Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expiring SoYouStart Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Expiring SoYouStart Server

So my SoYouStart Server is expiring today. Should I renew it?

I went with a server in the US that was not getting 50% packet loss on a route to me..........lol

went with AlniTech With the new server. Got one of their recurring discounts.

With the France SYS server the ping was high(packet loss galore) but fantastic 1gbit line basically for errrrr.........file purposes. Streaming plex from it really sucked despite being able to saturate my home connection of 75Mbps. Packet loss probably contributing to this.

I paid off the setup fee which is what has me split. IDK if I can justify having it anymore though.. at 42USD a month(35Euro).

What does everyone think.

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Throwing good money after bad is never a sensible solution.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2015

cmsjr123 said: What does everyone think.

Get a less crappier ISP locally. Any ISP here would instantly have crowds with pitchforks at their doors, if they'd allow themselves to have 50% packet loss to major European hosts such as OVH.

• edited June 2015

@rm_ said:
    Get a less crappier ISP locally. Any ISP here would instantly have crowds with pitchforks at their doors, if they'd allow themselves to have 50% packet loss to major European hosts such as OVH.

Sorry the Packet loss was in London not in the US. To be honest im not sure who is to blame at this point. But Im leaning towards it probably isn't my ISP. MY ISP is charter and NO other option. When I mean none I do mean none. NO DSL, no DIALUP, NO verizon, no TWC, no Comcast, No fiber, no custome run fiber, etc. Charter is the ONLY one ho runs anything to my area.

Also Happens to my Universities network as well. Same Switch/location in the UK/London. This network is the Federal School Fiber network ring crap they got going on.

• cmsjr123 said: Sorry the Packet loss was in London not in the US. To be honest im not sure who is to blame at this point. But Im leaning towards it probably isn't my ISP. MY ISP is charter and NO other option. When I mean none I do mean none. NO DSL, no DIALUP, NO verizon, no TWC, no Comcast, No fiber, no custome run fiber, etc. Charter is the ONLY one ho runs anything to my area.

Heh, similar situation here. I can ONLY have Comcast. No dialup, no satellite, no cell service, nearest DSL customer is a block away. Local long-distance wireless company has an obstructed view.

• @Rallias said:
    Heh, similar situation here. I can ONLY have Comcast. No dialup, no satellite, no cell service, nearest DSL customer is a block away. Local long-distance wireless company has an obstructed view.

Yep. The life sucks here but its decent with basically a 75Mbps connection. I don't get the issues to any other service though so....Was decent when uploading to Onedrive though.

• probably DDoS coming out from the UK, only had packet loss there

• If you are having issues connecting maybe just get rid of the server. Why pay for a server that you may keep having connection issues with?

• @SoaringServers said:
    If you are having issues connecting maybe just get rid of the server. Why pay for a server that you may keep having connection issues with?

There are no issues connecting to it or saturating my home connection. It's just streaming and is basically a seedbox for..Linux ISO s

• @cmsjr123 said:
    There are no issues connecting to it or saturating my home connection. It's just streaming and is basically a seedbox for..Linux ISO s

Then you should keep it man. I noticed that the soyoustart servers are hard to get sometimes.