Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr 8GB or Hetzner PX60-SSD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr 8GB or Hetzner PX60-SSD?

In terms of money they are equal. But which one is better?

• Vultr's instance network speed 1gbps? Hetzner's is 200mbps?

Comments

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hetzner's Network isn't 200 mbps, it's burstable to 1 Gbit/s. I get nearly 85 MB/s Speed while downloading. And Vultr's one is also shared so in Network Speed term both are same. Compare the other facts & points.

• heihachi88heihachi88 Member
    edited May 2015

Vultr's support just told me that they have 10GBPS for each node host and shared between all instances on the same node.

So generally their's DC doesn't suck? Hetzner's config is 3x times better than a vultr's one.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

Performance wise for specific applications, a dedicated server such as Hetzner PX60-SSD may be more suitable.

If you are looking for a pay per hour solution and dynamic, Vultr can be useful. Personally I would go for the dedicated server.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2015

Are you even f-ing serious. Comparing some crappy VPS to a full blown powerful dedicated server? Not to mention even considering to pay $64/month for a VPS. Of course get the dedi. However you should check out http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/serveurs-essential/ which may be 1.5-2x cheaper than Hetzner for similar specs.

• Online.net offer bigger dual-SSD.

• trvztrvz Member

I'm with @rm_ that at this price point a decent dedicated server will have much better specs than a virtual one.

However, you'll have to monitor hardware health yourself, and Vultr has much easier backups, snapshots, reinstalls. The new Vultr hosts have multiple 10 Gbps connections, and you get to use full 10 Gbps at any time you want (you can test it partly with speedtest.tele2.net), and of course Vultr's network is much better than Hetzner's. Dedicated servers will be cheaper if you need RAM, but you'll lose the scalability and hourly billing of virtualization.

Lastly, as my dear friend Dave says, you get what you pay for. There's a reason why those Hetzner/OVH/Online.net servers are cheaper, and it's not advertised beforehand.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Hetzner

not only that, vultr have swapped to very slow crappy E5 cpu's which offer terrible performance.

• trvztrvz Member
    edited May 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    not only that, vultr have swapped to very slow crappy E5 cpu's which offer terrible performance.

I think @TarZZ92 got Vultr mixed up with Digital Ocean. DO's new location, Frankfurt, has the E5-2630L v3 CPUs, which are substantially downclocked in order to save energy. I agree, this is a weird choice for a VPS platform.

Vultr has got the regular version, E5-2630 v3, which is a nicely performing, modern CPU.

• ricardoricardo Member

Weird, rm_'s logic is 100% spot on, but wasn't the 'cloud' & shared resources supposed to better utilise hardware & theoretically make it cheaper? Just a general point about VPS/dedi rather than the specific case (but fwiw, I'd go dedicated every time).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2015

trvz said: got Vultr mixed up with Digital Ocean.

Vultr too, recently got a lot of flak for deploying much slower CPUs than before, without any notice.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

trvz said: I think @TarZZ92 got Vultr mixed up with Digital Ocean

Nope. both have crappy E5 cpu's the per core performance on them is crap. this is why i no longer recommend vultr, and never have supported DO. E5's are only good if you have access to all cores but even them single thread tasks are very weak

they are probably very similiar to AMD's bulldozer (single thread)

Thanked by 1BensDaMan
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@heihachi88 Why not get it from Auction ?? The only problem is IPv4. You can't get much.

• yhuzayhuza Member

hetnerz :) recomended real dedicated and network

• NavynNavyn Member

+1 for hetzner

• Just think about this: on Vultr you use 100% CPU for 12 hours then you will get suspended. On a dedicated, you can use 100% anytime you want without worrying.

• trvztrvz Member

@khuongcomputer said:
    Just think about this: on Vultr you use 100% CPU for 12 hours then you will get suspended. On a dedicated, you can use 100% anytime you want without worrying.

That's false. You can use the CPU at Vultr as much as you want - I certainly do.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

@trvz said:
    That's false. You can use the CPU at Vultr as much as you want - I certainly do.

That's a dice roll, not an advertising point. No one sells shared VPS cores and lets everyone use 100% of them 100% of the time. You can because no one else is, for now, but that could change any minute...or next year, who knows. The only thing you can know is that the cores are never dedicated unless specified.

• Hetzner's hardware is twice powerful than Vultr's 8gb instance, but drupal 6 seems to work faster on a Vultr than on Hetzner. What's wrong? Worse network performance?

• @Jar said:
    That's a dice roll, not an advertising point. No one sells shared VPS cores and let's everyone use 100% of them 100% of the time. You can because no one else is, for now, but that could change any minute...or next year, who knows. The only thing you can know is that the cores are never dedicated unless specified.

NFOservers would like a word :-P.

• trvztrvz Member

@heihachi88 said:
    Hetzner's hardware is twice powerful than Vultr's 8gb instance, but drupal 6 seems to work faster on a Vultr than on Hetzner. What's wrong? Worse network performance?

Did you try the same software setup at both places? You might want to try some Drupal benchmarking for comparable numbers and to find the bottleneck at Hetzner.

Keep in mind, the Vultr host servers are better equipped than your Hetzner server. And yes, the network might make a difference: Vultr has a good one, while Hetzner's is moderate at best.

• trvz said: That's false. You can use the CPU at Vultr as much as you want - I certainly do.

Not even on cloud you're allowed to use 100% CPU at all time. You're sharing those horse power with likely ~10 other people, if you're not suspended then it's not 100% I guess.

heihachi88 said: Hetzner's hardware is twice powerful than Vultr's 8gb instance, but drupal 6 seems to work faster on a Vultr than on Hetzner. What's wrong? Worse network performance?

Maybe the HDD affect this. You can make a cache folder on ram move the cache onto this folder to see if it speeds up the site. And turn on OP cache will help.

• getvpsgetvps Member

I use on one 1G Vultr , " 50% CPU / 300 active connections / 20-30GB Band " all time,and everything is fine :)

• zevuszevus Member

Here's a Hetzner burst for you:

(http://nogleg.com/dstat.png or http://nogleg.com/dstat2.png)

(was going to add dstat as an image, but too spammy)

Yeah, it 'guarantees' 200Mbps.

I've seen it sustain over 100MB/s upstream for 5+ minutes (scared shitless the whole time that I was about to get my machine suspended).... lol, that was three or so years ago though, so dunno if that still stands.

Though it's a fact that it can easily hit 75MB/s + on downstream and upstream bursts.

... and I've never had any issues with Hetzner's network, outside of a few periods of packetloss last year.