Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to know how much neighbours you've got in your OpenVZ VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to know how much neighbours you've got in your OpenVZ VPS

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Nomad said: Kansas shows

Ah ok, Lowest density Inception Hosting ran LES node then :p

Thanked by 1netomx
  • grep devices /proc/cgroups
    devices 4 22 1

• Classic VPS @ BHS (OVH)

grep devices /proc/cgroups
    devices 5       45      1

Classic VPS @ RBX (OVH)

devices 5       38      1
    Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • coolicecoolice Member

@trexos said:
    httpzoom: no return
    ramnode: no return
    weloveservers: no return
    apexy: no return
    colorhost: no return

heh?

that are the providers that run KernelCare (node is patched) .... Kernel Care definitely working ....

this thread is a good list of providers with unpatched or old kernels ....

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited May 2015

TinyTunnel_Tom said: I hate this. Means retards can just lay any issue on "oh I got 59 other people on my node,

Only retards think this way, fortunately.

EDIT: Just checked all of my LES.

• NanoVZ Falkenstein - 313
    • NanoVZ Kansas City - 314
    • LES Miami - 16
    • LES Tokyo - 373
  • @kcaj said:
    - LES Tokyo - 373
    @kcaj said:
    - LES Tokyo - 373

That's pretty good. For €3/yr

Obviously this tells you nothing if hosts use slabbing though :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • vladka24vladka24 Member
    edited May 2015

BoltVM:

edit: seems to be patched :\

• sleddogsleddog Member

I did this on a few OVZ containers last week.

One showed over 1300 :) The VM ran just fine and performed pretty good. Still does. But they have cgroup disclosure patched now :)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

BoltVM

devices 3       2  

Woop!!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@pop96 said:
    LU VZ buyvm

devices 3 62 1

Howdy neighbor :)

• devices 4 162 1

:D

• ATHKATHK Member

LES JPN

dan@vpn:~# grep devices /proc/cgroups
    devices 4 373 1

The only one that worked for me..

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Useless number is useless. :)

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@KuJoe said:
    Useless number is useless. :)

You can have a host with only a few vps on a node that are more unstable than a node with 300+ vps. Always depend of the sysadmin and tweaking.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I'm going to cross post these here so people can understand how useless this number is:

Post 1:

Everybody here should know by now that I am all for transparency and honesty (which leads to trust) but at the same time I am all for businesses to be allowed to make their own decisions about how transparent or honest they want to be. If clients ask me an exact number of VPSs on any given node, I won't tell them because the number is irrelevant and means nothing to them and the only thing it would do is scare away new clients who see a number over 20 and go "OMG my disk IO will be in the KB/s, my network speed will be slower than dial-up, and the CPUs are probably maxed out 24x7" not even bothering to look at our server status page or read reviews. For current clients, they could use that number as an excuse where it doesn't belong "My VPS is running slow now and it will never get better because that's expected when you have X VPSs on a node, time to cancel" not even bothering to check if there's a hardware issue or something minor that we are working on. Do we advertise that we don't oversell? No we don't, we explain it right in our FAQ.

Luckily there are a ton of clients and knowledgeable people on this forum who understand that overselling != diminished performance, unfortunately for every one of those there are thousands that don't understand that and thus why advertising the population of a node is not beneficial to a VPS provider who's business relies on sales from the general public where the vast majority aren't very technically inclined and will quickly judge a company based on the negatives of the virtualization used (i.e. OpenVZ is always oversold and companyA has X VPSs per node so they are more oversold than companyB even though the real numbers don't add up). Imagine if there was a website that listed all of the VPS providers and the number of VPSs per node, now imagine John Q visits that website and sees a provider they used that really sucked performance-wise with 100 VPSs per node. They look for another provider and find a really nice one but they have 101 VPSs per node and John remembers how bad the performance was with 100 VPSs per node so they don't even bother to see that the new provider doesn't sell 2GB plans for $12/year and doesn't use the a bargain bin special OVH server.

The bottom line is that the number of VPSs per node has no impact on anything and cannot be used to quantify anything performance-wise. All you have is a number out of context of anything and will mean different things for different providers. If the number was broken down to show you have much RAM and disk space each VPS got, then you could see how oversold a node is but even that doesn't give you a view point of the server's performance. Now if the number was broken down by CPU, RAM/swap, or disk IO usage, then you can get an idea of how over/underworked the server is, but you could see that by using your VPS for a while and gauging the responsiveness and running benchmarks. I guess you can use the number to keep track of a company's sales or turnover, but that's not something most companies are willing to disclose either.

For us vpsBoarders, that number is a neat metric but nothing else. Instead of wanting to see the number of VPSs per node, try the VPS in the real world and see if it fits your needs or not instead of relying on a number to calculate it for you.

Post 2:

This thread got me thinking about how we can instill confidence in our clients and potential clients without the need for this useless number and I hope I'm on the right track: http://drgn.biz/servers/

For a fun little experiment, try to guess how many VPSs per node using the ranges below and see if you can determine the node population based on actual performance metrics:

More than 200 VPSs (2 nodes)
    100-199 VPSs (3 nodes)
    50-99 VPSs (3 nodes)
    Less than 50 VPSs (1 nodes)

Also take note of the server name: ovz = OpenVZ, kvm = KVM, bkup = OpenVZ

So who wants to take the challenge and see how real world performance correlates to the number of VPSs on a node?

• Wow, great tutorial, thanks guys!

• creepcreep Member

devices 4 942 1

• roykemroykem Member

Well, i took this info just as "glad to know"ish thing.
    Fun to know how many neighbors in my node, thats all.

Will try this on several vps i had for sure. ;)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

AnthonySmith said: Obviously this tells you nothing if hosts use slabbing though :)

which host is slabbing? would you buy a vm from them?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

AnthonySmith said: lowest density LES node!
    devices 4 373 1

Is it fairly accurate?

• WilliamWilliam Member

A mod that can't edit and instead doubleposts... something new.

jcaleb said: which host is slabbing? would you buy a vm from them?

OVH does, LES is of course slabed as well.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Slabbing in itself is not bad, depends on how it is managed and implemented.

Bottom of line: Good and consistent performance, good uptime, low price, good provider. Everything else is for bored kids.

• edited May 2015

@KuJoe rocks. I love his service(s). The Tampa location was darn reliable with something like 32/64 mb. Now I only use their shared hosting which is great. In about 2 years I never opened a support ticket.

@William said:
    A mod that can't edit and instead doubleposts... something new.

OVH does, LES is of course slabed as well.

only LES japan.

@jcaleb said:

yep, and I don't have an issue with slabbing.

Thanked by 2jcaleb ATHK
  • Outsider q - Why would a host do virtualization within a virtualization?

deadbeef said: Why would a host do virtualization within a virtualization?

Its not virtualization within a virtualization it is containers within full hardware virtualization which is quite different.

The reasons are that it is almost loss-less against native anyway, and you can get more density, it also helps you balance loads and in turn give cheaper prices to customers.

Thanked by 2deadbeef jcaleb
  • FritzFritz Veteran
    edited May 2015

devices 4 217 1

K9vps

• It is pretty absurd to think that you can tweak away hundreds of containers.