Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP address location changed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP address location changed?

ChuckChuck Member

I have this VPS w dedicated IPv4 Dallas, TX.

I shutdown the VPS for like 4 months. Today, the IP address shows in New York location. Any idea how this happened? Was planning to use VPN w Dallas location.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Possible geolocation database updated it

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Do you mean your VPS was moved to New York or that your IP has a different geolocation as before?

• ChuckChuck Member

@KuJoe said:
    Do you mean your VPS was moved to New York or that your IP has a different geolocation as before?

Yes...

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited June 2015

Geolocation databases differ - sometimes greatly. As mentioned, the database could have been updated, but the info could also be coming from a different database now.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

+1 to what @Ole_Juul said. Geolocation databases are not always accurate since they are rarely validated and can be updated by basically anybody. Google's database for instance is regularly incorrect when it comes to non-ISP IPs (I would say Google's is wrong 7 out of 10 times). Maxmind's is the most accurate I've encountered but when it is wrong it shouldn't take more than a month for them to correct it after the correction form is submitted.

Contact your VPS provider and let them know which databases are incorrect and they can submit the proper forms to get them corrected.