Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows will get SSH support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• I hope this will integrated soon, even powershells Enter-PSession doesn't work quite good. :/

• ehabehab Member

they got it now.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Haven't used windows in a while but imagine this will make a lot of things much better like copying files using scp.

• I've never used MS-Windows, but I'm really pleased to see that it's catching up. Hopefully they'll have sshd as well so I can access people's machines in a practical manner.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • With SCP could be a good choice...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • wychwych Member

Sounds good, will be nice to see the end implementation of it.

• Finally. Now Windows Server is slightly more useful.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • Took them only few decades to figure that out.. Sigh

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Finally, I'd like to share some background on today’s announcement, because this is the 3rd time the PowerShell team has attempted to support SSH. The first attempts were during PowerShell V1 and V2 and were rejected. Given our changes in leadership and culture, we decided to give it another try and this time, because we are able to show the clear and compelling customer value, the company is very supportive.

hehehe

Thanked by 1vladka24
  • deadbeef said: Finally, I'd like to share some background on today’s announcement, because (snip)
    hehehe

Are you going "hehehe" because you didn't put any line breaks in that?

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2015

@Ole_Juul said:

Yeah, let me add it to my notes.

"When copying text from the original source, make sure to insert extra cr/lfs if the text is 4 and a half lines long, because some people are reading challenged."

Done.

• deadbeef said: some people are reading challenged.

And there's something wrong with that?

• @Ole_Juul said:
    And there's something wrong with that?

As long as they don't demand from me to solve their issue, none at all.

• LV426LV426 Member

deadbeef said: Yeah, let me add it to my notes.

"When copying text from the original source, make sure to insert extra cr/lfs if the text is 4 and a half lines long, because some people are reading challenged."

Done.

Here are some more notes for you:

"When quoting something, press the quote button, add the quote character (>) before the line/s to be quoted, or simply wrap the quote in quotation marks, rather than posting it as code for some inexplicable reason."

"In order to avoid looking like you can't even make a simple post correctly, click Preview before posting."

"After fucking up a simple post, edit your post to correct your mistake as a courtesy to other people."

"When your stupidly-quoted fuck-up of a post that you lazily did not bother to correct is pointed out to you, simply reply, "My bad, sorry", rather than trying to pretend your failings are someone else's problem."

HTH

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2015

@LV426 said:

This is an old note, automatically appears when your username shows up (Greasemonkey ftw):

When a poster goes full retard, don't bother reading past the first display of retardness.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2015

The only problem is... I'm scared that it will end up like some of their other flops (e.g. Cortana).

I'll stick with the good ol' fashioned Putty. After all, it wasn't coded by the lazy devs. at Microsoft.

• @doghouch said:
    After all, it wasn't coded by the lazy devs. at Microsoft.

You happen to know some of the devs there I presume?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2015

Nope - it was an insult to their poorly coded software.

@deadbeef

• @doghouch said:
    Nope - it was an insult to their poorly coded software.

:sigh:

Thanked by 3netomx Mark_R alexvolk
  • Well, you can't argue with Cortana. Doesn't even have the humor Siri has :x

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Ole_Juul said:
    I've never used MS-Windows, but I'm really pleased to see that it's catching up. Hopefully they'll have sshd as well so I can access people's machines in a practical manner.

Thats what Enter-PSSession is for to access remote (Windows) computers.

I like and welcome the update since it improves the automation process.

• mikho said: Thats what Enter-PSSession is for to access remote (Windows) computers.

Sounds good. So supposing I'm sitting next to a Windows machine having 192.168.1.100 address and I want to type something on it from my *NIX terminal. What would I type to log in - assuming I have a password, of course?

• smansman Member
    edited June 2015

So is this just going to be the ability to type in ssh commands in a powershell command console (ie. like PuTTy only not as good). Or something more like WinSCP file browsing using SFTP in addition to SSH console etc?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Ole_Juul said:
    Sounds good. So supposing I'm sitting next to a Windows machine having 192.168.1.100 address and I want to type something on it from my *NIX terminal. What would I type to log in - assuming I have a password, of course?

Is it Windows fault that Linux doesn't provide tools to connect to other operating systems? You can do it the other way around.

Either way; here is a link how you can solve it.

http://hindenes.com/trondsworking/2012/05/17/run-powershell-through-ssh/

• mikho said: s it Windows fault that Linux doesn't provide tools to connect to other operating systems? You can do it the other way around.
    Either way; here is a link how you can solve it.
    http://hindenes.com/trondsworking/2012/05/17/run-powershell-through-ssh/

I'm not generally running Linux, but I get your point. :) Thanks for the link. I don't think I should go installing stuff on other people's machine though. Around here I use SSH and FTP for connecting stuff and even my DOS (6.22) box can to that, so was just thinking of visitors with Windows laptops.