Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net dedibox - is it a scam?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net dedibox - is it a scam?

edited June 2015 in Providers

how do we know that the online.net dedibox costing 5,99€ per month is not a scam?

it is not really a dedicated server but a cheap low cost VPS

Comments

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited June 2015

Omg, just leave..
    You shouldn't manage a server when you ask such questions you could easily google.

http://serverfault.com/questions/332848/how-to-verify-if-a-dedicated-server-is-really-dedicated

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

oh you mean when a hard drive "breaks" they just deleted your files for fun to make it seem like a dedicated server? hmmmmmmmmm

• LOL. As someone who has a few of them at 2 Eur/mo, believe me.. Its not a scam

• Please kindly spend your sunny weekend on family BBQ than being troll on LET.

• Changed the title from "online.net dedibox scam" to "online.net dedibox - is it a scam?" in order to highlight that this thread is a question rather than a conclusion of some sort.

Thanked by 1badpatrick
  • This is too funny - online.net in fact is one of the cheapest dedicated server hosts ever.
    Apart from DelimiterVPS, online.net in my opinion rocks.
    Especially after their cloud ARM server beta.

• icryicry Member

I am a repeated buyer there. It's a good host.
    If you don't get what you need, Buy from one-provider france location-they resell online.net in france....Bought a 100mbps unmetered server but got a 1gbps unmetered server...:)

• @icry said:
    Bought a 100mbps unmetered server but got a 1gbps unmetered server...:)

I think all of Online.net's servers are 1Gbps connected, but you're only guaranteed 200Mbps (or more). And with the 1.99Eur specials, if you push more than 100Mbps a month on average they'll ask you to tone it down, but you can burst up to 1Gbps for sure.

• sc754sc754 Member

I can confirm it is a scam, beware hax0rs

Thanked by 1netomx
  • 4n0nx said: oh you mean when a hard drive "breaks" they just deleted your files for fun to make it seem like a dedicated server? hmmmmmmmmm

Interesting. Seems like having fun is awesome when working at online.net

• @testingtesting said:
    how do we know that the online.net dedibox costing 5,99€ per month is not a scam?

it is not really a dedicated server but a cheap low cost VPS

you don't can do this, with a vps so long time:

top - 01:26:45 up 101 days, 17:20, 1 user, load average: 10.32, 9.99, 8.76
    Tasks: 121 total, 2 running, 119 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    %Cpu(s): 42.4 us, 4.6 sy, 0.0 ni, 52.6 id, 0.3 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.1 si, 0.0 st
    KiB Mem: 2016600 total, 1269600 used, 747000 free, 133628 buffers
    KiB Swap: 999420 total, 40440 used, 958980 free. 713228 cached Mem

• @vpssamy You can! E.g. If the provider just doesn't care or when you've got a dedicated cpu.

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited June 2015

Even the random avatar looks like a genuine troll face

Seems like he's "testingtesting" us

• Offline.NET is the scam one, buddy :p

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

The problem I have is, do they accept USD...? Seems like it's in Euro's only.

• @Dillybob said:
    The problem I have is, do they accept USD...? Seems like it's in Euro's only.

The invoice is in Euros, but I've never had issues paying with an Entropay virtual card. I'm sure it gets converted.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

another post and run

Thanked by 3netomx jvnadr Pwner
  • Heh one thing that I found amusing about online was their default RDNS

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I have 2 servers with them and they are a complete charm. Cant fault them at all. Would wholeheartedly recommend them. You do have to be used to their humour though. (You need to like ponys. Don't remind me about the T-Shirt and the stickers)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

dragon2611 said: Heh one thing that I found amusing about online was their default RDNS

Out of curiosity, what was it :)?

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited June 2015

@Clouvider said:

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.rev.poneytelecom.eu

Where xxx is the servers ip.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2015

It's just the base domain for reverse DNS of their whole network, you can traceroute on IPv4 to www.online.net and you will see it. Also they have this website: http://www.poneytelecom.eu/

• dragon2611 said: xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.rev.poneytelecom.eu

Yep, that's no news - they've being reselling Poney's VPSs for ages. Reverend Poney must be happy for those extra sales.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Traffic said: Yep, that's no news - they've being reselling Poney's VPSs for ages.

Hum, I always thought they resell BuyVM?

• AltAlt Member

@Maounique: Online/Dedibox/PoneyTelecom/Scaleway/Iliad doesn't resell anything, they have their own servers in their own datacenters. Also, they don't sell VPS.

• Maounique said: Hum, I always thought they resell BuyVM?

That's what they call their "US Nodes".

• we have one 40 Euro E3 machine with them, it says 300mbps is guaranteed, so how much bandwidth can be used realistic before they send a email to pay extra 72

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Alt Are you a blonde ?

This reminds me a joke:

A guy sits in a bar and tries to hook up with a girl near.

-Hey, wanna hear a joke about blondes?
    -Look, said the girl, I am karate champion for this state, my natural hair colour is blonde, my friend here is also a blonde and a judo champion, while my friend which comes through the door now, is also a blonde and is heavylifting champion, are you sure you want to tell us a joke about blondes?
    -Nah, said the man resigned, I'd have to explain the joke three times over.

• tommytommy Member

slicebox said: we have one 40 Euro E3 machine with them, it says 300mbps is guaranteed, so how much bandwidth can be used realistic before they send a email to pay extra 72

run script to download 'Linux ISO' from various location, and you'll know.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

slicebox said: we have one 40 Euro E3 machine with them, it says 300mbps is guaranteed, so how much bandwidth can be used realistic before they send a email to pay extra 72

Obviously need to dl more than 300 mbit/s average so 90-100TB.