Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could you suggest popular VPS brands? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Could you suggest popular VPS brands?

2»

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

rds100 said: Do you really need popular, or do you need reliable? I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy anything if your job is on the line.

Thank you. I was just thinking the popular brands/giant companies has many staff for support

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited June 2015

@jcaleb said:
    Thank you. I was just thinking the popular brands/giant companies has many staff for support

Possibly, but that doesn't mean they will be useful at all. You definitely do not want GoDaddy or HostGator.

Many of the companies I and others have mentioned were due to being extremely reliable. You rarely, if ever, should need to contact support.

If you really feel better having a managed VPS where you can get help with configuring the server I'd get WiredTree (but only if this server is primarily to be used for web hosting, that seems to be their focus). I have used both KH and WiredTree years ago before I learned to do things on my own and prefer WT. My only big complaint is they do not like to reinstall your VPS if you want a fresh start.

If you can afford a steadfast dedi it is a great option too which will have much better support than some of the other companies recommended here. You can negotiate pricing with them to bring it down a little.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@jcaleb said:

If you need someone to pick up the phone anytime day or night, then I whole-heartedly recommend Rackspace.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • J1021J1021 Member

What locations are you looking for @jcaleb ?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

kcaj said: What locations are you looking for @jcaleb ?

US or any mainstream location.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Go with RackSpace / LiquidWeb or WiredTree. Heard good things about all of them and used them at some point of time.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I do not recommend GoDaddy or Hostgator at all. You have many choices to choose from.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • georgegeorge Member

@Lee said:
    from the list of those suggested ask yourself this. Which of them will pick up the phone, whatever timezone/time of day and deal with any issues you have?

It's not always about what they provide but how they support it

What's your recommendation then? :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • LeeLee Veteran

@george - I would never make a recommendation when someone has stated their job may rely on it.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • georgegeorge Member
    edited June 2015

@Lee said:
    george - I would never make a recommendation when someone has stated their job may rely on it.

It's a purely just a recommendation, not his final decision.

Edit: I get your point though.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Lee said:
    george - I would never make a recommendation when someone has stated their job may rely on it.

To be fair, anyone who recommends a service to their boss on the say so of someone on the Internet without doing their own investigation deserves the tin tack.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

I still don't understand, like some people said earlier, you implied you want very high reliability and are willing to pay, why don't you want dedicated server?

Anyway I know some people using SoftLayer and it works pretty well with good support. AWS/Google Compute/etc. have fixed upper bound on cost if you have fixed bandwidth usage.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • icryicry Member
    edited June 2015

I use RunAbove and their Performance is Rock Solid

See the loading speed: http://www.99blogger.com/ Only HHVM no Caching

BTW. I use SBG France DataCenter :)

Ubuntu-Nginx-HHVM-Pagespeed Configuration :)

Thanked by 2jcaleb dlaxotn2
  • DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2015

Sounds like what you really need is a dedicated server with redundant storage, off-site backups and an excellent network. Why not install the virtualization yourself if you want a vps. At least that way you'll know that node issues/bad neighbours won't create problems for the company. If you have ilo and a control panel to reinstall, operating a dedicated server isn't harder than a vps.

On the other hand, if it's just a recommendation, you won't be in charge of administering it, and the IT guy doesn't want to manage a dedicated, my vote goes for Linode. Good reliability and support. I know that some very famous services use Rackspace too, and have had zero downtime.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • iwStack

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • NickWNickW Member

If you're fine with an unmanaged solution, I'd strongly recommend Linode.

However, you should always think about how your project would cope with failure of various key parts and how you could minimize/mitigate the effect of such a failure.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • LinuxGeek9943LinuxGeek9943 Member
    edited June 2015

If you're looking for managed VPS hosting, you won't find anyone better than WiredTree. They take support seriously and are there 24/7 to fix any problems. I would trust my job on how they do theirs.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Linode. Only went down 40 mins ( up and down ) after a big ddos. Self experience. Support was prompt and honest.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

RACKSPACE

Thanked by 1jcaleb