Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone interested in these storage plans? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone interested in these storage plans?

Comments

• you could maybe consider crashplan? it is not same as a real storage but I believe that most users could be happy with it.

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2012

@komo said: you could maybe consider crashplan? it is not same as a real storage but I believe that most users could be happy with it.

Crashplan is, unfortunately, extremely difficult to use with Linux.

About the only positive thing I can say about it is that it's very thorough. Eventually. If you have days available.

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • @Oliver said: Would anyone be interested in these types of services if they just had a shell account and not their own actual VPS?

Yes.

For those who simply want to store stuff, and a lot of it, there's little need for your own IP. It's work perfectly fine for my usage, at least - Providing it's nice and secure.

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, you can always save IPs and give only chrooted shells with quota, but I like to be in full control. I hope soon ipv6-only plans will be available, I am testing something towards this.
    M

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • Not fond of a shared chrooted environment for data. VPS isolation is a tad better.

Ability to run rsync on the backup server mandatory (could run either if configured to).

It could work, but probably a lesser price point if intending on competing with other offers floating in this low cost sector.

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • @oliver security is probably the biggest concern. If you have experience running something like gentoo hardened and reflect the benefits of that in your marketing, that could alleviate those concerns. That would make me curious enough to look at pricing :)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Is VPS isolation really that much better if you are not experienced enough to secure your own system?

If your data is private you should encrypt it as well.

FWIW there are plenty of guides (for example the NSA Redhat ones) to lock down a Redhat distro as well. Or run FreeBSD or something. It probably doesn't matter that much if you know what you're doing. I think if I was seriously going to offer this I'd find a reputable third party to do some penetration testing...

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • Planning to take an Ex 4/Ex 4s Dedicated box from Hetzner primarily for rsync backup.
    (i7, 16/32GB ram, 2x3TB SATA, 10TB @ 100mbit [incoming traffic not counted], 49 euro/m + 49 setup)

How would that compare to the 2TB offer from concerto or other storage plans offered on leb/let.
    Are there any known problems one should be prepared to face?

I have a cpu intensive personal project with very low disk usage, to run on the i7 with that RAM.

• @diya Be prepared, I've seen countless reviews on hardware failure recently over at WHT regarding Hetzner but then there's been good long lasting one's as well. Really just have to be lucky to get new drives

Thanked by 1divya
  • @StormVZ said: hardware failure recently over at WHT regarding Hetzner

@divya why not Kimsufi? I think they have better drives than Hetzner...

Thanked by 1divya
  • @divya said: How would that compare to the 2TB offer from concerto or other storage plans offered on leb/let.

Are there any known problems one should be prepared to face?

How's my offer? As I said I'm not making profit for this storage plan. Why? I need some myself, but don't need all of it. The initial cost of setting up a backup server versus adding a few more drives is minor though.

@StormVZ said: Be prepared, I've seen countless reviews on hardware failure recently over at WHT regarding Hetzner but then there's been good long lasting one's as well. Really just have to be lucky to get new drives

Yeah we originally were going to go with Hetzner, but decided not to. The other problem you will face if your servers are in US is possibly the network speed.

Thanked by 1divya
  • komokomo Member
    edited October 2012

@Damian said: Crashplan is, unfortunately, extremely difficult to use with Linux.

About the only positive thing I can say about it is that it's very thorough. Eventually. If you have days available.

What is difficult about it? Days??

I am using it on four headless servers without problems. I set that up in 5 minutes.

There is daemon part and control gui. Daemon is running on the server, then you bind a daemon port to your localport with ssh and then you connect the GUI to this localport.

First time I read the howto from crashplan wiki and it took me just a few minutes to install and configure everything. I needed half an hour to understand all the GUI options but that is not a Linux problem.

• @komo said: Days??

Yes, when we installed it, it was going to take about 15+ days (according to the interface) to backup each server. Each server ranging from 400gb to 1500gb of data. I set the max transfer speed to 100mbit, but still was saying it would take 15+ days.

Needing to create an SSH tunnel to be able to connect the local GUI to the remote server was a bit unwieldly. It's 2012; why isn't it proper server/client connection? I can't think of another software that requires me to create SSH tunnels to connect to it for administration.

