Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running a Mail Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running a Mail Server

pop96pop96 Member

Hello, I'd like to host my own mail, Google Apps prices are really high so I'd like to host it on my own server. Is there any good tutorial on how-to do it? Any help/suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• camargcamarg Member

iredmail is quite simple to setup iredmail.org/docs/

Thanked by 1Zappie
  • If you want to use Virtualmin, it would be fine :)

Try Marteen tutorial here

Otherwise, iredmail would be the easiest way to do

• pop96 said: Hello, I'd like to host my own mail, Google Apps prices are really high so I'd like to host it on my own server. Is there any good tutorial on how-to do it? Any help/suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Why not get a domain with Grandfathered Google Apps for one time fee?

• pop96pop96 Member

@TheKiller said:
    Why not get a domain with Grandfathered Google Apps for one time fee?

Could you please be more specific please? :P

EDIT; https://www.gaapps.com/all-plans.html this?

• Nope, I do have domains with grandfathered accounts. Pm'ed you the details.

• camargcamarg Member

I have some domains with google apps free edition. I can sell you one for $7 of you're interested

• Mailinabox.email

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

pop96 said: for one time fee

There is zero guarantee whatsoever that this will always be free... or knowing Google, even that they will not randomly discontinue it at some point.

• @rm_ said:
    There is zero guarantee whatsoever that this will always be free... or knowing Google, even that they will not randomly discontinue it at some point.

I don't think so it will be discontinued in near future. Use it as long as it is free and then upgrade when they're going to discontinue, but not in coming few year IMO.

Thanked by 1i10zr
  • Well it looks like time is up for Google Apps free accounts

• wychwych Member

Go with @Jar's mxroute ;)

Thanked by 1jar
  • cassacassa Member

I used http://zoho.com some time ago.

Otherwise, I'd say http://mxroute.com

Thanked by 1jar
  • Yep, iRedMail is easy to setup. But it'll eat a bunch of ram (ClamAV and so on), if you set it up yourself and only the required stuff, you could run a mail server on a 128mb VPS or even smaller ones. But if you've got some ram to spare this should be no problem.

• Setting up postfix/exim is normally quite easy, but I don't suggest such an approach for production use unless you are 100% confident and tested everything.

Mxroute is great if you don't want to setup a mail server, I use them for my personal domains and no issues as far as missing emails!

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Well here is a lowendbox guide from some time ago using vitualmin - http://lowendbox.com/blog/your-own-mail-server-with-virtualmin/ , but like others, I do recommend use iredmail also. pretty straight forward and easy to use and setup

• DroidDroid Member
    edited June 2015

energytech said: Well it looks like time is up for Google Apps free accounts

What do you mean?

• @xClone84 said:

He meant to use Google apps free subscription for email, I think.

• received this "IMPORTANT: Your Google Apps account will close July 6, 2015
    Hello Administrator,

Your ########.### Google Apps account was purchased from a reseller that violated our Terms of Service, with no right to sell it to you."

• @energytech said:
    received this "IMPORTANT: Your Google Apps account will close July 6, 2015
    Hello Administrator,

Your ########.### Google Apps account was purchased from a reseller that violated our Terms of Service, with no right to sell it to you."

When?

• received it yesterday, I have a MXroute account so will move over to that for the time being. This Gapp account has my own domains on, I have another account with a clients domain, haven't received anything regarding that yet.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

@energytech said:
    Hello Administrator,

Wow, is this real? How can google even come to this conclusion unless someone told them so?

• energytech said: received this "IMPORTANT: Your Google Apps account will close July 6, 2015 Hello Administrator,

Who was it from?

• Anyone else receive one of these emails? (from Google.com)

• @energytech said:
    Anyone else receive one of these emails? (from Google.com)

Still not.

• AeneAene Member

Interesting development. I was thinking about giving away one of my Google app domains, but I guess I might as well let it expire then.

• @energytech said:
    received it yesterday, I have a MXroute account so will move over to that for the time being. This Gapp account has my own domains on, I have another account with a clients domain, haven't received anything regarding that yet.

Did you also own the domain of this account?

• I think they're tracking domains which had same recovery email address for several domains.

• @Droidzone said:
    Did you also own the domain of this account?

Did and still do, 3 months to renewal of domain. The email went to the Gapp account admin and the domain's whois contact email address. It looks genuine as only Google would know the Gapp admin email address (it's an unrelated/linked domain).

• energytech said: (it's an unrelated/linked domain).

Hmm.. I've also "given" google apps linked domains in the past. At least they got at least 2 years worth use out of it.

• comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited June 2015

@energytech said:
    Hello Administrator,

Take a look here http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/54552/google-apps-free-account-closed-lost-chromebook-storage-offer#latest

Can you copy the email header and paste to pastebin.com and send the link here?

Do you still have the Google Apps account working @energytech? PM me if you still have, I will contact the Google supporter that I know to check what is happening.