Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPV6 Query
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPV6 Query

eastoncheastonch Member
edited October 2012 in General

So...

I have this strange question, please don't judge me for my stupidity, I'm slightly intoxicated.

Some users are bashing IPV6 for how long and annoying it is; for example: "fe80::200:f8ff:fe21:67cf"

But isnt is possible to link a domain up? Like... idk.. "ipv6.chriseaston.info" or.. "vps.lowendbox.com"; so that any reference to your server; you just type the hostname, rather than the long IPV6 address? Saving loads of time remembering a mix of numbers and letters?

I'm most likely being stupid here... But somebody confirm this for me. And also; when will the UK (in your eyes) fully support this? My Router doesnt support it, nor does anything my ISP offers does. (annoying, i know, since I have to use a VPS for IPV6 support or function in any environment).

Thanks!

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Yes - it's called AAAA record (and A is for IPv4)

• And it works the exact same way as A for IPV4?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

yop, it's designed for IPv6

try nslookup --type=AAAA ipv6.google.com

• yes, we just need to change/add an AAAA record in DNS,
    Like an example :

AAAA us.simpen.in  2607:f130::1b:0:0:0:2 

Just do some ping6 to the us.simpen.in, and we can reach the IPv6 :)

• Or do what FaceBook does and get an IP that has your name in it: 2a03:2880:2050:1f01:face:b00c::