Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blacklisted, no MX server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blacklisted, no MX server

msanamsana Member

Hi there,

I have been blacklisted twice (appeared on the blacklists at mxtoolbox) although I don't have a mail server running.
What I'm I doing wrong? My VPS is running on centos 6 with fail2ban active and configured correctly. I also have iptables allowing only the ports/services I need. What could be causing my IP to appear on those blacklists??

Comments

• Maybe the IP was previously used to send spam.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

What are you exactly doing with the VPS ??

Some cases which can happen:

1. You're hosting some websites which have Malware infected PHP Files which are sending Emails from your Server and it's getting blacklisted.

2. The IP's are blacklisted when you got that. I mean from the provider's end somehow.

• msanamsana Member

@catalystium said:
    Maybe the IP was previously used to send spam.

This is the most probable reason.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    What are you exactly doing with the VPS ??

Some cases which can happen:

1. You're hosting some websites which have Malware infected PHP Files which are sending Emails from your Server and it's getting blacklisted.

2. The IP's are blacklisted when you got that. I mean from the provider's end somehow.

1. I haven't even setup a webserver on it. I've just been trying out a few constellations of lamp/lemp to see what suits the resources I have.
    2. How do I know if that was the case?
  • OnraHostOnraHost Member
    edited June 2015

Who's the blacklists? SPAMCANNIBAL for example or horrible. They will blacklist simply because you don't have an rDNS setup on your IP.

• msanamsana Member

I'm on UCEPROTECTL1. rDNS? how do I set that up??

• cassacassa Member

What datacenter?

Thanked by 1W3HostingServices
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

@msana said:
    2. How do I know if that was the case?

If you haven't setup anything and it's on Blacklist, then We can assume that the provider gave you a blacklisted IP & at the time of sign up, you didn't check it. Now, the way to remove it is to contact with that particular Blacklisting Company. And Setting up rDNS might be helpful. It should be available in SolusVM / Virtualizor Panel.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@msana said:
    I'm on UCEPROTECTL1. rDNS? how do I set that up??

Proper rDNS will get you out of it slowly, not that it matters. Don't worry about a UCEPROTECT listing, especially if you're not sending mail. More than anything, they're just trying to make a few bucks off of people.

• AltAlt Member

@msana: maybe it's your provider's IP range which is blacklisted because of others customers who have spammed.
    So even if your server is clean, your neighbors may be messy :-(

• UrDNUrDN Member

Using filtering software that accepts mail and then "marks spam as such" or “moves it to a spam folder” is a complete nonsense, because the spammer has already achieved what he intended to do:

THE CRAP WAS DELIVERED TO YOUR SYSTEM! Whether you read it or not does not matter to the spammer!!!

"We prevent messages from being sent to you, so when you were supposed to receive a legitimate one you would never receive a notification that it was blocked and thus you would never suspect it's our fault, also our blacklists allow spammers to select their IP addresses to make sure they'll always reach your inbox. Love love love, we are the best blacklist, we blacklist better than the others. UCEPROTECT".

Now the question is, what scums are using this?

• Do you have an MTA installed? Is port 25 open?

Even if you are just sending outgoing email if you don't configure a proper mail server name the MTA will call itself localhost and that's enough to get you on certain blacklists.

The other possibility is that you have an open relay. Spammers are exploiting that.

• msanamsana Member

@Abdussamad said:
    Do you have an MTA installed? Is port 25 open?

Even if you are just sending outgoing email if you don't configure a proper mail server name the MTA will call itself localhost and that's enough to get you on certain blacklists.

The other possibility is that you have an open relay. Spammers are exploiting that.

I had postfix installed by default. It's default configuration doesn't allow open relays afaik. Have tried that from my end. Also mxtoolbox checks for that too.

@Jar @Mahfuz_SS_EHL @Alt
    I got a reply from my hoster: it's the missing rDNS entry which got me blacklisted. How I even ended up there without sending any email is a real puzzle!!

@cassa I don't really understand you

So this is solved. Thanks a lot for your help. summary:
    Make sure you:

1. have an rDNS entry
    2. have an SPF entry
    3. setup dkim correctly
    4. get a signed cert (even for free)
    5. secure your mta and mda
      then you can be almost 50% sure you won't land on some blacklist xD
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

msana said: How I even ended up there without sending any email is a real puzzle!!

I'm of the opinion that this is their game. Seek out IP ranges, regardless of whether or not they send mail, list them for not conforming to their standards, and hope someone like you runs across it that never saw it before and ends up paying them for swift removal.

I have a huge problem with any RBL that charges people they list, especially for inaction rather than actually spamming. There are plenty of profitable reasons to run an RBL that do not involve blackmail, example being an attempt to improve quality of a paid mail service.