Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you install a mail server on every VPS? How else do you get messages sent to root/
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you install a mail server on every VPS? How else do you get messages sent to root/

I imagine most of you have several different VPS you manage. Do you install a mail server on each one?

If not, how do you receive error messages, etc directed at root, or do you just not get them?

Looking for an easy way to receive e-mail's sent to root with minimal configuration on each VPS.

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I just don't get them. There has never been anything important in them at all

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Add your e-mail address to /root/.forward and then use this to ensure delivery: https://github.com/KuJoe/Sendmail-to-SSMTP

• tehdantehdan Member

I usually need mail one way or another, so I always install postfix and configure it to use my mail server as a smarthost.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2015

I have no need for a mailserver since I use G/Hotmail

Edit: see the rest of my post here

For some reason when I post that I get the cloudflare blocked error...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@hostnoob said:
    I have no need for a mailserver since I use G/Hotmail

Edit: see the rest of my post here

Yeah, my previous post covers that.

• I just install postfix on every VPS, in the ubuntu repos it is no open relay anyway by default. You can even leave port 25 incoming closed if it's only about outgoing mail. That's however for actual outgoing mail like logwatch. About mail to users like root...? I don't really care (although you'll get it with that method as well)

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I've been using PaperTrail free package for a few months now. Works pretty good :)