filtering) or what I'm currently using INIZ(Inhouse filtering).

Since they have inhouse they can make custom ACLs so, if an attack is making your vps inaccessible they can adjust rules fast and next attack shouldnt impact you anymore. Also their ticket answering time is very fast.