Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware: Hola VPN turns your PC into an exit node and sells your traffic - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beware: Hola VPN turns your PC into an exit node and sells your traffic

Comments

• PwnerPwner Member

@perennate said:
    Here's another example, I'm much more careful with sharing my personal data with Russian company than with U.S. company.

Looking forward to testing it out now. ;-)

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

elwebmaster said: let's keep the antisemitism out of LET

lets keep to facts, anti-semitism is a hatred of jews, not israel. some of the most well known anti israel critics are infact jews.

it's a common tactic among hasbara people to slam the arguement of "anti semitism"

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Pwner said: You're so anti-Semitic, it's just pathetic at this point. What does being an Israeli company have anything to do with the service it offers?

another zionist idiot.

perhaps before you smear people you should lookup the actual facts.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

Pwner said: Israel and North Korea are two completely different cases.

nope they aint

both ignore international laws, and un rulings, and both have illegal nuclear programs, both have massive amounts of torture, both are not democracies, but (in "israels case a theocracy) not to forget illegal settlements (which you appear to support) with your beloved israel

israel is about as democratic as qatar

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Back on topic, i seem to recall another "israeli" company that was doing something similiar and another using spyware.

• ricardoricardo Member

I'd be grateful if people could keep their politics out of non-political threads, I for one stranger am not interested.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

ricardo said: I'd be grateful if people could keep their politics out of non-political threads, I for one stranger am not interested.

not really politics, as my previous reply said israeli companies are known for their spyware/adware and other things (proven true by this thread).

• ricardoricardo Member

both ignore international laws, and un rulings, and both have illegal nuclear programs, both have massive amounts of torture, both are not democracies, but (in "israels case a theocracy) not to forget illegal settlements (which you appear to support) with your beloved israel

This is politics. Don't insult anyone's intelligence. Mods should remove that kind of thing.

Thanked by 2MikePT Pwner
  • TarZZ92 said: as my previous reply said israeli companies are known for their spyware/adware and other things (proven true by this thread).

To be fair this thread doesn't proove anything other than Hola using users as exit nodes.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • HostNunHostNun Member

@ricardo said:
    I'd be grateful if people could keep their politics out of non-political threads, I for one stranger am not interested.

I agree, although VPN that turn connections into exit nodes and sell traffic without the user's knowledge/consent is certainly a political issue.

Then again, it seems to have been clearly disclosed in the FAQ all along? Or was that only added recently?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2015

certainly a political issue.

The way I see it, as businesses we're all in a playing field that either operate within the laws of the land, or not. That's not political.

Their FAQ was recently changed. They're obviously coy about it but I believe it's all above board from their POV.

• HostNunHostNun Member

Maybe not 'certainly' and more so 'could be depending on how its perceived'.

• ricardoricardo Member

Yeah, we can be armchair politicians and armchair police but we're essentially end-users, or maybe even commentators in the industry. I don't see how it's hard to differentiate.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited May 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

Perhaps you should stop hating Israeli technology so much. If that's really how you feel, then go ahead and chuck out your computer. Intel and AMD develop their processors in Israel, completely biased and rude with no factual backing.

• HostNunHostNun Member

@ricardo said:
    Yeah, we can be armchair politicians and armchair police...

Or none of the above, thankfully. Anyway, it isn't very difficult to put political spin on anything at all. Obviously this can be perceived as politicized to the extent that certain people may not want their devices being used to facilitate traffic for XYZ because [INSERT CAN OF WORMS], especially when they didn't even know it had been happening all along, and so on and so forth.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Pwner said: Perhaps you should stop hating Israeli technology so much. If that's really how you feel, then go ahead and chuck out your computer. Intel and AMD develop their processors in Israel, completely biased and rude with no factual backing.

AMD are not in israel,

Intel are, however it's a certain line and not all. (once again you are also using the hasbara talking lines) maybe you should stop slutting for netanyahu

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

How about you all stop talking about country/politics and keep to the topic?

• It's important to be human! When you try to accuse other people/nations/countries you are simply showing how LOW your view of the life (simply don't be an animal).

Thanked by 1yomero
  • HostNunHostNun Member
    edited May 2015

@mikho said:
    How about you all stop talking about country/politics and keep to the topic?

I suggested it could get political (not that it should) considering what a VPN is/does, which would not be straying from the topic at all.

hahahah

ruh roh...

Table of Contents

>

1. They allow for you to be tracked across the internet, no matter what you do
    2. They send traffic of strangers through your internet connection
    3. They sell access to third parties, and don't care what it's used for
    4. They let anybody execute programs on your computer
    5. They're trying to rewrite history
      So, what should I do?
      So, what should I use instead?
      Why did you publish this?
      Who are behind this site?
  • nitro85nitro85 Member

WTH is that crazy exploit at topic 4 o.O

Thanked by 1Nickk
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited May 2015

Why would anyone use this over Tor other than to have a residential IP/connection? I wonder how well their claimed features such as "Anonymous Browsing" and "enc-rypting all of your traffic" work considering the closed nature of the software...

It does look like the Chrome app has been removed!

Thanked by 1sipe
  • Why does cloudflare not allow the word "encrypting" in replies or edits? "Sorry, you have been blocked".

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nice one @joepie91

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

linuxthefish said: Why would anyone use this over Tor other than to have a residential IP/connection? I wonder how well their claimed features such as "Anonymous Browsing" and "enc-rypting all of your traffic" work considering the closed nature of the software...

It does look like the Chrome app has been removed!

To circumvent geoblocked media, mostly. Tor is generally considered too slow for that.

Also, the Chrome app is here. Not that I'd advocate installing that, of course ;)

Thanks, but I really only did the website and writing stuff - the credit for most of the research goes to the rest of the team :)

Thanked by 2netomx TheHackBox
  • bohdansbohdans Member

Hmm, interesting, even though the plugin was disabled, it still detected as an exit node,

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@bohdans said:
    Hmm, interesting, even though the plugin was disabled, it still detected as an exit node,

Depending on your browser and OS, "disabling" the plugin may not actually disable the separate process that runs in the background. That makes you still at least theoretically vulnerable, and it's likely that you were also still proxying traffic.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • bohdansbohdans Member

@joepie91 the plugin was in Chrome, but I use firefox for day-to-day browsing, only use Chrome for Chromecast/hola so its never open on my machine usually.

• So how much do they charge for the commercial service, does anybody know? Also, in the free version can you just the country of your exit node? I think it is an interesting idea. We all have an IP and want to access stuff with residential IP from another location, why not just exchange our traffic? Sometimes we don't care as much about the strong encryption of Tor, but need high throughput instead.

• If you simply want to get around geo-restrictions, there are many other services that offer similar functionality to Hola, but safely. We do not make any particular recommendations.

Yeah? How much does a VPN in the Philippines come out to? How about if you need 100s of IPs for research purpose (for example crawling pages, which block you after certain number of requests)? Everybody is treating this startup and truly innovative technology as if they are somehow bigger than Lenovo or Microsoft and should have no bugs or no quirks in their software. Well, guess what, Windows has had a ton of bugs that can be used for remote code execution. And the unique tracking id? That can already be done in javascript on ANY browser by exploiting the unique screen dimensions and configuration. Letting other people use your connection? Isn't that what Tor relies on to function? Yet you recommend people use Tor instead? Granted, you can use Tor without being an exit node, but if everybody did that there would be no Tor.

Thanked by 2nitro85 robohost