Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net port/speed questions.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net port/speed questions.

So I current have OneProvider using there France server which is in a Online.net data centre. Well I really have no clue what my real gurenteed port speed is but I think it's 100mbps but 99% of the time it's saturated fully at 200mbps. And most of the time pages , and basic sites won't load due to all the bw being used.

Anyway the classic dedi box on online.net website promises 300mbps. Any exspeinace on that? One worry is will they throttle after a certain amount of bw usage? In 24 days with my current provider I've used about 32TB of bw. I couldn't have my port lowered anymore than what it already is. If I can have "unmetered" and keep 300mbps I think I will pay the setup fee just to get it.

Comments

• When I had a server with oneprovider in the online.net DC they seemed to throttle Btsync but most other stuff was reasonably quick, I suspect they also had some congestion issues around the busy periods as latency monitoring would show some spikes.

That said they were cheap, support was a bit slow at responding but generally helpful and if not running a latency sensitive application the server was fine.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2015

In 24 days with my current provider I've used about 32TB of bw.

You.. what? Thats 950TB/month or ~3000Mbit. I doubt you have a 10GE port...

EDIT; Nevermind, days, not hours...

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

hyelton said: I really have no clue what my real gurenteed port speed is but I think it's 100mbps but 99% of the time it's saturated fully at 200mbps. And most of the time pages , and basic sites won't load due to all the bw being used.

I cannot understand you. You complain that you have a 100mbit port, you are able to saturate the port at 200mbit but then, your sites cannot load fast because all fo your bandwidth is used?
    You mean, that you have a service like torrenting, that eats you all the bandwidth and in the same server you host some sites that cannot eat bandwidth?
    Anyway, Oneprovider gives you unmetered bandwidth in a 100mbit port, but some servers has actually 1gbit port. In this case, the garanteeded bandwidth is still 100mbit and sometimes you can burst more, sometimes no.
    Online's.net dedis have 1gib port (most of them) but the guarantee bandwidth is 200-300 mbit (i've seen different offers). Most of the users can get incredible speeds of much over 300mbit, but if you do it for long time, you may be warned (there are some threads here that users said so, if I remember well).
    Ask sales before you buy on what exactly you want in terms of bandwidth and see if it fulfill your needs

• I don't torrent I host s ton of large files. All legit.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of online.net about being warned as what I'm doing I can just stop then I'd have to go through all of this again and wasted setup fee. I tried to get ahold of sales over the phone but it ring for 10min

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Host the files to a different server than the actual sites. Put a cap on your download speed. DIstribute files to several servers. Do a round-robin system. Follow what the specs of your box let you do. And open a ticket to online.net after opening an account https://console.online.net/en/user/subscribe