Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Download .COM WHOIS data
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Download .COM WHOIS data

Is there any place where I can download WHOIS data for all .COM domains for free/ cheap?

Comments

• I can't think of a legitimate usage for this

• Verisign zone files.

• https://www.whoisxmlapi.com/whois-database-download.php

Cheap is a subjective term. But if that's cheap for you, PM me as I can code a solution for fetching this data in a cheap way as well.

• getvpsgetvps Member

Verisign have complete database of .com/.org/.net/.. (but only for registars) i founded old one on internet (from ~2012) and with little skill(and some ips) you can get whois of sites. Little suggestion.. i guess you try to get expired domains, but good domains are already owned, and if you try to get domain at one second expired time.. miss this too.. you cant register so fast like 'strong' company/people.. and finally the sugestion.. is if you try to get good expired domains try where expiry date is not available for public :D (to detect this .. mass-dns checks can be first thing). I write this because i fail too with .COM ..

• @plumberg said:
    Is there any place where I can download WHOIS data for all .COM domains for free/ cheap?

I can't think of a legitimate usage for this <--- I agree with that statement
    As I don't think there is any legitimate usage for downloading any/all of the .com whois data.

As I can only see this being used for illegal purposes(eg not for anything legal as no one needs a whole whois database to do anything legal.)

• @Spencer said:
    I can't think of a legitimate usage for this

Marketing mails?

• DalComp said: Marketing mails?

There are indeed some unsavoury marketing types using WHOIS data. I just registered a .org and right after I got it, and before I've put anything online, I got a sales pitch aimed at that domain. Pretty sleazy.

• Without the unsavoury marketing types the Internet wouldn't have evolved as far as it has. I wouldn't cast marketing in an entirely bad light.

@getvps' suggestion of using the list for expired domains is a good one. They'd also be a good seed list for a search engine. This kind of list is also good for trademark protection, ala MarkMonitor.

There are lots of decent reasons for having such data, you just have to use your imagination.

• To all critics saying there is no legitimate use of whole whois data... I would like to differ. I am not interested in spamming domain owners. I am not interested in fetching the next best names...

I already have access to verisign zone files.

I have a small plan in mind...

I just feel that someone already has this data available and it makes more sense to start by taking that and starting from there rather than doing an automated whois which will probably get me banned from whois servers.

Thanks.

• BruceBruce Member

whois isn't there for people to scan. if you have a legitimate use, tell us here. if you don't/won't, then I suspect it's not legitimate.

you might have something in mind that isn't commercial or marketing/spam, but that still doesn't mean it is legitimate.

share your plan, or else accept that others will judge you as guilty

Thanked by 1timnboys
  • I need this data for purely research and analysis.

• plumberg said: doing an automated whois which will probably get me banned from whois servers.

Why do you think they would do that? After all, you have a legitimate reason - right?

• @Ole_Juul said:

Sometimes my query rates will get me banneed. I need to slow down

• plumberg said: Sometimes my query rates will get me banneed. I need to slow down

You know that I knew that, I hope. Now what about my question? ;)

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited June 2015

How much are you willing to pay, and do you need the registrants details? .COM and the Verisign WHOIS server don't return registrants details.

• If you are going to "provide a clear benefit to the broader networking community", ARIN will provide you with bulk whois data. https://www.arin.net/resources/request/bulkwhois.html

• @NodePing said:
    If you are going to "provide a clear benefit to the broader networking community", ARIN will provide you with bulk whois data. https://www.arin.net/resources/request/bulkwhois.html

Thanks. I will explore this option.

• @Bruce said:
    whois isn't there for people to scan. if you have a legitimate use, tell us here. if you don't/won't, then I suspect it's not legitimate.

you might have something in mind that isn't commercial or marketing/spam, but that still doesn't mean it is legitimate.

share your plan, or else accept that others will judge you as guilty

Agreed!