Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone had recent experience with Voxility / Limehost?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone had recent experience with Voxility / Limehost?

OrcwormOrcworm Member
edited October 2012 in General

Some of their options seem a little farfetched (Anti-DDOS for 15 euro / month?) but there's not really much info on them apart from the odd WHT thread. Currently getting hammered with floods over at Hetzner so I'm looking for a more permanent solution to it than hiding behind proxies.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

From what I know (I am hosted there but do not use ddos protection), they have 12 gbps flood max capacity and it may start to fail at around 80 k pps which is little. That is not direct experience, I tell you what i heard. They had plans to upgrade it, dunno if managed yet.
    M

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Not really good for DDoS protection, however I've worked with them before.. They are extremely friendly, or atleast the girl that was managing my account was. Also, I've recentely sent some quote requests and had a large email from them, regarding my needs. One of the best formed offers that I've seen, and it was not something templated, they've goen through each line of my emaila nd even included extra usefull information (transits and etc.), which made me really good impression.

I know that they were trying to move to a new DC with much better protection in the past, not sure if they have done it. In my experience the fortinet craps out at around 100k pps, which is next to nothing. However they can filter fairly large UDP floods. ACK and SSYN, if it is well sent will most likely boot you offline, however if you are getting hit by 10gbps of UDP, they will tank it.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2012

@eastonch Interesting find there, ranked 6th now on the SiteVet

http://sitevet.com/hosts/
    http://sitevet.com/db/asn/AS39743

Seems like they target hackers and spammers as primary clients

@Liam said: I wouldn't trust that. Ranks Hostdime and Leaseweb near by which are good hosts.

Limehost are indeed a home of much illegal content, due the DDoS filtering.. Kids like to DDoS eachother, so it attracts many of them. However they are good host as well, I've personally sent abuse reports and it has been taken care of in timely manner of 48 hours, also while I had a server with them, I was getting really nice network speeds (for the price), fast support answers (Not much experience with that, as I never had real problems) and generally really good service for the price. Of course - no blacklisted subnets.

Thanked by 1Spencer

@Liam said: Exactly. Would it be fair to say that Limehost are quite liberal but deal with anyone who break the rules?

Well, I can not say for sure.. However in my experience they did take care of the abuser in really timely manner. Seeing how they rank on that site I'd say they are liberal as well... However to be absolutely honest - if they provide a good service, reliable one and the illegal activity on the floor bellow my server do not affect me, I do not care that much.

I only had a server with themf or 1-2 months, maybe someone with more experience will jump in and review them, however I still remember Carmen answering my emails at 2AM (we are in the same timezone), giving good and helpfull answers, things that make good first impression.

edited October 2012

VERY liberal: https://www.torservers.net/wiki/hoster/experience
    Some of the highest traffic exit servers are in voxility's DC.
    I also get good speeds and had previous experience around 2003 when they were dealing in voip (hence the name voxility). I must admit it was a good and cheap service but they didnt manage to make all the faxes in the world work and, since, at that time, faxing was an everyday sport, it was a deal-breaker. We went with GTS in the end.
    M

• JTRJTR Member

Huh, I didn't expect to see you here.

How big are the attacks? Have you tried JavaPipe yet? What about OVH - I heard they ratelimit UDP to 200Mbps (although I'm not sure if that's incoming or outgoing)? Have you considered a US provider such as Awknet or Staminus?

• Haha, been here quite a while, just never really posted much. Tried JavaPipe last month which worked well but it seems they're reselling Voxility - so was thinking I might as well just go direct and take one of their servers while I'm at it.

@Jack said: You do know that Mr Burn from Malwarebytes has listed ALL there IPs on MB's Protection Service?

Hopefully few ppl use that, MB is good for scanning and finding malware tho are better products for free, I would not understand someone that would use it for malware protection.
    M

edited October 2012

I was there and the DC is not really what you would expect, the AC was not completed, there were empty AC cabinets, very hot inside (well, were 40 degrees outside too), at entrance was a big chiller put in the door, maybe things got better and certainly the weather is not so hot anymore, but the first impression was not great.
    They are a very dedicated team, tho, my rails were not really fitting, but they run around a bit and we found some screws and fit them somehow, the guy that came with me, tho very low rank was insisting to set the IPs for me (couldnt tell them on phone so I can come with the server set) and hooked imediatelly terminal to it, I got lost in the building and they came to unlock blocked doors to get me out, was quite an adventure :P
    I see potential there, a bold host that moves fast at good prices and offering non-intrusive hosting while acting on abuse reports too.
    None of my IPs were blacklisted and they have this report for their ASN39743:

NOT LISTED
    14 (0.049 %)
    Not available
    14 out of almost 30 k is impressive with under 200 hits in the last 7 days.
    Far from a spamer heaven.
    M

Thanked by 1Spirit