Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best Photoshop alternative for Ubuntu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best Photoshop alternative for Ubuntu

RamiRami Member

One of my friends want to switch to Linux but he use Photoshop a lot in his work

What is the best alternative?

Comments

• edited June 2015

gimp.org/GIMP

Thanked by 1Rami
  • Photoshop through WINE?

Thanked by 1Rami
  • namhuynamhuy Member

gimp, or photoshop w/ wine, or photoshop w/ virtualbox

Thanked by 2Rami vladka24
  • MikeInMikeIn Member

GIMP | No other similar alternative known...

Thanked by 1Rami
  • RamiRami Member

Thanks a lot for everyone :)

• Rami said: One of my friends want to switch to Linux but he use Photoshop a lot in his work

Gimp is a piss poor replacement for photoshop. Tell your friend to stick to windows.

• @Abdussamad is spot on (been using photoshop for 16 years and I've tried everything else).

• I think Krita might still be active https://krita.org/

Thanked by 3netomx Rami desperand
  • souensouen Member

Depends on what he needs to do with it. Photo/image editing, graphic design/templating, illustration/painting ... ? Check the alternativeto list. Gimpshop and Cinepaint for overall features. Darktable for managing photos. Gimp Paint Studio and Krita for painting.

Gimp is fairly good for all of the above, but if he needs some Photoshop-specific features (or some plugin that for some reason only works properly in Photoshop), then Wine as the backup plan.

Thanked by 1Rami
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jaypeesmith said:
    I think Krita might still be active https://krita.org/

It is. I have just backed them up on kickstarter

Thanked by 1Rami
  • SadySady Member

@Abdussamad said:
    Gimp is a piss poor replacement for photoshop. Tell your friend to stick to windows.

+1, I also searched for PS the time I moved from W7 to Linux Mint & couldn't find anything so using PS under virtualbox.

• LV426LV426 Member

@Abdussamad said:

Windows is a piss poor replacement for Linux.

Thanked by 3Rami switsys isalem
  • RamiRami Member

@souen All he need is photo editing

Nothing so big

• Seems like it's one area why people have 'kept using Windows', the kind of program that hasn't a suitable replacement on Linux for the 'power user'.

Thanked by 1Rami
  • @ricardo said:
    Seems like it's one area why people have 'kept using Windows', the kind of program that hasn't a suitable replacement on Linux for the 'power user'.

In my experience, Windows just looks, feels and behaves nicer than any Linux distros do. Of course it's an entirely different ball game when it comes to a server OS

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • souensouen Member
    edited June 2015

@Rami Ah, okay, maybe start with Gimp in that case. There are tutorials out there to show him how to make the best of the app for photo editing. Darktable or similar are more for RAW manipulation.

Straying from "Photoshop alternative", for quick adjustments without firing up a big app, I like gThumb or Nomacs.

Thanked by 1Rami
  • @Rami said:
    souen All he need is photo editing

Nothing so big

I'd rather use pixlr.com than GIMP

• sadly gimp doesn't cut it for heavy graphic designers. as mentioned above, he can try Kirita but I strongly recommend he stay on windows.. (or get a mac)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

GIMP. :p

• Photoshop without Windows = Mac. I've been using Photoshop on a Mac for over 20 years, seems to work ok ;-)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

Some other suggestions for graphics software on Linux, besides GIMP and Krita:

• myPaint is worth mentioning if you're more focused on art (eg. drawing).
    • If you're looking for something like Lightroom, there's also darktable.
    • As an image viewer, nomacs seems pretty decent.
    • For vector illustrations, Inkscape is excellent.
    • Pinta is similar to Paint.NET.
    • Not open-source, but another photo editor that runs on Linux is Pixeluvo (costs $34 + VAT).
    • EDIT: gThumb is also excellent for basic photo post-processing tasks. Especially the rotation feature is really, really nice to use. Lets you trace a straight line in the picture, and then 'straightens' the entire image alongside that line. I use it a lot for post-processing CD scans.
    Thanked by 1Rami
  • Pixeluvo is a beautifully designed image and photo editor for PC and Linux.

Do you have a PC or Linux? :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

deadbeef said: Do you have a PC or Linux? :)

Damn, hadn't even noticed that. That has got to be the first time I see developers behind a non-Mac piece of software word it that way...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @hostnoob said:
    In my experience, Windows just looks, feels and behaves nicer than any Linux distros do. Of course it's an entirely different ball game when it comes to a server OS

This, I've tried a few different Linux distros and for desktop use I kept going back to windows or OSX,

It would probably help a lot of the hardware vendors would get their heads out their own backsides and actually provide decent drivers for their kit under different OS's or at least provide the proper specs and documentation needed to allow others to write a driver for their hardware.

The other problem with Linux is it's often not exactly user friendly it's gotten a LOT better in recent years but there are still a fair number of things that probably only make sense to the person who wrote it.

Then again Microsoft have a team of people who are paid to supposedly make things user friendly and to provide a consistent user experience and some of their recent efforts do leave you wondering what the hell are they smoking. The wireless network management in Windows 8 and newer seems to be a massive step backwards from the way it was done in 7.