Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iptables UDP Flood Protection Not Working
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iptables UDP Flood Protection Not Working

DillybobDillybob Member
edited June 2015 in General

This is the reason why I bought a VPS For 75 cents :P

Anyways, I'm using this simple rule for iptables to DROP all incoming udp..

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -j DROP

But, when using a UDP spammer like LOIC, the packets are still being sent and not dropped? I am using iftop to see the bandwidth:

An attacker could leave this thing running just for several minutes / hours and use up all my bandwidth obviously.. Anyway to mitigate this?

Comments

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited June 2015

It hits and gets dropped. Traffic will still reaches your IP no matter what (unless your IP gets nullrouted). IPTables only just stops it from being processed by your server.

Some DDoS protected providers only count traffic that are not dropped by the physical firewall or your server. Maybe you can try them.

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Well darn... It's really that easy then to use up someone's bandwidth? Just download LOIC and do a UDP flood even if they are dropped via iptables? That doesn't seem fair, the whole reason why I wanted to get on a linux box is to use iptables to prevent this type of flooding.... Well.. bummer.

I'm guessing, the only way for this bandwidth not to be reached is for it be blocked at the physical layer? Which iptables doesn't have access to it, right? Only the physical router/firewall at the DC I assume?

Edit: So this is where the term 'DoS / DDOS Prevention' comes into play that hosts offer? :P

edited June 2015

LMAO you guys are naughty as hell, holee sheet :D

Ripppp

• Dillybob said: Edit: So this is where the term 'DoS / DDOS Prevention' comes into play that hosts offer? :P

You can take a look at Limestone Networks, they offer DDoS protection through blacklotus. However, it isn't very LEB pricing.

If you want LEB pricing, you might want to look at SecuredDragon or Vultr (they offer protection in NJ only) or BuyVM .

• getvpsgetvps Member

i do not like your tools and screenshots (please do not flood me)

• Hmm?

Where did you seen that iptables is "anti-ddos protection tool"? Iptables is firewall. It filter packets, and nothing else. It has nothing with UDP Flood protection and can't do anything in this part. The only reason where iptables can help is reduce total number of packets, which your software need to process.

edited June 2015

Profforg said: Hmm?

Where did you seen that iptables is "anti-ddos protection tool"? Iptables is firewall. It filter packets, and nothing else. It has nothing with UDP Flood protection and can't do anything in this part. The only reason where iptables can help is reduce total number of packets, which your software need to process.

Well, what I'm doing is not a DDOS, but just a simple udp flood. I just misunderstood the rules of iptables. I was thinking that if the PACKET was dropped, it wouldn't show up or hit the server.. But I'm very, VERY wrong.. I have no idea why I had such a misconception..

GIANT_CRAB explained to me some good information in PM as well. Pretty nice person. I kept thinking iptables can be used as a physical firewall system when it's under VPS's, but it cannot. (AFAIK). I have to rely on my upstream provider I think to stop the UDP.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

Check out x4b.net - you can use their ddos protected reverse proxies in front of your real server ip. Just make sure that you whitelist the ip adresses from those reverse proxies in your iptable rules because the proxies will handle all visitor requests.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • Dillybob said: Well darn... It's really that easy then to use up someone's bandwidth? Just download LOIC and do a UDP flood even if they are dropped via iptables?

It's really just simple math. If the attacker's upstream bandwidth is greater than the victim's downstream bandwidth, the only thing the victim can do to protect itself is to buy more downstream bandwidth.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
    edited June 2015

gsrdgrdghd said: It's really just simple math. If the attacker's upstream bandwidth is greater than the victim's downstream bandwidth, the only thing the victim can do to protect itself is to buy more downstream bandwidth.

Is it possible for an upstream provider to take requests to ban the ip at the physical layer's firewall upon request from the user (me)? For example if I am checking my live server and see this happening, I could send in a support ticket or something? Or is that the job of the network administrator's to check that stuff manually / periodically and take appropriate action? Or would they rather just null route me and be done with it?

Thanked by 1TheInvisibleOne
  • Dillybob said: Is it possible for an upstream provider to take requests to ban the ip at the physical layer's firewall upon request from the user (me)? For example if I am checking my live server and see this happening, I could send in a support ticket or something? Or is that the job of the network administrator's to check that stuff manually / periodically and take appropriate action? Or would they rather just null route me?

It's pointless. IP can be spoofed. DNS or NTP amplification is also another thing.

edited June 2015

GIANT_CRAB said: It's pointless. IP can be spoofed. DNS or NTP amplification is also another thing.

Awwww... Yeah. Alrighty, well I guess it's basically inevitable. Sit back and take in as much as you can and try to come out alive and use as much iptables (or w/e protection you can) and add as much layers of protection as your intelligence knows and hope to come out NOT null routed.. Haha. Fuck I just want to go back on localhost and code.. this is scary...

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@dillybob also this you might wanna read if you go with the reverse proxies

https://www.x4b.net/kb/RealIP

it would suck if you banned your proxy ip's instead of the real visitors!

edited June 2015

Sent you some retardly stupid questions via pm @Mark_R I don't want to be laughed at to much publicly. Thanks.

• @Dillybob said:
    Sent you some retardly stupid questions via pm Mark_R I don't want to be laughed at to much publicly. Thanks.

Always good to know more things and mistakes. We **DO** learn from it ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

Did you get permission from your ISP, the upstream providers, and ChicagoVPS to DOS attack their servers in violation of US federal law (applicable to their location, surely not explicitly legal in yours)?

edited June 2015

Nope and I can see your point but using it for several seconds just to educate myself on iptables is of invaluable information to me and definitely worth more than 75 cents! I've used less than 0.5% of bandwidth on this VPS and if I caused other clients to crash on the node.. well if the node cannot handle 2MB/s udp flooding for 3-7 seconds.. I don't know what to tell ya ^_^.

Although, if 2 officers arrive at my home tomorrow with a search warrant and I get to meet Chris Fabozzi in court..I'll be more than humbled. :D