Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are these iftop sites coming from?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where are these iftop sites coming from?

DillybobDillybob Member
edited June 2015 in Help

As you all know I recently bought a 75 cent 256mb box from CVPS. It works quite well actually and have been testing some stuff on it. I have installed iftop to track bandwidth usage. I keep seeing random sites appearing like 'BryanCrossfit.com', 'tpgi.com.au', 'optonline.net', ''ppp.bbiq.jp', and others:

And these sites started appearing before I posted this thread where the IP was public.

Just curious... as I have done no advertising whatsoever..

Comments

• SadySady Member

Do you work at CVPS?

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Lol nop, why? Are they hated around here or something?

• @Dillybob said:
    Lol nop, why? Are they hated around here or something?

Just a shit provider

• The results you got there are the rDNS entries of servers which do stuff like port scans. If you've installed a webserver, G. will crawl its content. Other services will scan if you're running xyz service. You don't need to advertise a domain / ip anywhere, as long as you're in the IP space you're findable :p
    If you want to check to which port these systems connect to, try netstat

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

nexusrain said: If you want to check to which port these systems connect to, try netstat

don't have to use netstat. you can still use iftop, but create .iftoprc file first in your home directory:

[root@sd-23456 ~]# cat .iftoprc 
    use-bytes: no
    port-display: on
    port-resolution: yes
    [root@sd-23456 ~]# 

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

or press '?' during iftop operation and select appropriate options on the spot.