We also had an issue with the server daemon crashing upon startup on an older Centos 5 system. Crashplan support, while very helpful, were unable to figure out the cause of the issue.

Another issue encountered was the complete ignorance of the values for CPU or disk i/o. We'd see load averages in the 800+ range, which could be stopped by turning off Crashplan. Granted, these systems were already a bit stressed, and adding a concurrent backup system probably didn't help, but if there's going to be a mechanism for throttling disk/CPU usage, it should probably work.

• @concerto49 said: Thanks for all the interest. We're not aiming to make profit. Why? We need large storage backups ourselves and looking to share with the community.

Will address the network concern.

When can I buy one of these ?

• Yeah we originally were going to go with Hetzner, but decided not to. The other problem you will face if your servers are in US is possibly the network speed.>

There's a market in every country on the planet for such storage plans. Even the often over-offered US has little competitors in this price range.

Anyone have a Hetzner speed test file handy? Don't recall testing their network from the US recently...

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler said: Anyone have a Hetzner speed test file handy? Don't recall testing their network from the US recently...

hetzner.de/100MB.iso

Thanked by 1pubcrawler
  • Due to all the competition, we're moving this to Texas :) and pricing will be slightly higher. Possibly something in the next 14 days as we can't make another offer post just yet.

• Texas is a good location to offer this out of.

Unaware of similar offer in Texas at this point.

• Just as ChicagoVPS decides to start offering some packages in Chicago for storage. See those guys coming VERY soon ;)

• @zhuanyi said: @divya why not Kimsufi? I think they have better drives than Hetzner...

why do you think that? never had any problems with Hetzner dedis

• I'll buy only if you make it 512ram instead of 128ram since it's hard to run a website with just only 128

• @Ruriko said: I'll buy only if you make it 512ram instead of 128ram since it's hard to run a website with just only 128

These are storage plans, they're not intended for any other purpose but to store data.

• @jshinkle,

What is this ChicagoVPS rain on the parade week?

Hurricane ChicagoVPS :)

Hard to oversell storage. It's a much more honest business compared to selling VPS'es.

• @Ruriko said: I'll buy only if you make it 512ram instead of 128ram since it's hard to run a website with just only 128

What sort of plan are you looking for? Using it as a video streaming website?

• That's funny:

@miTgiB, selling 500% of total storage space should be quite safe, if you monitor free space and make sure you're able to quickly add more if needed. >

Odd to see one of the top 3 providers from last month contest saying that.

What what said exactly:

While you allocate X space to someone in OpenVZ, few will use 100% of it, most actually use around 10% of their space, while with KVM/Xen, what you allocate is gone and cannot be shared. >

Yeah, that is pretty shady. It operates just like the banks do warehousing liquid wealth. As long as most people are blissfully unaware and not demanding what is theirs you can continue overselling.

Still is harder to oversell storage space. Storage is intended to be used and filled and left there to rot typically. Different beast than VPS storage, which I agree stays mostly empty.

Under the scenario above, 1TB of disk can be sold to equivalent of 10TB :) Certainly reasonable to make that 1TB, 5TB salable.

• Wondering why providers aren't pushing out open source distributed filesystems for their storage offerings, instead of in the same server disk?

Commodity hardware aggregated works well for lower price point and high throughput.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2012

@pubcrawler said: Wondering why providers aren't pushing out open source distributed filesystems for their storage offerings, instead of in the same server disk?

1. 10G NICs and switches are still expensive, and having distributed storage over 1G network will make the LEB crowd bitch and moan about slow IO.
    2. Too much complexity adds instability.
  • Storage nodes for storage only shouldn't have any issue with disk IO speeds. Slowest link is the upload/download speed from the server. That can be saturated simply.

Distributed file systems are used all over the place by the biggest tech, education, government, etc. Plenty of those aren't running exotic 10G NICs.

• @pubcrawler said: Odd to see one of the top 3 providers from last month contest saying that.

And yet I have zero complaints about space, it's all about active management.

@pubcrawler said: Storage nodes for storage only shouldn't have any issue with disk IO speeds.

Storage nodes have huge issues with I/O, one of the reasons I left the space. To do storage for LEB pricing, I could not get the scaling needed to make it profitable, and still provide decent, or even acceptable performance.