Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: VPS in Vietnam, HCMC - with good Intl. bandwidth
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted: VPS in Vietnam, HCMC - with good Intl. bandwidth

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a provider in Vietnam who can supply an affordable VPS based in HCMC that has good international bandwidth?

I'm trying to stand up a VPN server to watch streaming media through and to do that I need it to have a solid 2-4Mb/s intl. ability. I've found a collection of VPS providers in VN recently and have given one a go who advertised a high International speed, but I've found the speeds are all over the place and I've never seen it consistently get 2Mb/s. I'm testing that to various HK sites as the majority of VN traffic seems to route that way as the first hop outside the country.

For budget I'd prefer to spend < $20USD/month and if I can get it that low I'll likely keep the server running for some time.

The virtualisation will beed to be non-OpenVZ because I'd like the server to run FreeBSD. Minimum resource specs would be 768MB RAM, 15GB HDD (doesn't have to be SSD), 1x IPv4, 1TB traffic. The provider doesn't need to know anything *BSD, I can easily self install if given console and boot ISO access.

The location, the virtualisation, the specs and the price (sometimes) can be found with enough general searches online. It's the International bandwidth that appears to be the hurdle. VN has relatively limited intl. capacity and that reflects in service capacity and prices. Many VPS offers I've seen actually have unlimited traffic allocation (which I don't mind) but the reality is you'd never see anywhere near significant usage of that.

So, any good offers or recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

You can take a look at https://exoticvps.com/

• @AlbaHost said:
    You can take a look at https://exoticvps.com/

Thanks, it's a good one. International bandwidth is still the big question though.

I had previously seen one provider who sold guaranteed bandwidth by the Mb/s as an option on their VPS's... but I can't find where that was now. Frustrating...

• gianggiang Veteran

poolroom said: Thanks, it's a good one. International bandwidth is still the big question though.

From what I know, they usually limit international bw to 10Mbps or so.

• @giang said:
    From what I know, they usually limit international bw to 10Mbps or so.

I've seen that too - and I'd be really happy to get half of that. The VPS I currently have is meant to have that setting... and I'm watching packages download from big mirrors 12-25 kBps. It's ok for that, but not enough for streaming.

I know the realities of this, I'm not expecting xMb/s from somewhere to everywhere. Just getting a reliable, useful amount to the closest destinations outside the country would be something I could build on.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

You might want to hold out to your purchase as there is some fault with AAG cable. One of our customer feedback to us recently. The traffic was throw to LA before coming back to Singapore.

http://subtelforum.com/articles/aag-submarine-cable-to-cease-activity-for-10-days/

• @ExpertVM said:
    You might want to hold out to your purchase as there is some fault with AAG cable. One of our customer feedback to us recently. The traffic was throw to LA before coming back to Singapore.

http://subtelforum.com/articles/aag-submarine-cable-to-cease-activity-for-10-days/

Thank you! I've been wondering if anything unusual was going on and I couldn't find it. We landed in VN on the 6th and this outage started on the 7th so near perfect timing on our part. ;)

Based on that I'll see if things improve after June 16th, assuming the planned works are finished as advertised.

• @Albertwu said:
    According for your requirement, I recommend you this one.
    CPU: 1 Core
    RAM: 512MB
    HDD: 15GB
    Bandwidth: Unlimited
    Monthly cost: 300.000 VNĐ

Thanks! Can you say what local/International port speeds I should expect?