Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switching from Linode - suggestions? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Switching from Linode - suggestions?

13»

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited October 2012

@miTgiB said: What 1gb KVM LEB priced offers haven't deadpooled? Has anyone done it yet? It's a hard price point still.

I have prometeus and Liquid Host. Both 1GB KVM. I guess they offered this for limited promotion, not as regular product.

• @unriptr said: Also, Nick said that they don't oversell on OpenVZ and I like to trust people, so if that's the case, I can save even more money. Are there downsides to OpenVZ, besides no Windows support (which I could care less about)?

Please don't use OVZ for your Tomcat, solr, or other java stuff. If you really insist, use very high ram like 2GB. And perhaps try it out first if all your stuff will work there.

• @rds100 we have offered $7/mo. 1GB KVM VPS servers as a promotion, but in no way, shape or form did it bring in any money, and if anything, it actually costs us money to provide it - @miTgiB and @jhadley are right as well, it is an unrealistic price point. Offering it as a promotion is one thing, you take money from the advertising budget to cover the expenses, but no one should offer it on a regular basis, unless they can figure out a magic formula by which their nodes cost next to nothing.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

we sold a few 1G KVM at leb price (for quarterly payments) as a promotional sale since I had some free ram on the E5 64GB KVM nodes.

At present the lower price for a KVM 1GB RAM is 8€/month to be profitable with the kind of hardware we use. When I go lower than that is for marketing reason and since we don't have to pay extra at present to colo low end vps since we have racks paid from other contract and some unused space / power / bandwidth, 1GB KVM at 5.5€/mo is not a real loss but an opportunity to gain more clients.

• @jcaleb Thanks for your insights. I'm quite positive I'll go with KVM. Can you tell me what the downside of OVZ vis-a-vis Tomcat is? High memory usage by default? Can't you change the configs? Thanks!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jcaleb said: Please don't use OVZ for your Tomcat, solr, or other java stuff. If you really insist, use very high ram like 2GB. And perhaps try it out first if all your stuff will work there.

Even with vswap?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2012

@jarland said: Even with vswap?

The vswap kernel series doesn't have brain-damaged RAM allocation like the burstram series did/does; it should be fine. IPXcore has several customers running Tomcat on a 256 or 512mb vswap OVZ container with no issues. I don't know how resource-intensive their Java apps are, though.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jarland said: Even with vswap?

Yes. I have same tomcat and same java application, and run them both on ChicagoVPS (.18) and Prometeus (vswap) and both are eating 700-800mb. whereas in KVM it only eats 350mb max 400mb.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @unriptr said: @jcaleb Thanks for your insights. I'm quite positive I'll go with KVM. Can you tell me what the downside of OVZ vis-a-vis Tomcat is? High memory usage by default? Can't you change the configs? Thanks!

Memory consumption is so hard to guess in OVZ, on what is enough. Just avoiding unexpected things.

• @prometeus Not all of us know the difference between euros and dollars. Perhaps you should convert to dollars right away. ie $7 and $10 +VAT for us unfortunate Europeans

• You can google something like "5.5 eur in usd" and it will convert it for you.

• @rchurch said: @prometeus Not all of us know the difference between euros and dollars. Perhaps you should convert to dollars right away. ie $7 and $10 +VAT for us unfortunate Europeans

When you go to their website, their USD prices are cheaper I think that Euro and then convert..

• @rchurch @prometeus bills in Euros

• @craigb said: @rchurch @prometeus bills in Euros

Yes, in Euro and Dollars:)

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @erawanarifnugroho ah, must have missed that on the website (only saw euros and I get billed in euros too). Thanks for correcting :)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Hi, is upgrading from a 1024 KVM ramnode to a larger ramnode difficult? I would like to sign up tonight but I need to know the upgrade path so I know which one to go with. Thanks!

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@unriptr said: Hi, is upgrading from a 1024 KVM ramnode to a larger ramnode difficult? I would like to sign up tonight but I need to know the upgrade path so I know which one to go with. Thanks!

Nope, not difficult. You just have to resize the disk partitions for the extra space on an upgrade.

• @jcaleb said: Yes. I have same tomcat and same java application, and run them both on ChicagoVPS (.18) and Prometeus (vswap) and both are eating 700-800mb. whereas in KVM it only eats 350mb max 400mb.

Prometeus doesn't have a lot of VSwap allocated. That's why.

• Big fan of PrismaVPS. Smaller and newer outfit. Big plans, small prices.

Any and all VPSes can and will be oversold. Getting dedicated resources is voodoo talk. That's what dedicated servers are for or total quarter servers at bigger prices.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb said: Yes. I have same tomcat and same java application, and run them both on ChicagoVPS (.18) and Prometeus (vswap) and both are eating 700-800mb. whereas in KVM it only eats 350mb max 400mb.

If it was with the VZ11 plan, then it's possible since it has 0 vswap by default.

@rchurch said: @prometeus Not all of us know the difference between euros and dollars. Perhaps you should convert to dollars right away. ie $7 and $10 +VAT for us unfortunate Europeans

prices are set in both currencies with a fixed exchange rate. You can switch currency before registering :-)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Tomcat might have a problem in OVZ without 2 cores at least. I do not know why that happens, but it does. The errors thrown out are cryptic enough to make us scratch our heads, java on OVZ works, but there are some problems and when you run into them it is hard to debug.
    M

• @Maounique said: Tomcat might have a problem in OVZ without 2 cores at least. I do not know why that happens, but it does. The errors thrown out are cryptic enough to make us scratch our heads, java on OVZ works, but there are some problems and when you run into them it is hard to debug.

There's a bug on OpenVZ with CPU count. The JVM thinks there are at least 2 CPUs and will try to use it, but it doesn't and there's some dead lock - mainly to do with garbage collection.

• I ended up going with ramnode's SSD cached OpenVZ plan. It's not as polished as Linode, but after getting the actual OS installed, I have no complaints!

• @unriptr said: I ended up going with ramnode's SSD cached OpenVZ plan. It's not as polished as Linode, but after getting the actual OS installed, I have no complaints!

What do you mean with 'not as polished'? The panel or something else?